Old 26-07-2006, 11:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default OT Wasps

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

"david taylor" wrote in message

We had four young children at home(Cheshire), together with fruit trees
and apart from one in the house roof, I used to knock off the adjacent
nests around the second week in August.
Regards
David T

The only one we ever destroyed in our own garden (we've had them most
years) was underground on a bank where the (five) children played and dug.
Vibration alarms wasps so I did the sad deed. Now I realise that I should
have put a barrier round the area and told the children not to run and dig
within its boundary. Mind you, the nest was fully mature when I first
became aware of it and nobody had suffered.

We never perceived a problem with nests in trees of any kind, bird boxes
and sheds - still don't.

Most of the time when people ask me to clear nests I persuade them to keep
them. When they're determined I charge a lot of money.

Mary

I know the value of wasps-principal food insects, including aphids. They
do become a real pest as the summer progresses and the nests grow larger.

Earlier in the year you can work near a nest and they won't bother. Later on
the outriders come to investigate especially if you wander into the flight
path. A chance sting releases pheremones which brings on a mass attack and
this is the real risk with children.
I recall an attack which reached the national press, when a toddler was
killed by wasps which had been disturbed by a groupof older children who ran
away.
Don't be paranoid about them but treat them with respect. AND! Don't charge
if a neighbour needs a hand. It is antisocial and they may be able to do you
a good turn another day.
regards
David T

Old 26-07-2006, 09:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"david taylor" wrote in message

Earlier in the year you can work near a nest and they won't bother. Later
on the outriders come to investigate especially if you wander into the
flight path.

Not in my (long) experience.

A chance sting releases pheremones which brings on a mass attack and this
is the real risk with children.

Well, that's debatable.

As for killing children, a chance meeting with a moving vehicle can - and
does - kill children. Do we destroy all vehicles? Children are killed by
dogs. Do we kill all dogs?

I recall an attack which reached the national press, when a toddler was
killed by wasps which had been disturbed by a groupof older children who
ran away.

I don't necessarily believe what's in the press.

Don't be paranoid about them

Oh I'm not!

but treat them with respect.

I do.

I treat all animals with respect.

AND! Don't charge if a neighbour needs a hand. It is antisocial and they
may be able to do you a good turn another day.

I'm regarded locally as THE wasp and bee expert - which I am. Just because I
charge someone who won't listen to sense doesn't harm my reputation - they
come back again :-)

I know about wasps, I've studied them for a long time.

Mary

Old 27-07-2006, 01:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Des Higgins wrote:
"Cat(h)" wrote in message
ups.com...

Broadback wrote:
Love eating out this weather, but since receiving multiple wasp stings a
few years ago I have become allergic to them; this means that I am very
anxious when wasps are about, so cannot enjoy eating out as I did.
This brings me to 2 questions. First in an earlier life I used to
holiday a lot in Greece and cannot recall seeing wasps there, is it my
poor memory or are they not as common as the UK? Secondly is there any
way to keep them away from the table area? I know that jam jars with a
little jam and water act as traps, would that work to attract them away
from the table? Any help would be appreciated.

We used to have a little glass contraption at home to keep them away
from the terrace. To give you an idea of the shape, if you can picture
a wine bottle with the inny bottom bit cut off, leaving a groove in
which you put some sugary water. You suspend the (closed on top)
bottle from a tree, or some other point removed from your picnic spot,
and it attracts wasps away. I am quite sure those must still be
available. It's quite effective, but when you eat out, you also bring
other stuff onto the table which they are equally likely to be
attracted to...

Cat(h) (well, that wasn't very helpful, was it :-(

when I lived in the UK, (1995,96 south of Cambridge), wasps were EVERYWHERE.
Some pubs/beer gardens became grim in the summer.
Our garden had a small orchard and at the peak of waspiness, there was what
literally loooked like a fog of wasps over the ground.
I also lived in Germany and there were plenty in the Summer although not as
much as what we had in England.
Back in Ireland, there are a few of them ok but relatively speaking we are
wasp free compared to those two Summers in England.
We also do not get hornets which helps as you have to change underwear every
time you see one of the really huge ones.
What does all that mean? I have no idea.

Des

We used to have lots of wasps and hornets in the garden when I was a
kid. We tolerated the wasps OK, because, by and large, if you don't
keep gesticulating and freaking them out, they are rather unlikely to
sting. I also suspect that our tolerance of wasps was largely due to
the fact that they paled into insignificance compared with their
ginormous cousins... the hornets were fewer (thank goodness), but we
*definitely* didn't compete with them for territory if they decided to
come and visit our play area...

Cat(h)

Old 27-07-2006, 04:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Cat(h) wrote:
Des Higgins wrote:
"Cat(h)" wrote in message
ups.com...

Broadback wrote:
[...]

Was in France 2 weeks ago; boat on canal du midi; ended up in Homps
near Carcassonne; tried Cassoulet; lots of beans; Corbieres and
Minervois and Fitou wines nice; saw no hornets tank god; huge buggers;
did see cigales (some fell into boat and scared the living daylights
out of the kids; big flat insects);

Hornets are like something designed in hollywood to be scary but much
much scarier.
The big ones are surreal.

Cat(h)

Old 27-07-2006, 05:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Was in France 2 weeks ago; boat on canal du midi;

Oh blast :-((

Not done that one and meant to :-((

Did the Panama, the Suez and the Corinth earlier this year whilst on a World
Cruise, but forgot the Canal Du Midi.

Friend of mine did it years ago and I am tempted :-)) Good is it? He did
English Channel to the Med.

