Old 14-09-2006, 03:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Exbury Nursery

We've just heard that Exbury Nursery has gone bust, which seems
extraordinary. Has anyone else heard this?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 14-09-2006, 10:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The lead story in this weeks Horticulture Week - apparently the Belgian
backers pulled the plug.
Clifford
Bawtry, Doncaster, South Yorkshire

Old 15-09-2006, 06:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
We've just heard that Exbury Nursery has gone bust, which seems
extraordinary. Has anyone else heard this?

Didn't have confirmation 'til I saw HW this morning. Didn't see it
yesterday - we were out: it was too wet here for gardening outdoors so
I went up Snowdon with my wife ;~))

What a sad sorry story of personality clashes and a huge hit for
Phyophthora ramorum.
--
Rod

My real address is rodthegardeneratmyisp

Old 15-09-2006, 06:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 15/9/06 18:14, in article ,
"Rod Craddock" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
We've just heard that Exbury Nursery has gone bust, which seems
extraordinary. Has anyone else heard this?

Didn't have confirmation 'til I saw HW this morning. Didn't see it
yesterday - we were out: it was too wet here for gardening outdoors so
I went up Snowdon with my wife ;~))

I am SO glad Ray doesn't have moments like that over the toast and
marmalade!

What a sad sorry story of personality clashes and a huge hit for
Phyophthora ramorum.

I'm afraid so. The personality clash happened a little while ago,
apparently but it really is so sad to hear of yet another nursery going down
the drain.
As an aside, a now dead gardener Ray knew and who was in charge of Agatha
Christie's garden, had a strong belief that Phyophthora ramorum has been
around for years but in an 'unrampant' and fairly mild sort of way. I
haven't followed any detail on this but imagine that it's possible that
climate change and importations have helped to spread it and faster?
And how very nice to hear from you again, Rod! I'm on the trail of a
Camellia chrysantha atm and x fingers. If I can get one or two, would you be
interested? I know the chances of success are minimal but I'd really like
to try!