GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Tetanus every 5-10 years - Please Read - Important! (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/148199-tetanus-every-5-10-years-please-read-important.html)

Vivek.M 29-07-2006 02:14 PM

Tetanus every 5-10 years - Please Read - Important!

Hello, Have you had a tetanus shot in the last 5-10 years - If NO
then please do so! You need to have your tetanus shot RENEWED every 5
years (ideally) else 10 years. If you are older ( past 50 ) then 5
years is better - though a doc i spoke to suggested every 1 year, if
you are past 65 and garden.

If you cut yourself and THEN decide to get a Tetanus shot (for the
first time ever), make sure they give you both the Tetanus vaccine AND
the TIG (Tetanus Immuno Globulin). The TIG contains the actual
antibodies that resist the Clostridium Tetani. The vaccine provides
you with long term immunity (stimulates your body to generate
antibodies, but that takes 3 weeks if you've never had a tetanus
shot). It's safer to get the TIG as well in case of a muddy cut!
Though i haven't done this as yet..(but i do have my booster shots).

READ: http://www.indianpediatrics.net/feb1999/feb-198-200.htm
That's the best article i found on the net that CLEARLY explains what
is what!

I cross-posted earlier but i can't find the post on URG so i guess
you'll have to read it on rec.gardens (this is a lot shorter and minus
a few other links).

The tetanus-vaccine injection was pretty painless, i hardly felt the
prick because i was looking away when she shoved it in and was quite
surprised that it was all over so quickly! The arm is sore though
after a day and i was very slightly feverish. Do it on a Friday or a
Saturday, and get everyone to baby you, and tell them what a great
risk it is and how you avoided death so narrowly. I got to lie in bed
and goof off while Mum danced around and got chocolates and ice-cream,
though they didn't take my suggestion of heaving the whole bowl to the
invalid too well.

Alan Holmes[_1_] 29-07-2006 03:35 PM

"Vivek.M" wrote in message
Hello, Have you had a tetanus shot in the last 5-10 years - If NO
then please do so! You need to have your tetanus shot RENEWED every 5
years (ideally) else 10 years. If you are older ( past 50 ) then 5
years is better - though a doc i spoke to suggested every 1 year, if
you are past 65 and garden.

The last time I went to the doc for a tetnus shot, he said I'd already had
too many and I was imune!

Alan

K 29-07-2006 04:02 PM

Tetanus every 5-10 years - Please Read - Important!

Vivek. M writes
The tetanus-vaccine injection was pretty painless, i hardly felt the
prick because i was looking away when she shoved it in and was quite
surprised that it was all over so quickly! The arm is sore though
after a day and i was very slightly feverish. Do it on a Friday or a
Saturday, and get everyone to baby you, and tell them what a great
risk it is and how you avoided death so narrowly. I got to lie in bed
and goof off while Mum danced around and got chocolates and ice-cream,
though they didn't take my suggestion of heaving the whole bowl to the
invalid too well.

Blimey! How many jabs do you routinely have over there? With our regime
of several during babyhood, then more at 5, more sometime during primary
school and then the wonderful test followed by jab at 14 (if the test
doesn't swell up and become really nasty, you have to have the jab and
that certainly will go nasty), chances of receiving sympathy are remote!
Even if you are running a slight fever.
--
Kay

[email protected] 29-07-2006 04:53 PM

Vivek.M wrote:
though a doc i spoke to suggested every 1 year, if
you are past 65 and garden.

In the UK (and this is uk.rec.gardening) the advice is very different.
In fact, my Doctor refuses to give the 10-year booster to anyone over
50 at all. I can't imagine any way you would be able to get an annual
booster.

Robert[_2_] 29-07-2006 05:11 PM

Tetanus every 5-10 years - Please Read - Important!

wrote in message
ups.com...
:
: In the UK (and this is uk.rec.gardening) the advice is very different.
: In fact, my Doctor refuses to give the 10-year booster to anyone over
: 50 at all. I can't imagine any way you would be able to get an annual
: booster.

Same advice at my docs,tetanus jab not necessary if you had the 3 jab course
:

Nick Maclaren 29-07-2006 05:22 PM

Tetanus every 5-10 years - Please Read - Important!

In article ,
Malcolm writes:

| Who should we believe, the NHS, the Indians, or your somewhat alarmist
| (if I may say so) advice? Unless, of course, you are a qualified
| medic???

Why on earth would that make the slightest difference? None of those
organisations are at all reliable on such topics.

