Old 24-07-2006, 11:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default pumpkins

I am growing Ushiki Kuri winter squash/pumpkin. Right now it is producing
lots (well 10 or so) of small pumpkins. Should I leave it to its own
devices or should I select a few to pamper? I presume, tey will not ripen
for ages yet. Just now they are the size of eggs or smaller. They need to
get to maybe 15-20cm (say 6 inches or so) across yet. Some of the small
ones are rotting off hence my keeness to intervene.

Des in sub tropical balmy Dublin

Old 24-07-2006, 12:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Des Higgins wrote:
I am growing Ushiki Kuri winter squash/pumpkin. Right now it is producing
lots (well 10 or so) of small pumpkins. Should I leave it to its own
devices or should I select a few to pamper? I presume, tey will not ripen
for ages yet. Just now they are the size of eggs or smaller. They need to
get to maybe 15-20cm (say 6 inches or so) across yet. Some of the small
ones are rotting off hence my keeness to intervene.

It's a prolific gourd - but I would select the best ones and remove the
others, especially if they look rotten/rubbish. I've heard they don't
like water on their leaves in sunshine - start using straw under them
so that they don't rot if you water a lot, especially at the moment,
and that will keep moisture more in the ground.

I must share something delicious: I've bought, at a little deli cafe, a
few tiny pumpkins, about 6/8cm, filled with cream cheese. The pumpkins
(patty pan bright yellow) were pickled. I think next year I'll have a
go )

Pumpkins on a Slope? Do Deer Eat Pumpkins? (etc.) contrapositive Edible Gardening 3 23-04-2004 04:04 PM
Pumpkins on a Slope? Do Deer Eat Pumpkins? (etc.) contrapositive Gardening 0 22-04-2004 02:02 AM
Hulless-seeded pumpkins David Auker Edible Gardening 0 04-11-2003 04:12 AM
Pumpkins Jon United Kingdom 3 24-06-2003 01:56 PM
Bugs & pumpkins SG1 Australia 0 05-04-2003 06:32 AM