Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 15-09-2006, 07:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Plant Finder Software?

I just got a job in a nursery! But could use some help. Perhaps there's a
computer fix out there?

A customer asks (this one a few days ago) for a tree to replace an Elder
that her neighbours cut down. To grow next to a wall so pretty dry,
evergreen, fast growing, spreading and reasonably dense for privacy. Seems
she wants a tree that would be just about "perfect" in all respects. I was
stumped here... if it exists at all (Photinia "Red Robin" perhaps?)

Anyway, a bit of software that will enable you to enter requirements and
then produce some suggestions would be splendid. Plus the ability to cross
reference Latin names and common names would help too. We only use the Latin
at work, so if asked for, say, a Fig tree if you don't know Ficus your
stuffed!

There is something similar for id'ing mushrooms. Enter characteristics and
it will offer closest matches. Does anything like this for plants exist out
there?

Les

--
Remove Frontal Lobes to reply direct.