Old 28-03-2004, 01:49 PM
Howard

Default Flavour and tomatoes

Ha, just the group I need.

I would like to get hold of some tomato seeds that will produce
deliciously flavoured tomatoes.

I know that these seeds exist but are not sold at regular suppliers
because of registration fees and such like.

But I have no clue about where to start looking.

TIA
--
Howard
R100RT
Old 28-03-2004, 02:04 PM
pronoun

Hi,

I tried the RHS below--found what I wanted with Medwins, also below
(llanor).

http://www.llanor.fsnet.co.uk/

http://www.rhs.org.uk/research/agm.asp

news

Old 28-03-2004, 04:03 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Howard wrote:
Ha, just the group I need.

I would like to get hold of some tomato seeds that will produce
deliciously flavoured tomatoes.

I know that these seeds exist but are not sold at regular suppliers
because of registration fees and such like.

But I have no clue about where to start looking.

There are a fair number of flavoursome varieties sold by normal seed
merchants - do a Web search for Tucker's, Thompson and Morgan, and
look out for Unwins and so on. You can get the unusual varieties
from Henry Doubleday, but you have to join the association (not a
major problem!)

However, only about a third of the flavour is due to the variety.
Another third is not watering as much as commercial growers do,
and the last third is maximising the amount of sunlight. Not a
lot that you can do about the last in the UK :-(

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 28-03-2004, 05:36 PM
Mary Fisher

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

There are a fair number of flavoursome varieties sold by normal seed
merchants - do a Web search for Tucker's, Thompson and Morgan, and
look out for Unwins and so on. You can get the unusual varieties
from Henry Doubleday, but you have to join the association (not a
major problem!)

I ordered seven varieties noted for flavour from Chase (HDRA), they arrived
some time later than my visa was debited and I sowed them the same day in
exactly the same way as I always do, in the greenhouse.

That was two weeks ago. The lettuce, cabbage and sprouts have germinated but
not the tomatoes. I'm even more disgruntled now, the seeds were expensive
and there weren't many.

Grrrrrrrrr

Mary

Old 28-03-2004, 05:46 PM
shazzbat

"Howard" wrote in message
news
Ha, just the group I need.

I would like to get hold of some tomato seeds that will produce
deliciously flavoured tomatoes.

I know that these seeds exist but are not sold at regular suppliers
because of registration fees and such like.

But I have no clue about where to start looking.

TIA
--
Howard
R100RT
Formerly James Captain, A10, C15, B25, Dnepr M16 solo, R80/7, R100RT
(green!)

You had a James Captain? My first bike was a James Commando (in 1968,
although it was far from new) Much later I used to enjoy confusing people by
telling them my first bike was a commando :-))
Steve

Old 28-03-2004, 06:20 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Howard contains these words:

Ha, just the group I need.

I would like to get hold of some tomato seeds that will produce
deliciously flavoured tomatoes.

I know that these seeds exist but are not sold at regular suppliers
because of registration fees and such like.

But I have no clue about where to start looking.

Ailsa Craig, Shirley, Alicante.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 28-03-2004, 07:11 PM
Sue da Nimm

"shazzbat" wrote in message
Howard
R100RT
Formerly James Captain, A10, C15, B25, Dnepr M16 solo, R80/7, R100RT
(green!)

You had a James Captain? My first bike was a James Commando (in 1968,
although it was far from new) Much later I used to enjoy confusing people

by
telling them my first bike was a commando :-))
Steve

I had a James Commodore, then a Triumph Cub, then a pre-unit Bonnie ... and
then a husband who didn't approve

Old 28-03-2004, 07:42 PM
Howard

Sue da Nimm wrote:

"shazzbat" wrote in message

Howard
R100RT
Formerly James Captain, A10, C15, B25, Dnepr M16 solo, R80/7, R100RT
(green!)

You had a James Captain?

and then a husband who didn't approve

shame! However Beloved will not happily join me on the bike, we had a
car do a U-turn in front of us. Kids were nearly orphaned then and there!
Old 28-03-2004, 07:44 PM
Howard

David Hyams wrote:

Cheery tomatoes are always the best for flavour although not big enough for
sandwiches.

Cherry tomatoes, on the other hand, are great in quick pastas.

Old 28-03-2004, 08:10 PM
Larry Stoter

Howard wrote:

Ha, just the group I need.

I would like to get hold of some tomato seeds that will produce
deliciously flavoured tomatoes.

I know that these seeds exist but are not sold at regular suppliers
because of registration fees and such like.

But I have no clue about where to start looking.

TIA

Last summer we tried Cherokee Purple, from the HDRA seed library (no
problems with delivery or germination). A sort of marmande-type but not
quite so big. Superb flavour although at first we thought they were
rotting - when ripe they tend to develop quite a strong purple tinge
which looks a little as though they have been caught by a frost and are
starting to rot. Survived last summer with minimal watering.

Personally, I've never found any tomatoes in UK shops which have any
decent taste and only eat those we grow ourselves. Commercially produced
tomatoes really are tasteless and watery.
--
Larry Stoter