Suggestions please. Own boat, Hire, or Excursion Cruise and let someone else
do the hard work?????????? :-))

Mike

www.rnshipmates.co.uk

Old 27-07-2006, 05:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Mike wrote:

Was in France 2 weeks ago; boat on canal du midi;

Oh blast :-((

Not done that one and meant to :-((

Did the Panama, the Suez and the Corinth earlier this year whilst on a World
Cruise, but forgot the Canal Du Midi.

Friend of mine did it years ago and I am tempted :-)) Good is it? He did
English Channel to the Med.

Suggestions please. Own boat, Hire, or Excursion Cruise and let someone else
do the hard work?????????? :-))

It is just a canal so it is normal to just get your own hire boat and
drive around. The locks get crowded in August but otherwise they are
v. easy to drive. We hired from Connoisseur because they have an
office/fleet in Ireland and we booked here but they are all over europe
(http://www.connoisseurafloat.com/).

It was beautiful; we went from the Rhone across teh edge of teh
Camargue, along the med and then inland through quaint villages and
past long lines of huge plane trees on banks. Tons of birds; lots of
mosquitoes but no hornets or wny wasps (too early?).

Mike

www.rnshipmates.co.uk

Old 27-07-2006, 05:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thanks Dazz

Guess where we will be soon :-))

Got a couple of Cruises booked for next year, but looking to the future :-))
Might do a World again in 2009 but ....... :-))

Mike

www.rnshipmates.co.uk

wrote in message
oups.com...

Old 28-07-2006, 10:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

(
http://www.connoisseurafloat.com/).

It was beautiful; we went from the Rhone across teh edge of teh
Camargue, along the med and then inland through quaint villages and
past long lines of huge plane trees on banks. Tons of birds; lots of
mosquitoes but no hornets or wny wasps (too early?).

Mike

www.rnshipmates.co.uk

Getting back on track to wasps, my record is 30+ stings. Was as a kid,
out blackberrying and put my bag of blackberries on top of a wasps
nest, didn't know of course, when I'd picked them and put them in my
bag, I lifted the bag to move on, the wasps get out, too immense
exception to me and started to sting, I dropped my bag and ran. Well
the lad I was with said it was like a cartoon, with someone running and
a swarm of wasps flying after him, by the time I'd escaped home I'd
over 30 stings, luckily didn't affect me that badly, but I've not gone
near a wasps nest again!!

Mike

Old 28-07-2006, 10:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Mike in Spain wrote:
wrote:
Mike wrote:

[...]

I was stung by a bumble bee as a toddler; it is my earliest memory.
I cannot face wasps flying near my head ever since; I cannot resist
waving like an idiot at them; I have not been stung since but it is a
very very powerful memory.

Wasp stings do seem milder than bumble bee stings which makes it just
as well that b-bees are very placid and non-agressive. My son and
daughter were both stungs by wasps as kids and neither seemed too put
out.

Still, 30 stings as a kid would scare the living daylights out of ya.

Des in Globally Warmed Dublin

Mike

Old 28-07-2006, 11:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Maybe a bit late, but we usually flame them out, put a bit of petrol
down & drop a match.

Cuts the numbers right down, if not eliminating them!

Old 28-07-2006, 01:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I was stung by a bumble bee when I was a kid too - still have the scar.
I had never been stung by a wasp until the other year. One flew into
me, got caught in my arm, buzzed a bit and flew off. A few minutes
later my arm hurt a little and I realised I'd been stung. It was like
being stung by a nettle. Granted my skin is probably a bit tougher now
than it was when I was a kid but I don't see them as such a threat as I
used to.

Fine if you are not allergic to them. I am not and as you say, they feel
like a nettle sting, but my wife is VERY allergic to them to such a degree
that it is on her Medical Records. The last time she was stung, her arm
swelled up to an enormous state and she was quite poorly for some time.

Different people different reactions and for someone to come on here and say
"Wasp stings are no problem", (no not you but others have implied 'in
general') then they want to go to the Hospitals and Medical Centres. Or if
they are really brave, come and tell my wife :-(((((

Mike

www.rnshipmates.co.uk

Old 29-07-2006, 09:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Broadback
writes

All I need is to find a paper bag, rare these days, I wonder if in a
few years they will be for sale in antique shops. ;-)
Ps, I guess if it works the Summer will end in a matter of hours.

Most gift shops give you stuff in paper bags and cake shops also! Of
course you'll have to force yourself to eat the cakes first.
On the other hand most garden centres sell loose bird seed in paper
bags.

There's even a Bag'n'Box man who sells nothing but - in Banbury.

Janet

--
Janet Tweedy
Amersham Gardening Association
Old 29-07-2006, 07:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Mary
Fisher writes

I suspect there's at least one supplier n every town or city. I use two in
Leeds and there must be more - but I have to buy 1,000 at a time :-)

So do I sometimes when people want them overprinted

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 30-07-2006, 09:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
In article , Mary Fisher
writes

I suspect there's at least one supplier n every town or city. I use two in
Leeds and there must be more - but I have to buy 1,000 at a time :-)

So do I sometimes when people want them overprinted

It's not overprinting in my case, I've never wanted or asked about that.
It's because they're so cheap, it's not worth splitting packs.

Since I mentioned two Leeds suppliers I've remembered three more. There will
be others :-)

Mary

WAsps, wasps and more wasps Broadback United Kingdom 69 09-08-2004 09:57 AM
How to Kill spiders wasps earwigs centipedes etc Kat Gardening 14 16-05-2003 11:56 PM
the truth about wasps...and contrition Edible Gardening 0 08-05-2003 10:20 PM
Ground Wasps Lar Gardening 2 01-05-2003 05:44 AM
Wasps nest in the attic Peter Crosland United Kingdom 30 07-12-2002 07:56 PM