Old 16-09-2006, 07:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Garlic

Do people think it's time now to begin planting garlic, or shall I
wait a bit longer, given the unusual weather we've been having? I'm
in London, by the way.

Ken

Old 16-09-2006, 07:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
Do people think it's time now to begin planting garlic, or shall I
wait a bit longer, given the unusual weather we've been having? I'm
in London, by the way.

I wait a bit longer for mine. End of October/early november. Too early
and the shoots might get damage by frost. I usually manure at this time
too, so I cover them for winter protection at the same time.

Old 16-09-2006, 08:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:
The Daily Telegraph had a piece on that just today and suggests it as a good
time to plant. From what others tell me who grow it, you get better sized
bulbs if you plant it around now.

Don't beleive everything you read in the papers. Either plant garlic in
the fall or spring. If the winter has been harsh - you always have the
chance to plant it in the spring again. That's an advice from someone
who does grow garlic - beautiful tasty Italian pink ones, at both time.

Garlic - garlic.jpg Ann Garden Photos 2 03-04-2008 11:31 AM
Speaking of garlic... John S. DeBoo Edible Gardening 4 29-05-2003 10:20 PM
Elphant Garlic Bill Edible Gardening 11 29-05-2003 05:20 PM
Wild garlic Chris Hogg United Kingdom 0 30-03-2003 02:33 AM
Does garlic set seed? Robert cubitt United Kingdom 2 20-10-2002 09:39 PM