In my life, the dogmatically held belief (and it was usually that, and
not just a recommendation) has changed from every three years, to every
five years, to every ten years, to seven shots in all, to five shots in
all, to every ten years, to five shots in all to God knows what it is now.
And, as usual, few of the changes were based on looking at the statistics,
and none were based on a controlled experiment; some were openly admitted
to be economically or politically inspired.

Every year does seem excessive, and that wasn't the recommendation even
in 1950, but whether every five or ten, or five shots in all, is more of
a matter of guesswork than anything else.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Nick Maclaren 29-07-2006 05:30 PM

"Robert" writes:

| Same advice at my docs,tetanus jab not necessary if you had the 3 jab course

Only THREE? That's the lowest I have heard of yet. I have some reason
to believe that advice isn't entirely reliable, and is based more on
political and economic grounds than medical ones. However, all of the
recommendations are based on what is an acceptable level of risk (i.e.
immunity is NOT absolute, despite what dogma says), and I don't know
the actual numbers.

Given the fact that the main source of tetanus spores largely dried up
over a century back, the number of viable ones much be dropping off.
They are very durable, but a century is a long time even for durable
spores.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) 29-07-2006 05:36 PM

Tetanus every 5-10 years - Please Read - Important!

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
Malcolm writes:

| Who should we believe, the NHS, the Indians, or your somewhat alarmist
| (if I may say so) advice? Unless, of course, you are a qualified
| medic???

Why on earth would that make the slightest difference? None of those
organisations are at all reliable on such topics.

In my life, the dogmatically held belief (and it was usually that, and
not just a recommendation) has changed from every three years, to every
five years, to every ten years, to seven shots in all, to five shots in
all, to every ten years, to five shots in all to God knows what it is now.
And, as usual, few of the changes were based on looking at the statistics,
and none were based on a controlled experiment; some were openly admitted
to be economically or politically inspired.

Every year does seem excessive, and that wasn't the recommendation even
in 1950, but whether every five or ten, or five shots in all, is more of
a matter of guesswork than anything else.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I think you hit the nail on the head when you mentioned economically
motivated. My Doctor said that they no longer give the injection as routine
and would only consider it for a very high risk situation of which gardening
was not one. I never managed to find out what high risk consisted of.
I remember when any cut ended up with that very painful injection on the
bum.

Mike 29-07-2006 05:46 PM

Tetanus every 5-10 years - Please Read - Important!

I remember when any cut ended up with that very painful injection on the
bum.

:-((

Ah yes :-((

But that was for a Boil on the back of the neck !!!!!!!!!!!

Mike
who never did see the connection :-((

other than it was the same body .......................... MINE!!!!!!!

www.rnshipmates.co.uk

Sacha[_1_] 29-07-2006 05:56 PM

Tetanus every 5-10 years - Please Read - Important!

On 29/7/06 17:36, in article , "Rupert (W.Yorkshire)"
wrote:

snip
I remember when any cut ended up with that very painful injection on the
bum.

I don't remember the injections as especially painful and I had them in my
arm. What I do recall is that a hard little bump remained under the skin
for many months afterwards. The only injection that ever knocked me flying
was Rubella which I had in my mid-thirties. I was in bed for two days after
that one!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

[email protected] 29-07-2006 06:06 PM

Tetanus every 5-10 years - Please Read - Important!

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
"Robert" writes:

| Same advice at my docs,tetanus jab not necessary if you had the 3 jab course

Only THREE? That's the lowest I have heard of yet.

I've only ever had 3 - one at one point as a booster - but after what
you say I looked at this:
http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/articles...ectionId=12478

It only refers to the initial jab, mind, not the boosers.

Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) 29-07-2006 06:13 PM

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 29/7/06 17:36, in article , "Rupert
(W.Yorkshire)"
wrote:

snip
I remember when any cut ended up with that very painful injection on the
bum.

I don't remember the injections as especially painful and I had them in my
arm. What I do recall is that a hard little bump remained under the skin
for many months afterwards. The only injection that ever knocked me
flying
was Rubella which I had in my mid-thirties. I was in bed for two days
after
that one!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
(email address on website)

My Mum, who was a nurse, told me that it was painful because of the large
volume of liquid injected. They probably gave it on the bum (pardon the
expression) so that you could not see the massive syringe.
Why you have Rubella injection at 30 something? Sumat to do with impending
pregnancy etc?

