Old 08-09-2006, 12:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
KK KK is offline

Default Things to do in the greenhouse over winter

Hello,

I use my small greenhouse for tomatoes etc in the summer & raising seedlings
in the spring. Over the winter it is essentially a store room.

Any suggestions for better uses over winter.

I don't really want to fully heat it over the winter, but would be happy to
keep it above freezing with a fan heater on 'frost' setting.

Thanks

Old 08-09-2006, 03:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"KK" wrote in message
Hello,

I use my small greenhouse for tomatoes etc in the summer & raising
seedlings
in the spring. Over the winter it is essentially a store room.

Any suggestions for better uses over winter.

It's probably not at all suitable for you but we put our hen coop against
the lower vent and allow the banties into the greenhouse over winter. I
means that they're sheltered but they also scratch in the borders, eat bugs,
some weeds and they fertilise the ground. As the weather warms the door is
opened and they have the freedom to go into the garden if they want to. I
don't use any other fertiliser in the greenhouse (or anywhere, come to that)
and have had bumper crops since we began such winter housing.

I don't really want to fully heat it over the winter, but would be happy
keep it above freezing with a fan heater on 'frost' setting.

I bought a fan heater for that reason but it used a lot of power (= CO2) and
didn't seem to have any benefit since I wasn't growing anything in there.

Mary

Old 08-09-2006, 06:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
sam sam is offline

KK wrote:
Hello,

I use my small greenhouse for tomatoes etc in the summer & raising seedlings
in the spring. Over the winter it is essentially a store room.

Any suggestions for better uses over winter.

Thanks

Chrysanthemums, KK, Exhibition Chrysanthemums.
They are the Queen of the Autumn ( and winter).
John Woolman is the nursery to look at. He had the
business after his father, who had the business after
his father, who was a VMH. They don't make 'em
like that any more.
It is a fascinating pursuit.