Old 02-09-2006, 02:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Winter is iccumen in

Lhud sing goddamn.

My courgettes have stopped producing female flowers, even my beans
have started to set badly, and my squashes are showing signs of
losing foliage before ripening. And I have jalapenos but no other
chilis.

All right, a lot of this was that I didn't get into action until
the year warmed up, and July hit before the plants had grown properly,
but August has been MISERABLE.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 02-09-2006, 02:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote

but August has been MISERABLE.

Miserable? That's an understatement. It's like the end of the world up
here in Bolton with torrential rain and wind.

Old 02-09-2006, 02:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jane" wrote in message
"Nick Maclaren" wrote

but August has been MISERABLE.

Miserable? That's an understatement. It's like the end of the world up
here in Bolton with torrential rain and wind.

ditto here on the Isle of Wight :-((

Mike

--
--------------------------------------
www.rnshipmates.co.uk

Old 02-09-2006, 03:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in a message:
snip
but August has been MISERABLE.
---

Not to worry! I'm sure I heard a weather pundit on night time BBC 5Live
forecast an even hotter summer for next year. Just think of all those
exotics you'll be able to consider growing.

MikeCT

Old 02-09-2006, 03:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"MikeCT" wrote in message

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in a message:
snip
but August has been MISERABLE.
---

Not to worry! I'm sure I heard a weather pundit on night time BBC 5Live
forecast an even hotter summer for next year. Just think of all those
exotics you'll be able to consider growing.

MikeCT

Ah but we are in for a very bad winter coming, you should see the amount of
berries on the trees around here :-((

Booked another couple of cruises for the winter to get out of it. Not quite
as long as the World Cruise we did at the start of the year :-((
.........but it will mean that we spent a third of 2006, [and in the winter
months too], cruising :-))

Mike

--
--------------------------------------
www.rnshipmates.co.uk

Old 02-09-2006, 03:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jane" wrote in message
"Nick Maclaren" wrote

but August has been MISERABLE.

Miserable? That's an understatement. It's like the end of the world up
here in Bolton with torrential rain and wind.

Lucky you, at least you have had some rain, there's been very little here in
East Berks, and nothing is growing well, in fact some things have died off!

Alan

Old 02-09-2006, 04:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"MikeCT" writes:

| Not to worry! I'm sure I heard a weather pundit on night time BBC 5Live
| forecast an even hotter summer for next year. Just think of all those
| exotics you'll be able to consider growing.

Given the accuracy of their August forecast, I may try growing things
like cloudberries.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 02-09-2006, 05:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2/9/06 14:17, in article , "Jane"
wrote:

"Nick Maclaren" wrote

but August has been MISERABLE.

Miserable? That's an understatement. It's like the end of the world up
here in Bolton with torrential rain and wind.

It's been like that here today but 'miserable'? We've had a hot, dry August
with little rain of any use.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 02-09-2006, 05:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2/9/06 16:48, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article ,
"MikeCT" writes:

| Not to worry! I'm sure I heard a weather pundit on night time BBC 5Live
| forecast an even hotter summer for next year. Just think of all those
| exotics you'll be able to consider growing.

Given the accuracy of their August forecast, I may try growing things
like cloudberries.

Who was it who said "it's being so cheerful as keeps 'im going"? ;-)

Old 02-09-2006, 05:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 2/9/06 16:48, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article ,
"MikeCT" writes:

| Not to worry! I'm sure I heard a weather pundit on night time BBC

5Live
| forecast an even hotter summer for next year. Just think of all those
| exotics you'll be able to consider growing.

Given the accuracy of their August forecast, I may try growing things
like cloudberries.

Who was it who said "it's being so cheerful as keeps 'im going"? ;-)

--
Sacha
South Devon
http://www.discoverdartmoor.co.uk/

Who is showing their age?

Mike

--
--------------------------------------
www.rnshipmates.co.uk

Old 02-09-2006, 06:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote
Lhud sing goddamn.

My courgettes have stopped producing female flowers, even my beans
have started to set badly, and my squashes are showing signs of
losing foliage before ripening. And I have jalapenos but no other
chilis.

All right, a lot of this was that I didn't get into action until
the year warmed up, and July hit before the plants had grown properly,
but August has been MISERABLE.

We noticed that the winter/spring/summer was beautiful, although seriously
dry, until the kids broke up from school and then it immediately went into a
cloudy dull cool and wet phase with just the odd sunny period. Perhaps when
they go back to school it will brighten up again. :-)

Today we have very strong winds, heavy cloud cover and intermittent
horizontal light showers.

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 02-09-2006, 08:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mike" wrote in message

Booked another couple of cruises for the winter to get out of it. Not
quite as long as the World Cruise we did at the start of the year :-((
........but it will mean that we spent a third of 2006, [and in the winter
months too], cruising :-))

Mike

Ah well. Usenet's loss is someone else's gain, so they say.

Life can indeed be so cruel at times.

michael adams

Old 02-09-2006, 10:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Here in cumbria autumn has arrived big time - umm along with one tonne
of manure..eww..as a first timer, I reserve the right to approach the
pile cautiously. Hasn't stopped raining all day. However my new
allotment is a tad tidier than it was three days ago
LW

Old 03-09-2006, 04:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

My goodness what pessimism! We received the first half decent bit of
rain for months on Saturday and the very first winds greater than
moderate breezes since spring, which flattened the rather overtall
flower stems on my Crinums. Not the best of days, but the max/min was
22C/17C and that is a far cry from hints of autumn, Especially when
Friday gave 26C/18C max/min. It allowed me brief respite from
twice-daily watering since April and that was greatly welcome.
However, regardless of the rain I'll have to be out with the hose again
on Sunday morning because only enough fell to prevent the soil from
becoming any drier. The sheer density of foliage here at the moment
means that vast amounts of water are being pumped out of the soil by
the hour and it would take a near monsoonal storm every day to
counteract that.

Old 03-09-2006, 11:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 3/9/06 04:45, in article
, "DavePoole Torquay"
wrote:

My goodness what pessimism! We received the first half decent bit of
rain for months on Saturday and the very first winds greater than
moderate breezes since spring, which flattened the rather overtall
flower stems on my Crinums. Not the best of days, but the max/min was
22C/17C and that is a far cry from hints of autumn, Especially when
Friday gave 26C/18C max/min. It allowed me brief respite from
twice-daily watering since April and that was greatly welcome.
However, regardless of the rain I'll have to be out with the hose again
on Sunday morning because only enough fell to prevent the soil from
becoming any drier. The sheer density of foliage here at the moment
means that vast amounts of water are being pumped out of the soil by
the hour and it would take a near monsoonal storm every day to
counteract that.

It's much fresher and brighter here this morning after the rain. Things
seem greener already! But it's most certainly not cold. In fact, if it
hadn't been so windy I suspect we'd be looking at horrendous fog today,
because last night was very warm. When we drove over to Newton Abbot last
night the thermometer in the car said 66F.