Nick Maclaren 29-07-2006 09:14 PM

Malcolm writes:

| Only THREE? That's the lowest I have heard of yet. I have some reason
| to believe that advice isn't entirely reliable, and is based more on
| political and economic grounds than medical ones.
|
| Well, as you're not a medic, what is the basis for your claim that the
| NHS are wrong?

Firstly, I didn't say that they were wrong - I said that their advice was
unreliable. Please read what I say and don't misquote.

Secondly, my "some reason" includes having read official statements saying
precisely that the advice was being changed on economic grounds, as well as
being sufficiently clued-up to be aware of the target-based politics in
the NHS.

Thirdly, I am a statistician, and therefore far better qualified than 95%
of medics and 99% of the NHS and politicians to evaluate such data.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Nick Maclaren 29-07-2006 09:31 PM

Janet Baraclough writes:

| Given the fact that the main source of tetanus spores largely dried up
| over a century back, the number of viable ones much be dropping off.
|
| ???
|
| The lower incidence in the UK today, surely reflects widespread
| human vaccination.

No. Even if I am wrong (see below), a more important factor would be
that a negligible proportion of people work on the land nowadays, and
a small proportion of even those work work on land used for livestock.

| www.nathnac.org/pro/factsheets/tetanus.htm
|
| says
|
| "Tetanus spores are present in the intestine and dung of horses, sheep,
| cattle, dogs, cats, rats, guinea pigs and chickens, and are passed into
| soil via faeces, making them ubiquitous in the environment."

My understanding is that tetanus does not reproduce in the intestine of
mammals, but infects them, and produces spores as the dead body decomposes.
That source dried up over a century back.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Sacha[_1_] 29-07-2006 11:28 PM

Tetanus every 5-10 years - Please Read - Important!

On 29/7/06 18:13, in article , "Rupert (W.Yorkshire)"
wrote:

snip

My Mum, who was a nurse, told me that it was painful because of the large
volume of liquid injected. They probably gave it on the bum (pardon the
expression) so that you could not see the massive syringe.
Why you have Rubella injection at 30 something? Sumat to do with impending
pregnancy etc?

Having had one pregnancy during which I remembered I'd never had Rubella or
the immunisation, I thought I better get the jab before I had any more
children. So I did and I did!
As I say, my Tet injections were in the arm and I don't remember either
massive syringes or pain but maybe nature has been merciful to my memory or
maybe things were a bit simpler in the 70s! I recall that either Typhoid
or Hepatitis jabs - one of those - made me feel a bit peelly wally for a
couple of hours but that's all.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Vivek.M 30-07-2006 04:18 AM

On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 15:52:56 +0100, Malcolm wrote:

READ: http://www.indianpediatrics.net/feb1999/feb-198-200.htm
That's the best article i found on the net that CLEARLY explains what
is what!

I note that the above URL refers to the situation in India.

The advice given by the UK National Health Service differs in saying:

http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/articles...ArticleId=1039

"Tetanus – if all childhood vaccinations are up-to-date, a tetanus
booster is only needed for people who are at risk of getting tetanus
following injury."

The recommended five-dose tetanus immunization schedule is a
primary course of three plus two further booster doses 10 years apart.

Who should we believe, the NHS, the Indians, or your somewhat alarmist
(if I may say so) advice? Unless, of course, you are a qualified
medic???

I never claimed that i was a medic - My purpose was to remind my
fellow gardners about their periodic Tetanus shots and what things to
look into when they see their doc about cuts and bruises (the
importance of a TIG shot and the difference between a TIG and a
tetanus-vaccine).

"Alarmist" - is merely a point of view - Remember when you call my
views alarmist you are taking a stand, on something that you yourself
MAY not be qualified to comment on..Anyway, the important thing here
is to remind ppl to get their 5/10/whatever year shots and let them
decide after interacting with the doc and checking on the Internet and
talking to people.

On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 15:52:56 +0100, Malcolm wrote:
The recommended five-dose tetanus immunization schedule is a
primary course of three plus two further booster doses 10 years apart.

The Mayo Clinic has some info:
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/tet...227/DSECTION=7
This what they say:

"The DTaP vaccine consists of a series of five shots, typically
administered in the arm or thigh and given to children at ages:

* 2 months
* 4 months
* 6 months
* 15 to 18 months
* 4 to 6 years"

"Adults should receive a routine tetanus booster shot every 10 years."

