Old 11-08-2006, 10:39 PM posted to uk.gay-lesbian-bi,uk.rec.gardening,uk.local.southwest

Default Broccoli

Got the taste for this vegetable lately, but is the name Broccoli just
a cockney word for cabbage?

Old 12-08-2006, 07:42 AM posted to uk.gay-lesbian-bi,uk.rec.gardening,uk.local.southwest

wrote:
Got the taste for this vegetable lately, but is the name Broccoli just
a cockney word for cabbage?

"Does it *REALLY* taste of Strawberry Milkshake?"

Oh BTW, NP - TYA I'm coming home...

Old 12-08-2006, 07:43 AM posted to uk.gay-lesbian-bi,uk.rec.gardening,uk.local.southwest

wrote in message
ups.com...
Got the taste for this vegetable lately, but is the name Broccoli just
a cockney word for cabbage?

We like it too, and we grow it on the allotment. I don't know the origin of
the name, it doesn't seem all that cockney to me, but it is one of the
brassicas, like cabbage, cauliflower, kohl rabi etc.

Steve

Old 12-08-2006, 11:44 AM posted to uk.gay-lesbian-bi,uk.rec.gardening,uk.local.southwest

Paul wrote
Got the taste for this vegetable lately, but is the name Broccoli just
a cockney word for cabbage?

Sounds more Italian to me.

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 12-08-2006, 01:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12/8/06 11:44, in article , "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

Paul wrote
Got the taste for this vegetable lately, but is the name Broccoli just
a cockney word for cabbage?

Sounds more Italian to me.

As in Cubby? ;-) The green stuff is calabrese in Italian, the purple
stuff is broccoli.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 12-08-2006, 06:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
K writes:

| As in Cubby? ;-) The green stuff is calabrese in Italian, the purple
| stuff is broccoli.
|
| So is it italian for 'purple sprouting'? ;-)

And there I have just posted an explanation!

Regards,
Signor Broccolo, il Calabrese (from Calabria).
Old 13-08-2006, 10:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Sacha writes:

| Calabrese is what they call the green stuff in the farm shops in west
| Cornwall, but the supermarkets down here still call it broccoli.
|
| Here and elsewhere, IME, it's either broccoli or purple sprouting broccoli.
| It's quite unusual - again, IME - to see it called calabrese in England and
| then it's always pronounced callabreeze as opposed to callabrayzay.
| Probably doesn't make much difference to the flavour, however!

Well, since broccoli has been established in English for 300 years and
calabrese for 75, that is not surprising. Here, calabrese is usually
used for the fat, watery 'summer' variety that goes yellow and tastes
nasty after few days. Broccoli is used for the traditional, dark
green 'winter' varieties, whether in flower bud (purple or white) or
just a shoot of young leaves.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Broccoli Luke Australia 2 05-04-2003 06:33 AM
Harvesting broccoli seeds. Gregory Toomey Australia 1 05-04-2003 06:32 AM
Broccoli and romaine lettuce: good container plants??? Mick709 Gardening 1 24-03-2003 12:20 PM
purple sprouting broccoli A.Malhotra United Kingdom 3 16-03-2003 05:56 PM
Broccoli flowers Chris Edible Gardening 1 16-02-2003 02:51 AM