Old 22-08-2006, 08:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,england.rec.gardening

Default JCB JCB-PHT24F Hedge Trimmer

Help please. I have a JCB-PHT24F 2 stroke hedge trimmer bought from Focus
DIY 4 months ago. Two stroke engine. It has been pretty much OK until today
when it cut out. It sounds like its going to start up again i.e. it turns
over, but doesn't start.

I've checked all the obvious things like fuel, cleaned it out, made sure all
the pipes are flowing OK. The cables are OK and working. Checked the spark
plug (not taken it out) and it looks good and clean.

Any thoughts please? The JCB manual isn't brilliant, but I really can't
think of anything else to check. Maybe there is some way to alter the
mixture, but I really can't see why it should suddenly stop unless the
mixture has got itself altered without me realising.

Thanks

Rodger
Old 22-08-2006, 11:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,england.rec.gardening

"Rodger" wrote
Help please. I have a JCB-PHT24F 2 stroke hedge trimmer bought from Focus
DIY 4 months ago. Two stroke engine. It has been pretty much OK until
today
when it cut out. It sounds like its going to start up again i.e. it turns
over, but doesn't start.

I've checked all the obvious things like fuel, cleaned it out, made sure
all
the pipes are flowing OK. The cables are OK and working. Checked the spark
plug (not taken it out) and it looks good and clean.

Any thoughts please? The JCB manual isn't brilliant, but I really can't
think of anything else to check. Maybe there is some way to alter the
mixture, but I really can't see why it should suddenly stop unless the
mixture has got itself altered without me realising.

Check all the electrical connections again, are they fully pushed together?
Had similar on my Husqvarna strimmer and it was simply a connection that had
half pulled itself apart.
Failing that has the Dead Mans Handle got a fault?

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 23-08-2006, 08:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,england.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Rodger" wrote
[...]

You seem to have checked the things that could cause embarrassment, like not
switching it on. One last check though, when you had the plug out, did you
check for sparks? If you haven't done it before, this is what you do.

Take the plug out, push the plug lead on to the end of it, hold the threaded
part of the plug against a metal part of the engine, whatever it will reach.
Make sure the switch is turned to run, and get your beautiful sequinned
assistant to pull the start cord. Without the compression the engine will
turn over several times and you should see some sparks at the plug.

( Goes back, reads OP again) Ah, it cut out in use, rather than won't start
this morning? 4 months old you say? It's under warranty, take it back.

Steve

Old 23-08-2006, 05:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,england.rec.gardening

You seem to have checked the things that could cause embarrassment, like not

switching it on. One last check though, when you had the plug out, did you
check for sparks? If you haven't done it before, this is what you do.

Take the plug out, push the plug lead on to the end of it, hold the threaded

part of the plug against a metal part of the engine, whatever it will reach.

Make sure the switch is turned to run, and get your beautiful sequinned
assistant to pull the start cord. Without the compression the engine will
turn over several times and you should see some sparks at the plug.

( Goes back, reads OP again) Ah, it cut out in use, rather than won't start
this morning? 4 months old you say? It's under warranty, take it back.

Steve

OK thanks to all of you for your replies. The beast goes back to Focus
tomorrow, but they don't have any replacements. Well I've had a summer's use
out of it, so..

So now its "which to buy", I live in East Yorkshire. Had a look at the Argos
site, and they have two McCulloch, the only difference between

http://tinyurl.com/hchfm and http://tinyurl.com/hp9o8 is 12cm of
blade length and £30 ! Whilst I;d like the extra length (Ooeeerr
missus!!).... as I have a bit of reaching to do. I suppose this make is as
good as any in the price bracket? The B&Q website is as useless as ever as
it doesn't show all their products so I will go in there after I've
retrieved my loot from Focus.

Anywhere else I should look without incurring delivery costs?

Thanks for you help

Rodger
Old 23-08-2006, 06:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,england.rec.gardening

"Rodger" wrote
OK thanks to all of you for your replies. The beast goes back to Focus
tomorrow, but they don't have any replacements. Well I've had a summer's
use
out of it, so..

So now its "which to buy", I live in East Yorkshire. Had a look at the
Argos
site, and they have two McCulloch, the only difference between

http://tinyurl.com/hchfm and http://tinyurl.com/hp9o8 is 12cm of
blade length and £30 ! Whilst I;d like the extra length (Ooeeerr
missus!!).... as I have a bit of reaching to do. I suppose this make is as
good as any in the price bracket? The B&Q website is as useless as ever as
it doesn't show all their products so I will go in there after I've
retrieved my loot from Focus.

Anywhere else I should look without incurring delivery costs?

Of the two the longer, more expensive one, is also lighter so no doubt the
better designed machine. Try your local garden machinery shop too, you may
be pleasantly surprised as the sheds are not always the cheapest and never
the best. That said I don't know of any that stock that make which should
tell you something! (made to a price not for a job?)

Personally I would look at machines from Stihl, Husqvarna and Honda, and
although probably about twice the price they are worth it IME. You really do
get what you pay for with this sort of tool and I have no doubt they would
be cheaper in the long run.

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 05-09-2006, 06:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,england.rec.gardening

"Checked the spark
plug (not taken it out) and it looks good and clean."

er....out of interest, what did you check then?...wether it looked "nice"?

Old 17-11-2006, 11:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,england.rec.gardening

"Neil" wrote in message
"Checked the spark
plug (not taken it out) and it looks good and clean."

er....out of interest, what did you check then?...wether it looked "nice"?

Just a thought we use a Mculloch 2 stroke chainsaw and it is very sensitive
to having more then the recommended 2 stroke oil . If you suspect that may
be the case take your plug out clean the deposits off the electrodes with a
brass brush then heat it over a gas flame for a minute or so ( wear thick
glove obviously) then refit while still hot prime the carb and have another
try at starting.
Derek