Old 04-03-2008, 02:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Starting things off in Greenhouse

I am quite keen on trying different things this year. I do not have a
big garden so I am more interested in quality rather than quantity. To
this end I like to start things off in the greenhouse.

What do people think to starting cabbages, sprouts, broccoli and the
like in the greenhouse? Is it worth it? Any tips?

Old 04-03-2008, 05:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 4, 2:57 pm, judith wrote:
I am quite keen on trying different things this year. I do not have a
big garden so I am more interested in quality rather than quantity. To
this end I like to start things off in the greenhouse.

What do people think to starting cabbages, sprouts, broccoli and the
like in the greenhouse? Is it worth it? Any tips?

We don't have a greenhouse at this house at the moment. Usually the
season has already started and my husband will have sown the seeds
under heat in the greenhouse. Of course you can also grow all your
own annuals, mine are sown but unfortunately no greenhouse here in
France, so it's a table in the barn for the moment until we get one.
Where do you live Judith? that would have some bearing on how early
to sow certain things.

Judith
Old 04-03-2008, 05:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"judith" wrote...
I am quite keen on trying different things this year. I do not have a
big garden so I am more interested in quality rather than quantity. To
this end I like to start things off in the greenhouse.

What do people think to starting cabbages, sprouts, broccoli and the
like in the greenhouse? Is it worth it? Any tips?

Whilst we do start most things off in our little heated greenhouse the
Brassicas we start in "Rootrainers" of normal multipurpose compost outside
(on the garage roof). They do not need a high temperature to germinate.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 04-03-2008, 05:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 4, 5:01 pm, "Bob Hobden" wrote:
"judith" wrote...
I am quite keen on trying different things this year. I do not have a
big garden so I am more interested in quality rather than quantity. To
this end I like to start things off in the greenhouse.

What do people think to starting cabbages, sprouts, broccoli and the
like in hhe greenhouse? Is it worth it? Any tips?

Whilst we do start most things off in our little heated greenhouse the
Brassicas we start in "Rootrainers" of normal multipurpose compost outside
(on the garage roof). They do not need a high temperature to germinate.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden
17mls W. of London.UK

Bob, what's your greenhouse like, how big etc. etc.make etc. as we
don't have one here in France.

Judith
Old 04-03-2008, 05:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Judith in France" wrote after...
"Bob Hobden" wrote:
"judith" wrote...
I am quite keen on trying different things this year. I do not have a
big garden so I am more interested in quality rather than quantity. To
this end I like to start things off in the greenhouse.

What do people think to starting cabbages, sprouts, broccoli and the
like in hhe greenhouse? Is it worth it? Any tips?

Whilst we do start most things off in our little heated greenhouse the
Brassicas we start in "Rootrainers" of normal multipurpose compost
outside
(on the garage roof). They do not need a high temperature to germinate.

Bob, what's your greenhouse like, how big etc. etc.make etc. as we
don't have one here in France.

It's made of wood glazed with large sheets of acrylic and is a "lean-to" on
the end of our polycarbonate roofed garage, size about 6ft by 9ft and has
one outside door and one into the back of the garage.
Make...me. :-)

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 04-03-2008, 06:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 4 Mar 2008 09:01:14 -0800 (PST), Judith in France
wrote:

On Mar 4, 2:57 pm, judith wrote:
I am quite keen on trying different things this year. I do not have a
big garden so I am more interested in quality rather than quantity. To
this end I like to start things off in the greenhouse.

What do people think to starting cabbages, sprouts, broccoli and the
like in the greenhouse? Is it worth it? Any tips?

We don't have a greenhouse at this house at the moment. Usually the
season has already started and my husband will have sown the seeds
under heat in the greenhouse. Of course you can also grow all your
own annuals, mine are sown but unfortunately no greenhouse here in
France, so it's a table in the barn for the moment until we get one.
Where do you live Judith? that would have some bearing on how early
to sow certain things.

Judith

Sheffield - so spring and summer are later than the south
Old 04-03-2008, 10:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
On Mar 4, 2:57 pm, judith wrote:
I am quite keen on trying different things this year. I do not have a
big garden so I am more interested in quality rather than quantity. To
this end I like to start things off in the greenhouse.

What do people think to starting cabbages, sprouts, broccoli and the
like in the greenhouse? Is it worth it? Any tips?

We don't have a greenhouse at this house at the moment. Usually the
season has already started and my husband will have sown the seeds
under heat in the greenhouse. Of course you can also grow all your
own annuals, mine are sown but unfortunately no greenhouse here in
France, so it's a table in the barn for the moment until we get one.
Where do you live Judith? that would have some bearing on how early
to sow certain things.

Judith

Sheffield - so spring and summer are later than the south

Aaah. I have the same problem in the Auvergne but there is the
consolation that the Summer can be very hot and the Autumn, well, I
enjoy that more than the Summjer.

Judith
Old 04-03-2008, 10:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 4, 5:59 pm, "Bob Hobden" wrote:
"Judith in France" wrote after...
"Bob Hobden" wrote:

"judith" wrote...
[...]

Thanks Bob, Do you have any shelving in there and how do you heat it?

Judith
Old 04-03-2008, 11:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote:
"Judith in France" wrote after...
"Bob Hobden" wrote:

"judith" wrote...
[...]

Yes, shelving came from "Two Wests and Elliot" years ago and I use an
electric fan heater.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 05-03-2008, 11:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote:
"Judith in France" wrote after...
"Bob Hobden" wrote:

"judith" wrote...
[...]

An ordinary fan heater? What are your running costs Bob?

Judith

Old 05-03-2008, 04:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 5, 1:25 pm, Martin wrote:
On Tue, 4 Mar 2008 14:17:09 -0800 (PST), Judith in France

wrote:
On Mar 4, 2:57 pm, judith wrote:
[...]

Spring is three weeks early in Zuid Holland, we have both daffodils, hyacinths
and tulips in flower and trees covered in blossom.
--

Martin

How lovely Martin can you post a pic? We have snow and blizzards here
and just on Sunday and Monday I was in the garden trying to stop the
sun burning my neck!!! I don't know what is happening with the
weather.

Judith
Old 05-03-2008, 05:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Judith in France" wrote
"Bob Hobden" wrote:

Yes, shelving came from "Two Wests and Elliot" years ago and I use an
electric fan heater.

An ordinary fan heater? What are your running costs Bob?

A greenhouse fan heater, and I don't want to think about the costs!

Anyway it is a lot cheaper than what friends pay to try to knock a little
white ball down a hole. :-)

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 01-09-2011, 01:08 AM
Registered User

We don't accept a greenhouse at this abode at the moment. Usually the season has already started and my bedmate will accept sown the seeds under calefaction in the greenhouse. Of advance you can aswell abound all your own annuals, abundance are sown but abominably no greenhouse actuality in France, so it's a table in the barn for the moment until we get one.