Old 04-08-2006, 04:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Accidental potatoes

I have discovered I have four potato plants in my rather small garden
that have grown from potatoes in the compost - we only have two small
beds and put almost a whole dalek full of compost on the two earlier
in the year, clearly some of it wasn't rotted.

I have done nothing with them, but am wondering a) is there any point
in doing anything b) if so, what (I seem to have a vague idea about
shoring them up or something like that!) and c) if I am likely to get
any potatoes from them and if so, how will I know they are ready?

Thanks from a novice gardener with many daft questions

Katie
Old 04-08-2006, 05:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Katie wrote:
I have discovered I have four potato plants in my rather small garden
that have grown from potatoes in the compost - we only have two small
beds and put almost a whole dalek full of compost on the two earlier
in the year, clearly some of it wasn't rotted.

I have done nothing with them, but am wondering a) is there any point
in doing anything b) if so, what (I seem to have a vague idea about
shoring them up or something like that!) and c) if I am likely to get
any potatoes from them and if so, how will I know they are ready?

Thanks from a novice gardener with many daft questions

Katie

Potatoes are, I find an awful weed, that is a plant in the wrong place.
It does not matter how careful I am there are always several tubers left
when I dig potatoes, and these grow up where I do not want them. The
other nuisance are Gladioli, they are springing up all over the bed
where I grew them last year. Leave the potatoes then dig them up and
you may get a nice meal or two.
Old 04-08-2006, 05:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Katie" wrote ...
I have discovered I have four potato plants in my rather small garden
that have grown from potatoes in the compost - we only have two small
beds and put almost a whole dalek full of compost on the two earlier
in the year, clearly some of it wasn't rotted.

I have done nothing with them, but am wondering a) is there any point
in doing anything b) if so, what (I seem to have a vague idea about
shoring them up or something like that!) and c) if I am likely to get
any potatoes from them and if so, how will I know they are ready?

Thanks from a novice gardener with many daft questions

You just never know with spuds until it's time to harvest them**, if it's
growing healthily and it isn't in the way let it be and dig it up when the
leaves have died and see what you have underneath. They should have been
banked up a couple of months ago but then some never bother banking their
spuds and get a good crop, so good luck.
In the days of poverty allotment gardening many gardeners used to cut their
seed potatoes into bits, with a sprout on each, and plant them.

** some say the thickness of the hulms (stems) as they come out of the
ground is a clue but as you have nothing to compare it with it's not much
use. :-)

Incidentally, we have now got up our Second Early potato "Kestral" crop and
it's very good despite the desert conditions, can't believe it. Slug AND
drought resistance in one spud, no wonder it's popular.
--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 04-08-2006, 07:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Katie writes
I have discovered I have four potato plants in my rather small garden
that have grown from potatoes in the compost - we only have two small
beds and put almost a whole dalek full of compost on the two earlier
in the year, clearly some of it wasn't rotted.

I have done nothing with them, but am wondering a) is there any point
in doing anything b) if so, what (I seem to have a vague idea about
shoring them up or something like that!)

You need to keep any tubers covered with earth else they go green and
poisonous and, in theory, earthing up encourages more tubers. As long as
you put some earth on any that show through the surface, you'll be OK
even if you don't earth up.

and c) if I am likely to get
any potatoes from them and if so, how will I know they are ready?

Feel around with your fingers and see if they're large enough. If you
wait till the foliage dies down they should be ready, but sometimes
they're ready before that. Don't expect much more than a meal form each
plant, but they generally taste wonderful, so it's a special meal.

--
Kay
Old 04-08-2006, 07:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
sam sam is offline

K wrote:
Katie writes

Feel around with your fingers and see if they're large enough. If you
wait till the foliage dies down they should be ready, but sometimes
they're ready before that. Don't expect much more than a meal form each
plant, but they generally taste wonderful, so it's a special meal.

So there you are, Katie.
Now, next daft question, please.

Old 04-08-2006, 10:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

sam wrote:
[...]
So there you are, Katie.
Now, next daft question, please.

It was a perfectly reasonable question. There's no reason why a new
gardener should know these things. Keep asking, Katie: you'll be giving
answers soon enough.

--
Mike.

Old 04-08-2006, 11:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"sam" wrote

So there you are, Katie.
Now, next daft question, please.

Not seen you here before Sam, perhaps you would like to introduce yourself.

Katie, it was not a daft question for a learner, some of us realise not all
had the opportunity or inclination to learn gardening as a child from an
experienced gardener and grow up growing things.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 05-08-2006, 08:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 4 Aug 2006, Bob Hobden wrote:

In the days of poverty allotment gardening many gardeners used to cut their
seed potatoes into bits, with a sprout on each, and plant them.

Some still do! ;-)

David

--
David Rance http://www.mesnil.demon.co.uk
Fido Address: 2:252/110 writing from Le Mesnil Villement, Calvados, France
Old 05-08-2006, 09:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Katie wrote:
I have discovered I have four potato plants in my rather small garden
that have grown from potatoes in the compost - we only have two small
beds and put almost a whole dalek full of compost on the two earlier
in the year, clearly some of it wasn't rotted.

I have done nothing with them, but am wondering a) is there any point
in doing anything b) if so, what (I seem to have a vague idea about
shoring them up or something like that!) and c) if I am likely to get
any potatoes from them and if so, how will I know they are ready?

Thanks from a novice gardener with many daft questions

Katie

I always find the accidental ones give the biggest crops... compared to
the ones I care for lovingly, loads of compost in the trench, earthing
up, watering etc. etc.

Old 05-08-2006, 10:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mikey" wrote in message
I always find the accidental ones give the biggest crops... compared to
the ones I care for lovingly, loads of compost in the trench, earthing up,
watering etc. etc.

I seem to recall that these "accidentals" are often referred to as
volunteers.

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 05-08-2006, 03:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sue wrote:
"Peter Stockdale" wrote
"Mikey" wrote
I always find the accidental ones give the biggest crops... compared
to the ones I care for lovingly, loads of compost in the trench,
earthing up, watering etc. etc.

I seem to recall that these "accidentals" are often referred to as
volunteers.

Or self-sets.

Never mind cutting seed potatoes to save money, my Mother said that her
father used to plants the potatoes peelings and get a crop. How good of
course I don't know, but back then I guess being poor was exactly that,
not the current idea at all.
Old 05-08-2006, 03:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 5 Aug 2006, Sue wrote:

I always find the accidental ones give the biggest crops... compared
to the ones I care for lovingly, loads of compost in the trench,
earthing up, watering etc. etc.

I seem to recall that these "accidentals" are often referred to as
volunteers.

Or self-sets.

Or freebies!

David (in Normandy!)

Old 05-08-2006, 04:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I seem to recall that these "accidentals" are often referred to as
volunteers.

Regards
Pete

Volunteers are always more keen than conscripts!
David.