Old 08-08-2006, 05:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Sorbus Embley leaf shape?

We bought a sorbus embley in the spring. It has hard, very narrow leaves
with are folded down the middle and open less than a right angle. Yesterday
we saw a sorbus embley in another garden centre and it had relatively wide
floppy soft leaves - full open. We are wondering if the one we bought was
the incorrect species or maybe it is not thriving.

Anyone have this tree and can tell me what the leaves look like?

thanks , Davy

Old 10-08-2006, 08:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Davy" wrote:

We bought a sorbus embley in the spring. It has hard, very narrow

leaves
with are folded down the middle and open less than a right angle.

Yesterday
we saw a sorbus embley in another garden centre and it had relatively

wide
floppy soft leaves - full open. We are wondering if the one we bought

was
the incorrect species or maybe it is not thriving.

Anyone have this tree and can tell me what the leaves look like?

"Sacha" wrote It's Sorbus commixta Embley. Perhaps there's a difference

between the
leaves of the species and those of the variety. Equally, plants can be
mislabelled by accident so the best thing to do is take a leaf from your
back to where you bought it from and ask them.

Sacha,
unfortunately bought mail order so cannot take a leaf back. From your first
line I believe you are saying that Sorbus Embley does indeed have hard
narrow folded leaves just as ours does?
cheers, Davy

Old 10-08-2006, 12:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/8/06 08:16, in article , "Davy"
wrote:

"Davy" wrote:

[...]

No, I don't know that one myself and doing an image search on Google sends
up precisely two unhelpful (from your pov) pics. What I meant was there
might be a difference between the species and the variety. However, I found
a description of it on Crocus and it doesn't really sound like what you
describe at all:
"Long, tapered glossy green leaves, made up of 13 to 17 leaflets, appear in
spring followed by small white flowers in late spring. In autumn, the tree
is covered in clusters of bright red fruit and the crown is ablaze of
scarlet foliage, deepening to ruby red. This is a slender branching, conical
tree which is ideal for a small garden or woodland area."
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk