Old 04-02-2012, 03:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Low-growing rapid-spreading ground cover for poor, dry, stony, alkaline soil. (Sunny but windy, Southern plot)?

I'm looking for a reasonably good-looking low rapid-spreading ground cover
for poor, dry, stony, alkaline soil. Some areas of my sunny but windy south
coastal plot, consist af a soil which is about 90% white limestone dust
with only about 10% organic matter. I'd like something that spreads quickly
but is also easy to keep under control. If it keeps it's leaves year-round,
that would be most suitable. Any suggestions?

Thank you...

Old 04-02-2012, 04:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-02-04 15:48:07 +0000, Jim xyz said:

I'm looking for a reasonably good-looking low rapid-spreading ground cover
for poor, dry, stony, alkaline soil. Some areas of my sunny but windy south
coastal plot, consist af a soil which is about 90% white limestone dust
with only about 10% organic matter. I'd like something that spreads quickly
but is also easy to keep under control. If it keeps it's leaves year-round,
that would be most suitable. Any suggestions?

Have a look at Concolvulus cneorum - very pretty, low-growing plant.

Also rather tender, but that may not matter. I would tend to go
for one of the thymes or Helianthemum. Or a mixture.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-02-04 15:48:07 +0000, Jim said:

I'm looking for a reasonably good-looking low rapid-spreading ground cover
for poor, dry, stony, alkaline soil. Some areas of my sunny but windy south
coastal plot, consist af a soil which is about 90% white limestone dust
with only about 10% organic matter. I'd like something that spreads quickly
but is also easy to keep under control. If it keeps it's leaves year-round,
that would be most suitable. Any suggestions?

Thank you...

Have a look at Concolvulus cneorum - very pretty, low-growing plant.

Low-growing? After a few years it could be a metre high. I'm also not
sure how salt-resistant its leaves are.

--

Jeff

Old 04-02-2012, 08:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 04/02/2012 15:48, Jim xyz wrote:
I'm looking for a reasonably good-looking low rapid-spreading ground cover
for poor, dry, stony, alkaline soil. Some areas of my sunny but windy south
coastal plot, consist af a soil which is about 90% white limestone dust
with only about 10% organic matter. I'd like something that spreads quickly
but is also easy to keep under control. If it keeps it's leaves year-round,
that would be most suitable. Any suggestions?

Thank you...

8 possibilities he
http://apps.rhs.org.uk/plantselector...69&hg=135&op=2

--

Jeff
Old 04-02-2012, 08:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Jim xzy wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion. My impression of thymes is that they are very
slow to spread. Is Helienthemum quicker?

Yes, but you can often get small thyme plants very cheaply, so can
buy a dozen. You don't need one with more than a few sprigs and
some roots.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Jeff Layman wrote in
:

8 possibilities he
http://apps.rhs.org.uk/plantselector...nm=&sn=188&as=
183&st=163&ms=166&aa=171&gdt=69&hg=135&op=2

Thank for the suggestions. The lavender and wormwood might suit. I'm also
very interested in these:

Aegopodium Variegatum
Dianthus Tiny Rubies
Isotoma fluviatilis
Thymus coccineus
Delosperma cooperi (hardy ice plant)
Vinca minor (periwinkle)

Does anyone know any pros and cons of the above? Are any unsuitable for
poor, alkaline, dry soil and full sun?

Thanks..

Jim
Old 05-02-2012, 10:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 04/02/2012 23:03, Jim xzy wrote:
Jeff wrote in
:

8 possibilities he
http://apps.rhs.org.uk/plantselector...nm=&sn=188&as=
183&st=163&ms=166&aa=171&gdt=69&hg=135&op=2

Thank for the suggestions. The lavender and wormwood might suit. I'm also
very interested in these:

Aegopodium Variegatum
Dianthus Tiny Rubies
Isotoma fluviatilis
Thymus coccineus
Delosperma cooperi (hardy ice plant)
Vinca minor (periwinkle)

Does anyone know any pros and cons of the above? Are any unsuitable for
poor, alkaline, dry soil and full sun?

Thanks..

Don't touch the Aegopodium with a bargepole. It may be a variegated
form, but it's still Ground Elder. It can revert - that''s all you need
to know! I doubt it would grow well in dry soil anyway.

The Isotoma would need damp soil.

The Delosperma might be OK. Depends on how cold it gets where you are.
"Hardy" is a relative term...

You might also like to consider Carpobrotus edulis (Hottentot Fig).
That is a bit invasive down in Cornwall, but might be better behaved
elsewhere.