"If you receive a deep or dirty wound and it has been more than five
years since your last booster shot, get another booster shot."

http://www.fda.gov/fdac/features/696_tet.html [Adult immunization]

"Immunization is especially recommended for:
adults, especially those 50 years and older, because most of
the tetanus cases in recent years have occurred in this age group"

"In some individuals, antibody levels may fall too low to provide
protection before 10 years have passed. That's why people who sustain
a deep or contaminated wound should receive a booster dose if it has
been more than five years since the last dose."

http://www.drreddy.com/shots/tetanus.html [Drug company - spells it
out clearly]

"If you are exposed to tetanus within 5 years after your last dose of
vaccine (toxoid), you do not need a booster. If it's between 5 and 10
years after your last dose, you need an early dose of vaccine. If you
haven't had a tetanus immunization in more than 10 years you will need
to have both toxoid and TIG to give you full protection."

Vivek.M 30-07-2006 04:29 AM

On 29 Jul 2006 08:53:56 -0700, wrote:
Vivek.M wrote:
though a doc i spoke to suggested every 1 year, if
you are past 65 and garden.

In the UK (and this is uk.rec.gardening) the advice is very different.
In fact, my Doctor refuses to give the 10-year booster to anyone over
50 at all. I can't imagine any way you would be able to get an annual
booster.

I don't think that he is right. Do remember that tetanus is no
respecter of nationality - Plus the whole uk.rec thing implies that
the newsgroup is for uk specific gardening (issues), but surely that
doesn't mean you can't quote from web-site's outside the UK!

Check out the FDA ( Food and Drug Administration ) web site:
"http://www.fda.gov/fdac/features/696_tet.html" (American regulatory
body)

" Immunization is especially recommended for:
* adults, especially those 50 years and older, because most of the
tetanus cases in recent years have occurred in this age group."

"In some individuals, antibody levels may fall too low to provide
protection before 10 years have passed. That's why people who sustain
a deep or contaminated wound should receive a booster dose if it has
been more than five years since the last dose."

http://www.drreddy.com/shots/tetanus.html ( A Indian pharmaceutical
firm)

Vivek.M 30-07-2006 04:49 AM

On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 17:11:42 +0100, "Robert" wrote:
Same advice at my docs,tetanus jab not necessary if you had the 3 jab course

Rob, that doesn't sound right! "The immune system recognizes vaccine
agents as foreign, destroys them, and 'remembers' them." - Wiki.
Trouble is, this memory isn't perfect and needs constant reminding
every so many years..A persons ability to handle tetanus toxoids
depends on a lot of things like age/size-of-wound/levels-of-
clostridium/ levels-of-antibodies-in-blood-stream.

Actually i dont quite understand what the big fuss is all about - It's
a no brainer to me. I take my shot every 5 years and i keep my immune
system up-to-date (sort of like updating my PC's anti-virus *grin*) I
then get a license to root about, and roll around, in the mud all i
want.

I'd be glad to write a short reminder for URG so that newbies to
gardening are aware about the periodic tetanus shot requirement.

Alan Holmes[_1_] 30-07-2006 08:39 AM

Vivek.M wrote:
though a doc i spoke to suggested every 1 year, if
you are past 65 and garden.

In the UK (and this is uk.rec.gardening) the advice is very different.
In fact, my Doctor refuses to give the 10-year booster to anyone over
50 at all. I can't imagine any way you would be able to get an annual
booster.

I don't think that he is right. Do remember that tetanus is no
respecter of nationality - Plus the whole uk.rec thing implies that
the newsgroup is for uk specific gardening (issues), but surely that
doesn't mean you can't quote from web-site's outside the UK!

It depends upon the origin, if it's american they like to frighten people
without any positive reason.

Alan

SallyJ 30-07-2006 09:08 AM

Tetanus every 5-10 years - Please Read - Important!

Clearly there are differences in UK and US recommendations. I worked
with NHS managers for several years and had the opportunity to discuss
vaccination policy with many clinicians. Although I totally accept
that economic decisions are a reality in today's NHS, I believe that
virtually all GPs will advise their patients on the basis of what is
correct clinically even if the NHS will not pay (for example many
travel vaccinations are only available privately). The following
website contains articles by GPs both for the general public and other
GPs.

The advice on tetanus is broadly that if someone has been through the
full UK child immunisation programme (they receive 3 shots as a baby,
another as part of the pre-school booster and another as part of the
school-leaver vaccination) then they do not normally require any
further tetanus vaccination (unless they are travelling to some place
where medical attention will not be available). However the child
vaccination programme only began in the UK in 1961 so some older adults
may not have been fully vaccinated.

