Old 06-08-2006, 11:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Tomato glut?

It's about the time everyone gets a glut of tomatoes, ours are all ripening
now on the allotment. Passata is used for most Italian dishes (and others)
and freezes well in bags so ...

http://www.seedsofitaly.com/catalogue/18

The top item sounds just the job, anyone got one?

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 06-08-2006, 10:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Baraclough" wrote after from "Bob Hobden" wrote
It's about the time everyone gets a glut of tomatoes, ours are all
ripening
now on the allotment. Passata is used for most Italian dishes (and
others)
and freezes well in bags so ...

http://www.seedsofitaly.com/catalogue/18

The top item sounds just the job, anyone got one?

Not that model, but I used something very similar to puree baby food,
Moulinex brand.
I think Lakeland still sells something like it . They have a very
helpful phone service.

But this one sorts out the skin and seeds from the pulp too.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 06-08-2006, 10:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 6/8/06 22:30, in article , "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"Janet Baraclough" wrote after from "Bob Hobden" wrote
It's about the time everyone gets a glut of tomatoes, ours are all
ripening
now on the allotment. Passata is used for most Italian dishes (and
others)
and freezes well in bags so ...

http://www.seedsofitaly.com/catalogue/18

The top item sounds just the job, anyone got one?

Not that model, but I used something very similar to puree baby food,
Moulinex brand.
I think Lakeland still sells something like it . They have a very
helpful phone service.

But this one sorts out the skin and seeds from the pulp too.

For years I had one of the cheese grater thingies but it was made of
stainless steel. I found it invaluable for use at the table as well as in
cooking. If you like making Italian dishes, I would recommend one of those,
too.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 07-08-2006, 07:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
It's about the time everyone gets a glut of tomatoes, ours are all

ripening
now on the allotment. Passata is used for most Italian dishes (and

others)
and freezes well in bags so ...

http://www.seedsofitaly.com/catalogue/18

The top item sounds just the job, anyone got one?

Yes I do. Don't know if it that exact model (mine is ancient and all
metal) but mine spits the pips and the skins out one side and the
pulp out the other as described for the model you are considering. It
works extremely well and the only device I've foudn that does work so
well for the job - everything is too much faffing about. However,
unless you have the fat meaty "paste" style tomatoes it does need for
you to do some simmering to get a thick rich tomato paste. but it's
great if you don't have the "paste" tomatoes for juice or soup type
freezer packs.

I lent it to friend last year for their great tomato glut but they
complained that it was more like juice than paste. Since I know they
are good cooks but not into Italian food then I didn't even bother to
explain to then the error of their ways.

Old 07-08-2006, 10:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Farm1" wrote in reply to
"Bob Hobden" who asked
[...]

Thank you, yes we have the meaty tomatoes, but now I see that "Seeds of
Italy" have gone on annual leave for a few weeks so I can't order one
anyway. Sod's law! :-(

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Strawberry glut David Hare-Scott Edible Gardening 20 28-02-2011 04:51 PM
glut of hazelnuts Argo Edible Gardening 7 14-01-2006 02:11 AM
Glut.Max. Pink United Kingdom 1 05-08-2004 12:22 PM
Glut.Max. Pink United Kingdom 0 04-08-2004 11:07 PM
Pending Glut of Tomatoes... JennyC United Kingdom 19 14-08-2003 12:42 AM