Old 13-08-2006, 11:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Possible Clematis ID

Not certain this IS a Clematis but.....growing up the garden-facing front at
Knightshayes was a very well-established climber with pinkish stems when
mature and small more-grey-than-green, 3 lobed leaves. The centre lobe is
longer than the others and each lobe is slightly indented itself two or
three times. The whole leaf is small, no more than about 3/4 inch in
length. No flower description I'm afraid.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 13-08-2006, 12:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
Not certain this IS a Clematis but.....growing up the garden-facing front

at
Knightshayes was a very well-established climber with pinkish stems when
mature and small more-grey-than-green, 3 lobed leaves. The centre lobe is
longer than the others and each lobe is slightly indented itself two or
three times. The whole leaf is small, no more than about 3/4 inch in
length. No flower description I'm afraid.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
http://www.discoverdartmoor.co.uk/

Not a lot to go on! How was it climbing? I am racking my brains for
suggestions that Ray (who I assume was with you) will not have recognised.
When you say 3 lobed do you mean that, or 3 leaflets?
Doesn't sound very clematis like, but could be one of the New Zealand sorts.
What about one of the Ampelopsis or Kennedia's

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 14-08-2006, 08:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13/8/06 12:13, in article ,
"Charlie Pridham" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
Not certain this IS a Clematis but.....growing up the garden-facing front

at
Knightshayes was a very well-established climber with pinkish stems when
mature and small more-grey-than-green, 3 lobed leaves. The centre lobe is
longer than the others and each lobe is slightly indented itself two or
three times. The whole leaf is small, no more than about 3/4 inch in
length. No flower description I'm afraid.
--

Not a lot to go on! How was it climbing? I am racking my brains for
suggestions that Ray (who I assume was with you) will not have recognised.
When you say 3 lobed do you mean that, or 3 leaflets?
Doesn't sound very clematis like, but could be one of the New Zealand sorts.
What about one of the Ampelopsis or Kennedia's

No, it's neither of those and yes, Ray was with me. I would certainly call
it lobed and I think I'm correct. The leaf was, as I say, a very grey green
and quite small an the stems distinctly pinkish. It was scrambling up and
through a Rosa banksia and judging by its trunk had been there some time. I
suppose I'd best describe its climbing habit by thinking of C. rehderiana.
I think that in the end, I'll have to resort to ringing Knightshayes and
seeing if someone there can find a gardener to talk to me! At which point
you'll go "Oh *that*! Had that for years - what a lousy description." ;-)
BTW, PH is coming here on Wednesday - any messages?!

Old 14-08-2006, 10:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 13/8/06 12:13, in article ,
"Charlie Pridham" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
[...]

;-)
BTW, PH is coming here on Wednesday - any messages?!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
http://www.discoverdartmoor.co.uk/

Just a hello from us both (we had a bit of a chat at Tavistock in July)
Look forward to hearing what this plant is.