You may find these of interest

info for patients from Patient UK website
- http://www.patient.co.uk/showdoc/23068839/
info for GPs from Patient UK website
- http://www.patient.co.uk/showdoc/40024824/
detailed info for clinicians (from "Green Book") -
http://www.dh.gov.uk/assetRoot/04/11/78/31/04117831.pdf

Nick Maclaren 30-07-2006 11:07 AM

Janet Baraclough writes:

| My understanding is that tetanus does not reproduce in the intestine of
| mammals, but infects them, and produces spores as the dead body decomposes.
| That source dried up over a century back.
|
| http://www.patient.co.uk/showdoc/40000432/ also disagrees with you
|
| "Tetanus
|
| Infection with Clostridium tetani, a spore-forming Gram-positive
| obligate anaerobe. Spores are found in virtually all soil, particularly
| soil rich in manure, but also in house dust and both animal and human
| faeces. "

No, it doesn't. It says that the spores are found in those locations,
and NOT that it reproduces in those locations. Spores can't reproduce
by themselves, you know, and the vegetative (reproductive) state of
tetanus is very sensitive to adverse conditions - not just oxygen.

Because of the extreme durability and small size of the spores, ones
produced from decaying animal carcases will get into the soil, be a
component of soil dust in dry conditions, and blow into other locations.
So the fact that the spores are found everywhere does not mean that the
vegetative form can grow anywhere.

I haven't found a clear statement of its life cycle in an authoritative
reference, so my understanding may be wrong. However, your references
do nothing to contradict it.

The reason that I am uncertain is that other Clostridium species are
common gut bacteria, and it is possible that it does reproduce in the
intestine of mammals - in which case, it almost certainly does so in
ours as well as those of domestic mammals. But I have seen no more than
a hint in anything I have read that that is the case - the above hints
at that, but does not state it.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Mary Fisher 30-07-2006 11:35 AM

Tetanus every 5-10 years - Please Read - Important!

"SallyJ" wrote in message
ups.com...

The advice on tetanus is broadly that if someone has been through the
full UK child immunisation programme (they receive 3 shots as a baby,
another as part of the pre-school booster and another as part of the
school-leaver vaccination) then they do not normally require any
further tetanus vaccination (unless they are travelling to some place
where medical attention will not be available). However the child
vaccination programme only began in the UK in 1961 so some older adults
may not have been fully vaccinated.

I'm way older than that. I've had two tetanus shots (very painful) in my
life, many years ago, both as a routine after accidents. I'd refuse them
now.

I'm a gardener who gets a lot of minor damage to my skin and flesh, what's
more I have chickens in the garden, they range freely and 'fertilise' the
soil.

I also have no lymph nodes under one arm so in theory am at danger from the
slightest bite, scratch, sting, burn or other damage and if I sustain such
damage should have an antibiotic shot as a matter of urgency.

That's the latest thinking. I expect it will change.

As will the flu vaccination programme, for whatever reason. A flu jab has
never been applied to me despite my eligibility.

That doesn't mean that I refuse medical intervention for all conditions by
the way, I've had breast cancer and brain tumour surgery. It's just that
some 'preventive' interventions seem to me to be irrelevant and I'm prepared
to take whatever risk there is and meanwhile enjoy a full and active life
without worrying.

I somehow have managed to survive without spending my life at the other end
of a needle.

Mary

Nick Maclaren 30-07-2006 11:41 AM

Mary Fisher" writes:
| "Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote in message
|
| My Mum, who was a nurse, told me that it was painful because of the large
| volume of liquid injected. They probably gave it on the bum (pardon the
| expression) so that you could not see the massive syringe.

Tetanus has not had to inject a large volume since 1950 (I can't speak
for before then), and has never been amoung the nastier injections.
It has normally been given in the shoulder, and the syringe never was
massive.

Compared to TAB (Typhoid and Paratyphoid A and B), it was and less
nasty - the latter caused and causes a lot of bad reactions.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Farm1 30-07-2006 01:33 PM

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message

I also have no lymph nodes under one arm so in theory am at danger

from the
slightest bite, scratch, sting, burn or other damage and if I

sustain such
damage should have an antibiotic shot as a matter of urgency.

That's the latest thinking. I expect it will change.

I have been given a health warnings for those with no lymph nodes is
recent months and it didn't involve an outomatic jab. It was to use
antiseptic to clean any wound (even a scratch) and to then dress the
wound and to use an antiseptic cream in association with the dressing.
Rose thorns are said to be the most dangerous for the development of
cellulitis.

