Old 20-08-2006, 10:33 PM
Registered User

Location: Buckinghamshire
Default Search for Chitoseyama

Does anyone know of a good nursery for Japanese maples within about 20 miles of Amersham, Bucks? I am looking for the cultivar Chitoseyama, and I don't want to order it by mail order as I want to be able to choose one with a good shape, with a view to possibly growing it as a bonsai. In any case it will be planted in a pot, whether big or small.
Thanks
Deborah
Old 21-08-2006, 09:23 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by tresco
Does anyone know of a good nursery for Japanese maples within about 20 miles of Amersham, Bucks? I am looking for the cultivar Chitoseyama, and I don't want to order it by mail order as I want to be able to choose one with a good shape, with a view to possibly growing it as a bonsai. In any case it will be planted in a pot, whether big or small.
Thanks
Deborah
They advertise it at the Wisley RHS garden centre attached to Wisley RHS gardens - they have a large range of Japanese maples there. On the A3 about 2 miles from the M25, well signed. A bit more than 20 miles, but when the M25 is running freely, it only takes about 35 mins from Amersham. I advise getting there early in the morning.

One of the big nurseries on the A40 in Denham - I forget its name but it is the one next door to and on the further side of Tendercare (if you are coming from Amersham via the Chalfonts, then go past them and do a U-turn at the A40/M40 multi-roundabout - then heading back on yourself in a few hundred yards turn left into a little side road, and the one I am talking about is immediately on the left, with Tendercare on the other side of the road) does quite a few Jap maples, though in general nothing special and I can't say they have the specific one you are looking for. They are often (but not always) cheaper than garden centres, so they are worth a look-in if you are passing.

I hope you are in a part of Amersham that isn't on the chalk, or it won't grow very well.

Q: Rose Name Search - 'Rosa' Queen....? Glenee \(Googles\) Australia 2 12-05-2003 03:20 PM
SBB: Search for Latin (botanical) Names for certain roses New Junk Plant Science 1 26-04-2003 01:31 PM
RG: Search for Latin (botanical) Names for certain roses New Junk Gardening 13 27-03-2003 02:56 AM
[IBC] bonsai search Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 13-02-2003 04:55 PM
How to search archives? paghat Gardening 2 25-01-2003 08:31 PM