Old 01-08-2006, 12:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default All yards are not the same: Choosing your grass wisely

wrote in message
ups.com...
First things first. Before you can care for a lawn, you must plant one.

That is brilliant advice, why didn't I think of that?

And, there are several things to keep in mind when choosing what type
of grass seed to purchase. This is because that grass seed can grow
into very different lawns.

How true!

This difference could mean a lawn filled
with pests and weeds, or one that is low maintenance and looks great.

The best one for low maintenance is plastic!

Here are some factors that you should take in consideration while in
the seed aisle at your local home and garden store.

The only 'aisle's' I know are in the church!

First of all, you should determine what your ideal yard

What is a 'yard' other than three feet?

Do americans have different yards, just as they have different gallons?

will look like,
as grasses can vary in color, leaf width, characteristic and growth
density. Each little blade adds up! Second, you must consider how much
time and money you really are ready to spend on your lawn. The higher
the maintenance lawn, the more you will need to put into it. This is a
very important factor. Third, your specific growing conditions will
affect which seed you should choose. Things like the amount of sun,
shade, rain, soil type, humidity and moisture can affect how your lawn
grows. Finally, what will you be using your lawn for Your investment
may differ if you lawn is a play area or for show, or even for erosion
control.
Once you determine these needs, you will be armed with the information
you need to make you decision on your seed. It all grows up from there!
And, if it grows, it must be mowed -- stay tuned for secrets on THAT.
Hint: it's not what you expect.

What a brilliant, well informed article, pity it was a stupid american who
wrote it, otherwise it just might have been usefull.

Such a pity that the average american does not know what the letters 'uk' in
the newsgroup name means!

Alan

Old 01-08-2006, 02:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Alan Holmes wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
First things first. Before you can care for a lawn, you must plant one.

That is brilliant advice, why didn't I think of that?

[...]

Yes, it was a stupid bit of spam. But I do wish people wouldn't express
themselves in knee-jerk anti-American terms. I welcome our occasional
visits from American gardeners: they're often very instructive. But
then, I'm Australian, so I don't have an inferiority complex about the
larger colony.

--
Mike.

Old 01-08-2006, 02:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article .com,
"Mike Lyle" writes:

| Yes, it was a stupid bit of spam. But I do wish people wouldn't express
| themselves in knee-jerk anti-American terms. I welcome our occasional
| visits from American gardeners: they're often very instructive. But
| then, I'm Australian, so I don't have an inferiority complex about the
| larger colony.

And, of course, I am a real colonial :-)

Anyway, even at 58, I don't let grass grow on my yard ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 01-08-2006, 02:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article .com,
"Mike Lyle" writes:

| Yes, it was a stupid bit of spam. But I do wish people wouldn't express
| themselves in knee-jerk anti-American terms. I welcome our occasional
| visits from American gardeners: they're often very instructive. But
| then, I'm Australian, so I don't have an inferiority complex about the
| larger colony.

And, of course, I am a real colonial :-)

Gad, Carruthers! A white man can't work in this heat! Must get meself
some more altitude, alcohol, and adultery.

Anyway, even at 58, I don't let grass grow on my yard ....

As an English-usage freak, I'm all for that zero-tolerance approach;
but in fact our "back yard" in Oz _did_ have grass, among other things.

--
Mike.

Old 01-08-2006, 02:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Alan Holmes" wrote

What is a 'yard' other than three feet?

Do americans have different yards, just as they have different gallons?

It was the UK that changed the size of a gallon to make it weigh 10 lbs, the
Americans still use the original British gallon.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 01-08-2006, 07:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
oups.com...

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article .com,
"Mike Lyle" writes:

| Yes, it was a stupid bit of spam. But I do wish people wouldn't
express
| themselves in knee-jerk anti-American terms. I welcome our occasional
| visits from American gardeners: they're often very instructive. But
| then, I'm Australian, so I don't have an inferiority complex about the
| larger colony.

And, of course, I am a real colonial :-)

Gad, Carruthers! A white man can't work in this heat! Must get meself
some more altitude, alcohol, and adultery.

Anyway, even at 58, I don't let grass grow on my yard ....

As an English-usage freak, I'm all for that zero-tolerance approach;
but in fact our "back yard" in Oz _did_ have grass, among other things.

Back yards in england are usually concreted over, so growing grass could be
a bit of a problem!

Alan

--
Mike.

Old 01-08-2006, 07:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Alan Holmes" wrote

What is a 'yard' other than three feet?

Do americans have different yards, just as they have different gallons?

It was the UK that changed the size of a gallon to make it weigh 10 lbs,
the Americans still use the original British gallon.

Interesting, but I've never heard that one.

Alan

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 02-08-2006, 06:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

jane writes

Neither had I, but it calculates right, though.
UK
16oz=1lb
20 floz = 1pint
8 pints = 160 fl oz = 10lb

"A pint of pure water
Weighs a pound and a quarter"

US
16oz=1lb
16 floz = 1 pint

Hate to say it, but the US values are more consistent.
(Here I went off googling)

Metric is better
I litre = 1 kg = 1000 cc
1 tonne = 1000kg = 1 metre cubed

Just a pity the measurements aren't the right size for anything you want
to measure in every day life.

--
Kay