I too have always been careless about my own health but given the
right rollicking I got about what happens with cellulitis and how
easily and quickly it can develop from even a small scratch, I now
follow the routine. Why take the risk when the rememdy is so easy?

Vivek.M 30-07-2006 01:49 PM

On 30 Jul 2006 10:07:06 GMT, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:
No, it doesn't. It says that the spores are found in those locations,
and NOT that it reproduces in those locations. Spores can't reproduce
by themselves, you know, and the vegetative (reproductive) state of
tetanus is very sensitive to adverse conditions - not just oxygen.

Nick, C.Tetani DOES NOT require a host, dead or alive, to survive and
breed. Not only that, spores can and do change (quickly) from being
metabolically in-active to active, reproducing bacterial cells when
they encounter suitable conditions (PH, lack of O2, temperature). I
asked a friend who is doing his micro-bio plus i googled it. The
spores themselves don't reproduce, but in a O2 deficit environment
(possibly wet clay soil and wounds) the bacteria ought to thrive.

http://www.bookrags.com/sciences/gen...ia-gen-02.html
(Look for "Clostrodium")
http://www.textbookofbacteriology.net/clostridia.html
(Look for "ancient organisms")

Nick Maclaren 30-07-2006 01:55 PM

Vivek.M writes:

| Nick, C.Tetani DOES NOT require a host, dead or alive, to survive and
| breed. ...

The first reference gave no indication of the environment in which it
breeds, and the second I already referred to. You may be right, but
I remain skeptical about ALL definite statements about its life cycle.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Rod Craddock 30-07-2006 01:57 PM

Tetanus every 5-10 years - Please Read - Important!

Same advice at my docs,tetanus jab not necessary if you had the 3
jab course
:

In A & E recently after an accident at work, when I couldn't remember
how long it had been since my last booster the doc gave me a tetanus
jab 'just in case'. He told me it wouldn't matter if I had one every
day - it would just be a waste of time and money to have them
frequently. And no they aren't painful these days - I remember some
stiffness after one I had in the 1950s.
--
Rod

My real address is rodtheweedygardeneratmyweedyisp
Just remove the weedy bits
and transplant the appropriate symbol at.

Farm1 30-07-2006 01:59 PM

Janet Baraclough writes:

| My understanding is that tetanus does not reproduce in the

intestine of
| mammals, but infects them, and produces spores as the dead body

decomposes.
| That source dried up over a century back.
|
| http://www.patient.co.uk/showdoc/40000432/ also disagrees

with you

| "Tetanus
|
| Infection with Clostridium tetani, a spore-forming Gram-positive
| obligate anaerobe. Spores are found in virtually all soil,

particularly
| soil rich in manure, but also in house dust and both animal and

human
| faeces. "

No, it doesn't. It says that the spores are found in those

locations,
and NOT that it reproduces in those locations.

Since the spores are still in the UK (as they are worldwide), it is
immaterial whether the spores reproduce in the gut of mammals or not.

The most likely source of infection for gardeners would in all
likelihood be from a wound sustained whilst gardening and such a wound
could give acess to the spores. I doubt whether too many gardeners
ingest a lot of soil and so don't need to worry about the reproduction
or otherwise of tetanus spores in their gut..

Nick Maclaren 30-07-2006 02:02 PM

"David D Stretch" writes:

| On a personal note. I spent effectively 6 months in a semi-rural part
| of central China recently (with a short break in the middle when I had
| to return to the UK unexpectedly). The number of jabs I was advised to
| get before I went did not include Typhoid, and my GP's nurses, who had
| had to phone up people to get advice as to what jabs I ought to get,
| said it wasn't necessary when I asked about it. Additionally, when I
| sliced open my finger 3 days after getting back in March, the A&E
| department, as it was being stiched up, asked if I'd had Typhoid jabs,
| and when I said the last one I had had was back in 1980 after being
| bitten by a rat, they said they didn't think I needed one now. I am
| over 50, though.

Well, typhoid isn't generally an infectious agents of cuts, so they may
have got confused :-)

Apparently, the reason that the recommendation changed is that so many
more people (from the West) were dying from reaction to TAB than were
likely to be saved by it. It gives only a moderate (c. 70%) immunity,
anyway, and is a VERY nasty jab from the reaction point of view. Also,
it rarely kills people in good health who are given even moderate
medical treatment (mainly against dehydration and exhaustion). It is
only acute and persistant diarrhoea, after all.

