Old 24-07-2006, 05:11 PM
Registered User

Location: Barnoldswick, lancashire, United Kingdom
Lightbulb Exotic Plant Frost Protection

Hi, This summer i dicided to have a change and bought a few exotic plants and was wondering how to protect them from frost they are planted in the garden at the moment.

The plants include a few species of Banana (African) and a few Olive Trees, also i would like to know how to protect my Gunnera Manicata plant from frost as this is to large for the house.

I live in the North West in Lancashire if this helps.
Old 24-07-2006, 10:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Exotic Plant Frost Protection

Reptile1234 wrote:
Hi, This summer i dicided to have a change and bought a few exotic
plants and was wondering how to protect them from frost they are
planted in the garden at the moment.

The plants include a few species of Banana (African) and a few Olive
Trees, also i would like to know how to protect my Gunnera Manicata
plant from frost as this is to large for the house.

I live in the North West in Lancashire if this helps.

Hi Reptile??

I put bananas in a cool greenhouse (not less than 0 C) as mine are in
pots - if they're planted out you can either dig and pot them up and do
the same or protect them in the ground.
I think the 2 options are
a) cut leaves off and protect the trunk or

b)cut the trunk down to the ground and just protect the ?corm

Someone will have more idea than me :-)

For Gunnera, when the plant starts to die back, I cut the leaves off and
cover the crown with them (weighted down with bricks to stop them
blowing away).
I'm in NE England so probably colder than where you are and it's
survived 10 years now.

Good luck,

Jeff
Old 25-07-2006, 09:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Reptile1234" wrote in message

Hi, This summer i dicided to have a change and bought a few exotic
plants and was wondering how to protect them from frost they are
planted in the garden at the moment.

The plants include a few species of Banana (African) and a few Olive
Trees, also i would like to know how to protect my Gunnera Manicata
plant from frost as this is to large for the house.

I live in the North West in Lancashire if this helps.
Reptile1234

Jeff's advice is spot on. I am not certain which particular variety of
Banana you are growing but the two that stand a good chance of survival
outside are Musa basjoo and M.sikkimensis. Apart from protecting with fleece
you can add warming cables (if you are as daft as me).
http://www.jungleseeds.co.uk/HardwareOrders/enter.html

As far as Gunnera is concerned I use the leaf method but take them off
occasionally to let the crown have a bit of air. If the crown receives frost
you may end up with the first few leaves disfigured. Slugs can be a problem
as the crown starts to emerge.

BTW Living in Lancashire is of no help:-)

Frost protection for Container Plants doobydoobydo United Kingdom 2 08-06-2006 06:19 PM
Exotic plants for exotic ponds [email protected] Ponds 2 12-03-2006 12:00 AM
Frost Protection Jo North Carolina 1 08-11-2004 08:29 PM
Frost protection? No, seriously, folks... Mark. Gooley Roses 1 03-12-2003 12:03 AM
When To Take Action Against Frost Protection? Fleemo Gardening 10 09-02-2003 08:01 AM