Old 24-07-2006, 12:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default OT Wasps

Love eating out this weather, but since receiving multiple wasp stings a
few years ago I have become allergic to them; this means that I am very
anxious when wasps are about, so cannot enjoy eating out as I did.
This brings me to 2 questions. First in an earlier life I used to
holiday a lot in Greece and cannot recall seeing wasps there, is it my
poor memory or are they not as common as the UK? Secondly is there any
way to keep them away from the table area? I know that jam jars with a
little jam and water act as traps, would that work to attract them away
from the table? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 24-07-2006, 01:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Broadback wrote:
Love eating out this weather, but since receiving multiple wasp stings a
few years ago I have become allergic to them; this means that I am very
anxious when wasps are about, so cannot enjoy eating out as I did.
This brings me to 2 questions. First in an earlier life I used to
holiday a lot in Greece and cannot recall seeing wasps there, is it my
poor memory or are they not as common as the UK? Secondly is there any
way to keep them away from the table area? I know that jam jars with a
little jam and water act as traps, would that work to attract them away
from the table? Any help would be appreciated.

We used to have a little glass contraption at home to keep them away
from the terrace. To give you an idea of the shape, if you can picture
a wine bottle with the inny bottom bit cut off, leaving a groove in
which you put some sugary water. You suspend the (closed on top)
bottle from a tree, or some other point removed from your picnic spot,
and it attracts wasps away. I am quite sure those must still be
available. It's quite effective, but when you eat out, you also bring
other stuff onto the table which they are equally likely to be
attracted to...

Cat(h) (well, that wasn't very helpful, was it :-(

Old 24-07-2006, 02:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Cat(h) wrote:
Broadback wrote:
[...]

They like meat more. I know it sounds horrible, but attract them away
from your table with some and you'll see the difference.

Old 24-07-2006, 02:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Cat(h)" wrote in message
ups.com...

Broadback wrote:
[...]

when I lived in the UK, (1995,96 south of Cambridge), wasps were EVERYWHERE.
Some pubs/beer gardens became grim in the summer.
Our garden had a small orchard and at the peak of waspiness, there was what
literally loooked like a fog of wasps over the ground.
I also lived in Germany and there were plenty in the Summer although not as
much as what we had in England.
Back in Ireland, there are a few of them ok but relatively speaking we are
wasp free compared to those two Summers in England.
We also do not get hornets which helps as you have to change underwear every
time you see one of the really huge ones.
What does all that mean? I have no idea.

Des

Old 24-07-2006, 02:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"La Puce" wrote in message
ps.com...

Cat(h) wrote:
Broadback wrote:
[...]

early in the season they are mainly carnivourous; later in the summer
(August or so) they switch (partly or mainly) to sugar and it is then that
they start annoying you as they get attracted to your jam sandwich.

Old 24-07-2006, 02:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"La Puce" wrote in message
ps.com...

They like meat more. I know it sounds horrible, but attract them away
from your table with some and you'll see the difference.

That depends on the season - because of a wonderful and fascinating lufe
cycle. At this time of you're they're becoming more and more attracted to
sugar.

Mary

Old 24-07-2006, 04:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 24/7/06 12:49, in article , "Broadback"
wrote:

Love eating out this weather, but since receiving multiple wasp stings a
few years ago I have become allergic to them; this means that I am very
anxious when wasps are about, so cannot enjoy eating out as I did.
This brings me to 2 questions. First in an earlier life I used to
holiday a lot in Greece and cannot recall seeing wasps there, is it my
poor memory or are they not as common as the UK? Secondly is there any
way to keep them away from the table area? I know that jam jars with a
little jam and water act as traps, would that work to attract them away
from the table? Any help would be appreciated.

IME, Greece has some *horrendous* wasp colonies. And I speak as one who held
onto the boarding ladder at the back of a yacht and was towed out of an
infested and deservedly deserted bay after a major wasp attack as we dropped
anchor!
If we get major wasp trouble, we take the top third off a plastic water
bottle which has its screw cap removed. Invert the top third into the
remainder of the bottle and put some beer into the bottle. Make holes for
string and suspend from a distant tree or stand in a sunny place well away
from your table. The wasps go down into the bottle to find the beer but
don't find the way out again. Bit like the lobster pot principle.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 24-07-2006, 04:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

We've got plenty here in Spain, look more like a hornet, but I am
assured that they are wasps, and that they DO sting. Not tried them out
yet. They seem to love the flowers, and seem to fly around the
greenery, perhaps looking for caterpillars etc.
Mike

Old 24-07-2006, 05:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Broadback writes
Love eating out this weather, but since receiving multiple wasp stings
a few years ago I have become allergic to them; this means that I am
very anxious when wasps are about, so cannot enjoy eating out as I did.

SNIP
Secondly is there any way to keep them away from the table area? I know
that jam jars with a little jam and water act as traps, would that work
to attract them away from the table? Any help would be appreciated.

They seem to be particularly attracted to yellow. We were once at a
barbecue, and a woman arrived in a yellow dress: within minutes she was
absolutely covered in wasps. She rushed home and changed into another
colour, and was all right after that. Since then we have avoided yellow
tablecloths, umbrellas, and especially clothes....

