Old 14-08-2006, 06:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Flavour of Alexander Seeds

The blackberry-picking season is here again. The hedgerows around here
in west Cornwall are also full of the black seed heads of Alexanders
(Smyrnium olusatrum). Inevitably it seems, while picking blackberries,
a few Alexander seeds fall into the bag. As we don't sort our
blackberries before freezing them, that means on occasion you chew an
Alexander seed. They have a strong, rather 'herby' flavour, broadly
similar to sage or rosemary. As I'm still here, presumably the
occasional Alexander seed isn't lethal, but do they have any culinary
use, for example were they ever used to flavour meat in days of yore?

--
Chris

Old 15-08-2006, 12:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Chris Hogg" wrote
The blackberry-picking season is here again. The hedgerows around here
in west Cornwall are also full of the black seed heads of Alexanders
(Smyrnium olusatrum). Inevitably it seems, while picking blackberries,
a few Alexander seeds fall into the bag. As we don't sort our
blackberries before freezing them, that means on occasion you chew an
Alexander seed. They have a strong, rather 'herby' flavour, broadly
similar to sage or rosemary. As I'm still here, presumably the
occasional Alexander seed isn't lethal, but do they have any culinary
use, for example were they ever used to flavour meat in days of yore?

Info about Alexanders usually refers to the Romans bringing it to
Britain as a pot herb e.g. Richard Mabey in 'Food For Free'.
This article http://www.pfaf.org/database/plants....nium+olusatrum
also mentions the seeds being crushed and used like pepper, so it looks
like you'll probably survive.

--
Sue

Old 15-08-2006, 06:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 00:52:19 +0100, "Sue"
wrote:

"Chris Hogg" wrote
[...]

Thanks Sue. Interesting information.

--