Old 29-07-2006, 12:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default How to remove pampas grass

We have a large pampas grass plant we want to remove, does anyone have
any particularly easy/effective ways of doing it?

I guess we can just dig it up but is there anything to be aware of,
does it have huge roots for example?

We have a tractor so I suppose we could try pulling it out.

--
Chris Green
Old 29-07-2006, 01:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
We have a large pampas grass plant we want to remove, does anyone have
any particularly easy/effective ways of doing it?

I guess we can just dig it up but is there anything to be aware of,
does it have huge roots for example?

We have a tractor so I suppose we could try pulling it out.

--
Chris Green

I had to do this once. I kept putting it off but, eventually, I cut it as
close to the ground as possible (with hegecutter), attacked the stump with
an axe and split it into manageable clumps (about six I seem to remember)
then was able to grub up each one separately.

I won't be planting any more!

Regards

Pat Macguire

Old 29-07-2006, 06:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

http://www.nps.gov/redw/pampas.htm

Old 29-07-2006, 09:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Mr Alun Davies wrote:

"Syke" wrote in message

wrote in message
We have a large pampas grass plant we want to remove, does anyone have
any particularly easy/effective ways of doing it?

I guess we can just dig it up but is there anything to be aware of,
does it have huge roots for example?

We have a tractor so I suppose we could try pulling it out.

http://www.nps.gov/redw/pampas.htm

Yes, well!? :-)

That's an american (US) view of pampas grass, I suspect it may be a
bit more of a problem there. Ours was fine except that we happened to
want to put a small summer house where it was growing.

We managed to move it today by a combination of digging, pulling with
the tractor and using a pressure washer to wash away the soil around
the roots. I think it was the tractor and pressure washer did most of
the work.

We have moved it elsewhere (dragged it with the tractor) and we're
hoping it will survive in its new location as it's not unattractive.

--
Chris Green
Old 30-07-2006, 11:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
writes:
| Mr Alun Davies wrote:

http://www.nps.gov/redw/pampas.htm

| Yes, well!? :-)
|
| That's an american (US) view of pampas grass, I suspect it may be a
| bit more of a problem there. Ours was fine except that we happened to
| want to put a small summer house where it was growing.

Yes. It rarely self-seeds in the UK, though I don't know if that is
because our summers are not hot enough to ripen them, or they rot in
the long, dark, wet winters. VERY few of the USA pest species will
even naturalise here.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Is pampas grass possible in NE facing garden? Louise United Kingdom 2 07-03-2003 06:49 AM
Pampas grass what do we do with it? code_wrong United Kingdom 6 04-03-2003 09:36 PM
Can Pampas Grass cuttings be put in compost? [email protected] United Kingdom 1 03-03-2003 08:10 AM
Pampas Grass Michael United Kingdom 2 29-11-2002 10:53 PM
Pampas Grass Barry Watts United Kingdom 3 08-11-2002 11:27 AM