Tetanus is rather different ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Nick Maclaren 30-07-2006 03:12 PM

"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow writes:

| Since the spores are still in the UK (as they are worldwide), it is
| immaterial whether the spores reproduce in the gut of mammals or not.

No, it is not, if you think about it. If it isn't, then the main source
of spores in the UK dried up over a century back, and the number of
viable spores in the soil will be dropping as time goes on. If it is
a normal gut commensual, then the spore level might be maintained in
soil to which animals have access.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Mary Fisher 30-07-2006 04:35 PM

Tetanus every 5-10 years - Please Read - Important!

"David D Stretch" wrote in
message news:xn0epc9tx16vrs000---

... Additionally, when I
sliced open my finger 3 days after getting back in March, the A&E
department, as it was being stiched up, asked if I'd had Typhoid jabs,
and when I said the last one I had had was back in 1980 after being
bitten by a rat, they said they didn't think I needed one now. I am
over 50, though.

Perhaps they think we oldies aren't worth bothering to save :-)

Mary

Mike 30-07-2006 04:42 PM

Tetanus every 5-10 years - Please Read - Important!

Perhaps they think we oldies aren't worth bothering to save :-)

Mary

When is 'old'?

I can think of some younger than me not worth saving :-((

Mike

www.rnshipmates.co.uk

Mary Fisher 30-07-2006 04:45 PM

"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote in message
"Mary Fisher" wrote in message

I also have no lymph nodes under one arm so in theory am at danger

from the
slightest bite, scratch, sting, burn or other damage and if I

sustain such
damage should have an antibiotic shot as a matter of urgency.

That's the latest thinking. I expect it will change.

I have been given a health warnings for those with no lymph nodes is
recent months and it didn't involve an outomatic jab.

Different health advisers have different approaches.

It was to use
antiseptic to clean any wound (even a scratch) and to then dress the
wound and to use an antiseptic cream in association with the dressing.

That was forbidden by my advisers :-)

Rose thorns are said to be the most dangerous for the development of
cellulitis.

:-)

I too have always been careless about my own health but given the
right rollicking I got about what happens with cellulitis and how
easily and quickly it can develop from even a small scratch, I now
follow the routine. Why take the risk when the rememdy is so easy?

I drive a car. I eat raw food - including raw eggs. I breathe unfiletered
air.

We all have lectures about risks. Life isn't without risks.

I want to live well and not spend my life bandaged, smelling of TCP or at
the end of a needle. I have damage to my hand and arm most days ...

Mary

Vivek.M 30-07-2006 04:45 PM

Tetanus every 5-10 years - Please Read - Important!

On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 18:44:36 +0530, Vivek.M wrote:
Here's another nice link from a online microbiology text:
http://www.bact.wisc.edu/Microtextbo...icle&artid=139
Nice book - looks interesting - has lots of basic stuff on microbes -
quite cool.

I'll quote the interesting bits with regard to C.Tetani :

"These catalytic proteins are some of the most toxic substances known
with lethal doses for a mouse being between 0.1 to 1 ng/kg of body
weight."

"Before vaccination greatly reduced the incidence of tetanus, any deep
wound was a potential breeding ground for this pathogen."

"Today, tetanus is most common in the elderly who have not kept
current with their vaccinations. Interestingly, gardening is an
activity that tends to be correlated with cases of tetanus."

"Microbes of the Clostridium genus are Gram positive and strictly
anaerobic, fermenting a wide variety of organic molecules. They are
capable of forming endospores and because of this are ubiquitous in
the environment. About one-third of soil samples contain C. tetani,
and C. botulinum is equally common. "

"Early diagnosis and treatment are important to prevent fatality in
each case. Assistance in breathing may be necessary in severe cases,
and this may be necessary for weeks or months."

"Boosters are given to adults in the form of the tetanus and
diphtheria vaccine every 10 years. "

Anyway, hopefully ppl will update their license and maybe this could
be added to the URG FAQ, as a cautionary note to newbies to gardening.
I'll mail Mr.Cormaic regarding this. Night all.

Mike 30-07-2006 05:15 PM

Tetanus every 5-10 years - Please Read - Important!

I drive a car. I eat raw food - including raw eggs. I breathe unfiletered
air.

We all have lectures about risks. Life isn't without risks.

I want to live well and not spend my life bandaged, smelling of TCP or at
the end of a needle. I have damage to my hand and arm most days ...

