Old 17-09-2006, 04:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Help Identifying tree/shrub?

Hi all,

Can anyone give me a bit of help identifying this tree/shrub in our
garden - been here a few months and still not managed to identify it?
It's currently about 10ft tall and has small reddish/brown berries on
it (had small white flowers earlier in the year):

Full pictu
http://www.seajays.org.uk/mysterytree/IMG0918.JPG

Closeups:
http://www.seajays.org.uk/mysterytree/IMG0919.JPG
http://www.seajays.org.uk/mysterytree/IMG0920.JPG
http://www.seajays.org.uk/mysterytree/IMG0921.JPG

I was wondering if it may be some type of privet - but being relatively
new to gardening, the only privet I've ever seen has been hedges with
small leaves. Is this it's more 'natural' form - or is it something
completely different?

Cheers,
Colin.

Old 17-09-2006, 04:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
[...]

One other thing I forgot to add - which may cause a problem with my
'privet' identification - is that it had no leaves during the winter so
it doesn't seem to be an evergreen.

Old 17-09-2006, 06:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17/9/06 16:50, in article
, "

Hi all,

Can anyone give me a bit of help identifying this tree/shrub in our
garden - been here a few months and still not managed to identify it?
It's currently about 10ft tall and has small reddish/brown berries on
it (had small white flowers earlier in the year):

Full pictu
http://www.seajays.org.uk/mysterytree/IMG0918.JPG

Closeups:
http://www.seajays.org.uk/mysterytree/IMG0919.JPG
http://www.seajays.org.uk/mysterytree/IMG0920.JPG
http://www.seajays.org.uk/mysterytree/IMG0921.JPG

I was wondering if it may be some type of privet - but being relatively
new to gardening, the only privet I've ever seen has been hedges with
small leaves. Is this it's more 'natural' form - or is it something
completely different?

snip

Looks like one of the larger leafed Cotoneasters.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 18-09-2006, 12:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:
On 17/9/06 16:50, in article
, "

[...]

Thanks Sacha, that's not one I had looked at, but a quick look for some
random 'Cotoneaster' pictures on google, certainly has some with a
remarkable resemblance. I think the 'tree like' nature of the ones in
my garden had thrown me a bit (the one pictured has a four inch
'trunk'). If anyone has any idea of the actual variety that would be
great. :-)

Cheers for the pointer.
Colin.