Old 24-09-2008, 08:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Potatoes for christmas question

Hi All, I have some potatoes in the special potato buckets and have gone out
this morning to find some of the helms broken off. Will the potatoes on
this plant still grow or will the produce be affected. There are two sets
of leaves at the base of the plants left on.

Thank you
Donna

Old 24-09-2008, 01:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Donna UK" contains these words:

Hi All, I have some potatoes in the special potato buckets and have
gone out
this morning to find some of the helms broken off. Will the potatoes on
this plant still grow or will the produce be affected. There are two sets
of leaves at the base of the plants left on.

After the haulm has been removed the skins of the potatoes will harden,
which, if the tubers are left in the soil for a fortnight or three
weeks, helps them to keep.

If the others are still growing, the skins won't harden so rapidly -
until the haulm dies.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 03-10-2008, 08:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Something is eating all the leaves slowly but surely off one of my potatoes
and am hoping that I actually get a crop off it. Its looking rather bare on
one side

Christmas potatoes soup[_3_] United Kingdom 2 08-06-2009 07:30 AM
Christmas potatoes wafflycat United Kingdom 1 20-05-2009 08:24 AM
Christmas potatoes Janet Tweedy United Kingdom 1 27-08-2008 01:23 PM
Christmas potatoes Linz United Kingdom 4 14-08-2006 09:01 AM
Christmas New Potatoes? John United Kingdom 3 11-04-2006 10:47 AM