Mary

:-))

I did the World Cruise on Aurora between January and March, .........DIDN'T
I SACHA?.... and at one of the Ports of Call, I think if was in Fiji, THAT'S
IN THE PACIFIC SACHA ISNT IT? ...... there was a sign on the dock which said

"""Your Safety is in YOUR hands"""""

:-(( Oh if only we could return to these thoughts and responsibilities.
!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike

www.rnshipmates.co.uk

Nick Maclaren 30-07-2006 07:04 PM

Janet Baraclough writes:

| You said, above, that the UK source of soil-borne tetanus spores,
| had dried up over a century ago. That is what I (and the websites
| quoted) refute.

No, they don't. They hint that it is wrong, but don't state it.

For example, the claim that spores are found in soil rich in manure
(a) might be based on old data, a commonly repeated myth, or data
from other countries or (b) be due to ingested spores passing through
intact and being concentrated in the manure.

Also, I did not say that. I said that my understanding was that it
is the case. I am aware that it might be wrong, but so far I have
seen nothing beyond vague implications that it might be. That is all
those Web sites do.

| Look up clostridium difficile; which is gut borne and causes gut
| problems in humans (does not produce the symptoms of "lockjaw" tetanus).
| It makes far more people ill than tetanus (in the UK) and is on the
| increase.

Why do you think I said what I said? "The reason that I am uncertain is

Mary Fisher 30-07-2006 10:39 PM

Tetanus every 5-10 years - Please Read - Important!

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 16:35:26 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"David D Stretch" wrote in
message news:xn0epc9tx16vrs000---

... Additionally, when I
sliced open my finger 3 days after getting back in March, the A&E
department, as it was being stiched up, asked if I'd had Typhoid jabs,
and when I said the last one I had had was back in 1980 after being
bitten by a rat, they said they didn't think I needed one now. I am
over 50, though.

Perhaps they think we oldies aren't worth bothering to save :-)

Sadly, you are right.

Well, I was joking, that hasn't been our experience. Spouse at 67 has just
been scheduled to have major surgery because he is relatively young and very
healthy, fit and active.

Mary

Mary Fisher 30-07-2006 10:41 PM

Tetanus every 5-10 years - Please Read - Important!

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from Vivek.M contains these words:

"Boosters are given to adults in the form of the tetanus and
diphtheria vaccine every 10 years. "

No adults in the UK get, or require, booster vaccinations against
diptheria; because it died out here decades ago. In other countries, or
climates, that may not be the case. When are you going to understand,
that health or gardening advice VARIES according to local circumstances.
What is appropriate for America, may be completely inappropriate in
India , or Britain.

This is a UK group, about UK conditions.

Anyway, hopefully ppl will update their license

We don't have health licenses here.

and maybe this could
be added to the URG FAQ, as a cautionary note to newbies to gardening.
I'll mail Mr.Cormaic regarding this.

It would not be appropriate to add UK-irrelevant "advice" to the urg
FAQ, since urg's charter limits it to discussions relevant to gardening
in the UK. .

Hurrah!

Mary

Vivek.M 31-07-2006 02:24 AM

On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 18:29:58 +0100, Janet Baraclough wrote:
"Boosters are given to adults in the form of the tetanus and
diphtheria vaccine every 10 years. "

No adults in the UK get, or require, booster vaccinations against
diptheria; because it died out here decades ago. In other countries, or
climates, that may not be the case. When are you going to understand,
that health or gardening advice VARIES according to local circumstances.
What is appropriate for America, may be completely inappropriate in
India , or Britain.

Janet: "Boosters are given to adults in the form of the tetanus and
diphtheria vaccine every 10 years" I was quoteing from the web site
page, therefore i didn't edit out the diphtheria bit..What i meant was
that i'd tell Mr.Cormaic to include stuff on Tetanus. Diphtheria would
have no releavance to gardening anyway..

This is a UK group, about UK conditions.

Anyway, hopefully ppl will update their license

We don't have health licenses here.

This was a metaphor *sigh* We don't have a Tet-vac license either.

It would not be appropriate to add UK-irrelevant "advice" to the urg
FAQ, since urg's charter limits it to discussions relevant to gardening
in the UK. .

I thought the whole tetanus thing was UK relevant which is why i
posted.
Here's a bit from YOUR charter:
"Please note that this exclusion relates to subject matter, not
people, and posters from around the globe will be welcome to
participate in or initiate discussion of UK-relevant topics."

Anyway, i dislike the constant reminders and the whole thing isn't
worth it so i'll quit URG/RG completely. The tech channels are a lot
more comfortable. It would make more sense to edit your charter and
knock out the "around the globe" bit.