--
Klara, Gatwick basin
Old 24-07-2006, 08:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Broadback" wrote in message
Love eating out this weather, but since receiving multiple wasp stings a
few years ago I have become allergic to them; this means that I am very
anxious when wasps are about, so cannot enjoy eating out as I did.
This brings me to 2 questions. First in an earlier life I used to
holiday a lot in Greece and cannot recall seeing wasps there, is it my
poor memory or are they not as common as the UK? Secondly is there any
way to keep them away from the table area? I know that jam jars with a
little jam and water act as traps, would that work to attract them away
from the table? Any help would be appreciated.

I can remember "dancing" around our table in a restaurant in Corfu,
determined that the wasp following me would not get the chance to sting me.
the waiters thought it highly amusing!

Old 24-07-2006, 10:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Space" wrote in message

"Broadback" wrote in message
Love eating out this weather, but since receiving multiple wasp stings a
few years ago I have become allergic to them; this means that I am very
anxious when wasps are about, so cannot enjoy eating out as I did.
This brings me to 2 questions. First in an earlier life I used to
holiday a lot in Greece and cannot recall seeing wasps there, is it my
poor memory or are they not as common as the UK? Secondly is there any
way to keep them away from the table area? I know that jam jars with a
little jam and water act as traps, would that work to attract them away
from the table? Any help would be appreciated.

I can remember "dancing" around our table in a restaurant in Corfu,
determined that the wasp following me would not get the chance to sting
me.
the waiters thought it highly amusing!

Beer traps are effective. They are useful in orchards, reducing damage to
fruit, but they are not especially effective if you're trying to have a
relaxed meal out of doors. Main problem is that a trap may catch several
dozen wasps over a few days, but the nest which may be within 100m is home
to many thousands.

You have to find the nearby nests if the problem is serious and get rid of
them.
About 30 years ago an experimental chemist-then in his late 50s told me
about his youth when he was one of a gang of lads in Warrington who used to
seek out wasps nests, dig them up and sell each to anglers for a shilling.
Anglers used the grubs for bate.
One of the gang could spot the flight direction of an individual wasp and
trace it back to the nest.
I know that many people tackle wasps' nests in daytime, I don't know what
technique the Warrington lads used.
I have dealt with about a dozen nests over the years and if you can locate
the nest precisely they can be dealt with after dark when the wasps are
inactive.
Regards
David T

Old 25-07-2006, 10:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

david taylor wrote:
"Space" wrote in message
"Broadback" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks all for your informative and helpful answers. I only destroy
wasp nests if I really have to, which is not very often. I will make a
few traps from old 1 litre plastic bottles, also I will try the trick of
blowing up a paper bag, tying the neck with string and have that near
the table. It seems the wasps think it is another nest and stay away!
All I need is to find a paper bag, rare these days, I wonder if in a few
years they will be for sale in antique shops. ;-)
Ps, I guess if it works the Summer will end in a matter of hours.
Old 25-07-2006, 11:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Broadback" wrote in message

Thanks all for your informative and helpful answers. I only destroy wasp
nests if I really have to, which is not very often.

Good for you :-)

I will make a few traps from old 1 litre plastic bottles, also I will try
the trick of blowing up a paper bag, tying the neck with string and have
that near the table. It seems the wasps think it is another nest and stay
away!

I find that very difficult to believe! You frequently find one or more nests
adjacent to each other, sometimes they become one large one. What's more,
wasps are too intelligent to be fooled like that!

All I need is to find a paper bag, rare these days, I wonder if in a few
years they will be for sale in antique shops. ;-)

I have some if you want to try it - brown or white?

:-)

Ps, I guess if it works the Summer will end in a matter of hours.

I wouldn't mind. I've had enough, I've lasted longer than I usually do in
heat ...

Mary

Old 25-07-2006, 05:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Broadback" wrote in message
david taylor wrote:
"Space" wrote in message
"Broadback" wrote in message
[...]

We had four young children at home(Cheshire), together with fruit trees and
apart from one in the house roof, I used to knock off the adjacent nests
around the second week in August.
Regards
David T

Old 25-07-2006, 05:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"david taylor" wrote in message

We had four young children at home(Cheshire), together with fruit trees
and apart from one in the house roof, I used to knock off the adjacent
nests around the second week in August.
Regards
David T

The only one we ever destroyed in our own garden (we've had them most years)
was underground on a bank where the (five) children played and dug.
Vibration alarms wasps so I did the sad deed. Now I realise that I should
have put a barrier round the area and told the children not to run and dig
within its boundary. Mind you, the nest was fully mature when I first became
aware of it and nobody had suffered.

We never perceived a problem with nests in trees of any kind, bird boxes and
sheds - still don't.

Most of the time when people ask me to clear nests I persuade them to keep
them. When they're determined I charge a lot of money.

Mary

WAsps, wasps and more wasps Broadback United Kingdom 69 09-08-2004 09:57 AM
How to Kill spiders wasps earwigs centipedes etc Kat Gardening 14 16-05-2003 11:56 PM
the truth about wasps...and contrition Edible Gardening 0 08-05-2003 10:20 PM
Ground Wasps Lar Gardening 2 01-05-2003 05:44 AM
Wasps nest in the attic Peter Crosland United Kingdom 30 07-12-2002 07:56 PM