Old 26-08-2006, 11:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
NC NC is offline

Default planting bulbs - mulch of bark chipings ?

I am currently putting a border of slate pieces aroudn the garden as a
decorative border. However, I would like to also plant some bulbs to
give a bit of colour next year. Can I leave some patches of the border
uncovered by slate and weed guard, plant the bulbs and then cover the
patches with decorative bark chippings (to avoid empty looking bits of
soil) ? Will the builds 'make it through' the bark OK ?
Even better, could I plant them under slate but just leave out the weed
guard on these patches ?
(I think these questions make sense ! )
Old 26-08-2006, 11:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hello,

I depends which bulbs really, I have seen daffodils push up through
carpet bedding plants and even lift a plant out of the ground, so I
don't think slate would be a problem. Just leave the area free of weed
barrier.

Edd Smith

www.charleylandscapes.com

http://groups.google.com/group/charleylandscapes

Old 26-08-2006, 11:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
NC NC is offline

EddSmith wrote:
Hello,

I depends which bulbs really, I have seen daffodils push up through
carpet bedding plants and even lift a plant out of the ground, so I
don't think slate would be a problem. Just leave the area free of weed
barrier.

Edd Smith

www.charleylandscapes.com

http://groups.google.com/group/charleylandscapes

thanks.
Prob a mixture - dafs, tulips etc. Anything I find the garden center
that looks nice on the picture.
Can you tell this is my first garden !?
Old 27-08-2006, 07:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

NC wrote:
EddSmith wrote:
Hello,

I depends which bulbs really, I have seen daffodils push up through
carpet bedding plants and even lift a plant out of the ground, so I
don't think slate would be a problem. Just leave the area free of weed
barrier.

Edd Smith

www.charleylandscapes.com

http://groups.google.com/group/charleylandscapes

thanks.
Prob a mixture - dafs, tulips etc. Anything I find the garden center
that looks nice on the picture.
Can you tell this is my first garden !?

I don't think I'd bother with the weed barrier, quite honestly: I'd
spend the money on more plants. As seasons go by, weeds will grow on
top of the membrane and have to be taken out anyhow. Bulbs will come
through stone chippings as long as the layer isn't too thick; but
nature will try to turn the chippings into soil by rotting leaves and
stuff into them, including the top growth of your bulbs as it dies
down.

--
Mike.

Old 27-08-2006, 07:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mike Lyle" wrote
I don't think I'd bother with the weed barrier, quite honestly: I'd
spend the money on more plants. As seasons go by, weeds will grow on
top of the membrane and have to be taken out anyhow. Bulbs will come
through stone chippings as long as the layer isn't too thick; but
nature will try to turn the chippings into soil by rotting leaves and
stuff into them, including the top growth of your bulbs as it dies
down.
Mike.

Too true, we have gravel on a flat concrete roof - I have to weed it from
time to time!
Jenny

Snake bark maple - dead bark kay United Kingdom 8 24-05-2010 09:32 AM
[IBC] Oil Dry & Bark Mulch Billy M. Rhodes Bonsai 9 17-02-2005 08:33 PM
Oil Dry & Bark Mulch Tex John Bonsai 0 17-02-2005 02:49 AM
bark mulch or pine needles? alien Gardening 0 10-03-2004 05:12 PM
pine bark mulch Susan Gardening 2 02-03-2003 12:27 PM