Old 25-07-2006, 10:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Sowing grass on stony ground (ex path)

I have an ex path - it had almost naturalised to weeds/creeping grasses
but i've dug it up now, raked off about 4 inches of stone chips and
what i'm left with is still very stony - to stony to get a fork in.
Where I've dug further into the ground there is a base of larger stones
(maybe 4" to 6" in diameter). Ideally I want this path to merge with
my lawn. I was planning to lay about 4" topsoil on top on the ground
as it is and seed that - it would be too much (manual) work to get all
the larger stones out.

When I say lawn I'm not looking for a carpet I'm not averse to clover
(for the bees) and daisies (for the kids) - I'm just looking for tough
grass which will extend my lawn right to the fence and do away with the
path which was impossible to maintain (just chips laid on soil - not by
me)

.... or should I forget about the grass and redo the path properly.
(But its not the most appealing just a straight line running the length
of my garden.)

Old 25-07-2006, 10:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mook" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Grass will grow regardless of the stones!

Alan

Old 25-07-2006, 11:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

no i don't need a path - thats the idea get rid of the ex path
altogether and just have grass

Old 25-07-2006, 11:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25/7/06 22:09, in article
, "Mook"
wrote:

[...]

Do you actually need the path? Can you just keep some of the grass mown
shorter to create a natural and if wanted, winding path to wherever it's
going? As to the clover and bees - well, think children, bare feet, clover
and bees!

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 25-07-2006, 11:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"Alan Holmes" writes:

| Grass will grow regardless of the stones!

Actually, grass positively LIKES that sort of 'soil'! Provided that they
can get their roots through, 90% gravel and 10% soil is fine by most lawn
grasses.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 25-07-2006, 11:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Mook wrote:
no i don't need a path - thats the idea get rid of the ex path
altogether and just have grass

I'd recommend a hard strip along the fence so you can get the mower
right to the edge of the grass. It only needs to be three or four
inches wide, and bricks are ideal, but you could put back some of the
stone you've painstakingly removed!

--
Mike.