--

Jeff
Old 05-02-2012, 10:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Jim xzy wrote:
Jeff Layman wrote in
:

8 possibilities he
http://apps.rhs.org.uk/plantselector...nm=&sn=188&as=
183&st=163&ms=166&aa=171&gdt=69&hg=135&op=2

Thank for the suggestions. The lavender and wormwood might suit. I'm also
very interested in these:

They would, but are not very low-growing. Winter savory and even
the marjorams are, but hyssop doesn't cover ground well. Those
(and the thymes) are all related, and all can handle those conditions.

Aegopodium Variegatum

Invasive.

Thymus coccineus

Similar ones include the native T. serpyllum, T. doefleri (sp?) and
others. All will do.

Delosperma cooperi (hardy ice plant)

Very tender. Maybe not your problem.

Vinca minor (periwinkle)

Doesn't handle drought well, but survives it. Invasive.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 05-02-2012, 10:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-02-04 20:36:20 +0000, Jeff Layman said:

Have a look at Concolvulus cneorum - very pretty, low-growing plant.

Low-growing? After a few years it could be a metre high. I'm also not
sure how salt-resistant its leaves are.

Really? I've always known it as salt tolerant and growing to about
50cm, though the height will vary according to location, as with all
plants. It won't take the coldest gardens but in a south coast garden
which is sunny, it's worth a try, imo.

Nope. Sorry. It won't take significant cold, and starts suffering
at -5 Celsius, which isn't particularly cold. But I agree that it's
worth trying in that location - it IS lovely, all year.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-02-04 15:48:07 +0000, Jim said:

[...]

I wasn't sure of its salt-tolerance. A quick google seems to suggest
that it is/isn't salt tolerant!...

The third photo and comment here would suggest (from experience) it may
not be:
http://www.dyg.ie/seaside-roof-garden-dalkey

--

Jeff
Old 05-02-2012, 12:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Jeff Layman wrote in
:

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/plantselector...s?nm=&sn=188&a
[...]

Thank you kindly for your comments on my list. I looked at some photos of
the Hottentot Fig, and it certainly appeals to me, visually. I think the
flowers look particularly attractive and unusual. Thanks for that one!

Re the hardy ice plant: Winters here are about as mild as any in the UK.
We typically get a few frosty nights and about one day of snow, on
average.) It does get pretty windy for much of the year, as I am only a
few hundred yards from open sea.

I'm trying to determine which of the plants mentioned would serve well as
an anti-erosion measure. That's because one of the boundaries of my
garden is marked by an ancient dry stone wall, going along the top of an
earth bank of dry clayey, soil . That bank needs something permanent
growing on it, (a) to prevent erosion and (b) to smother weeds, and (c)
shade it from the full sun so that it doesn't dry out so severely in
Summer. Every time I pull a weed out of that bank, I'm aware that I am
weakening it a tiny bit. One day, the wall will collapse, but if I can
delay that event by a few years with some suitable ground cover, I'll be
happy. The bank gets very, very dry and powdery in Summer. It's almost a
miracle that the wall is still standing; I'm sure it has no foundations.
Whatever I plant on that bank, it probably shouldn't have roots that go
too deep. Otherwise, if the plant dies, the wall will be undermined when
the roots rot away.

Jim

Old 05-02-2012, 01:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

Jeff Layman wrote in
:

8 possibilities he
http://apps.rhs.org.uk/plantselector...nm=&sn=188&as=
183&st=163&ms=166&aa=171&gdt=69&hg=135&op=2

Thank for the suggestions. The lavender and wormwood might suit. I'm also
very interested in these:

Aegopodium Variegatum
Dianthus Tiny Rubies
Isotoma fluviatilis
Thymus coccineus
Delosperma cooperi (hardy ice plant)
Vinca minor (periwinkle)

Does anyone know any pros and cons of the above? Are any unsuitable for
poor, alkaline, dry soil and full sun?

Thanks..

Jim

Periwinkle is a cheap low risk choice for a tough spot; tolerates poor
conditions; fast evergreen coloniser, minimum maintenance, tough as old
boots.
I prefer vinca major, the two "old " ones with large leaves and single
blue flowers, one is dark green leaf and the other handsomely variegated.

Janet
Old 05-02-2012, 01:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Janet wrote:

Periwinkle is a cheap low risk choice for a tough spot; tolerates poor
conditions; fast evergreen coloniser, minimum maintenance, tough as old
boots.
I prefer vinca major, the two "old " ones with large leaves and single
blue flowers, one is dark green leaf and the other handsomely variegated.

I grow "oxyloba", another old variety with smaller, lighter green,
less glossy leaves but very dark, star-shaped flowers. However,
ALL Vinca major are seriously invasive - even V. minor is pretty
invasive. They are shallow-rooted, so suffer in drought, but
V. major is more resistant.

Most of the plants mentioned so far will help with erosion and
help to reduce weeds.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.