Old 08-08-2006, 04:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Christmas potatoes

I've just received a package of potatoes to plant now and harvest for
Christmas. However, the instructions that came with them are all about
planting your potatoes in March. I presume I just chit these potatoes in the
usual way and then plant them as I did my earlies, earthing them up and
protecting the foliage with fleece come winter? They'll be in tubs in a
fairly sheltered spot by the back door.

Old 10-08-2006, 11:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Linz
writes
I've just received a package of potatoes to plant now and harvest for
Christmas. However, the instructions that came with them are all about
planting your potatoes in March. I presume I just chit these potatoes in the
usual way and then plant them as I did my earlies, earthing them up and
protecting the foliage with fleece come winter? They'll be in tubs in a
fairly sheltered spot by the back door.

Are they actual second crop potatoes Linz? We were advised at out last
Gardening club meeting to use the second crop (not second early) to get
a Christmas crop as they have to be a certain 2age2 before planting or
they won't make as crop in time.

I have been looking for them for a couple of weeks now and can't seem to
find anyone that sells them.

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Amersham Gardening Association
Old 10-08-2006, 01:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Janet Tweedy wrote:
In article , Linz
writes
I've just received a package of potatoes to plant now and harvest for
Christmas. However, the instructions that came with them are all
about planting your potatoes in March. I presume I just chit these
potatoes in the usual way and then plant them as I did my earlies,
earthing them up and protecting the foliage with fleece come winter?
They'll be in tubs in a fairly sheltered spot by the back door.

Are they actual second crop potatoes Linz? We were advised at out
last Gardening club meeting to use the second crop (not second early)
to get a Christmas crop as they have to be a certain 2age2 before
planting or they won't make as crop in time.

Crikey, I'm not sure. I'd have to remember to look on the label. Or go to
Dobies.co.uk - hang on. Yes, I seem to remember them being Carlingford,
which are second crop.

I have been looking for them for a couple of weeks now and can't seem
to find anyone that sells them.

Try Dobies! Four different varieties of potatoes for planting now.

Old 12-08-2006, 04:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Linz" wrote in message
Janet Tweedy wrote:
In article , Linz
writes
[...]

But don't they come in 5 kg packs?

Alan

Old 14-08-2006, 09:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Alan Holmes wrote:
"Linz" wrote in message

Try Dobies! Four different varieties of potatoes for planting now.

But don't they come in 5 kg packs?

According to the website, 2kg packs. I got just over 20 tubers which are now
on the windowsill chitting.