Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 26-09-2006, 02:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Pruning - soft fruits and figs

I have new raspberry (Autumn Bliss - just fruiting), blackcurrant, and
gooseberry bushes in a small patch plus a fig in a pot.

The fig produced a couple of figs last year or the year before (can't
remember which) but didn't really grow leaf-wise until this year, it's
really come on and I think may have some little fig buds (they are
petit-pois sized but don't look like the leaf buds as they are not
pointy). It used to live in London and before that in Devon but now
lives in coastal Lancashire - frost is rare, and it's in a sheltered
yard on a south-facing wall. It doesn't seem to have been bothered by
the winter last year when it got a little frost. So I'm wondering if
it really needs horticultural fleece as I've read it should - it was in
a more exposed spot in its birthplace in Devon.

I pruned it a bit in early summer (May/June) having read that you need
to get each group of leaves down to about 5. Now the leaves have
blossomed (so to speak) and it's got loads more per group. Do I prune
it again? When should I do that? It hasn't started losing its leaves
this autumn yet.

On the soft fruit front, what/when/how should I prune? Neither
blackcurrant nor gooseberry produced fruit this year, the blackcurrant
has grown a lot and still has lots of leaves but for some reason (I
suspect slugs) the gooseberry, which is quite small still, has only a
few leaves (mostly recent - it seemed quite bare for a while).

Thanks!

Katie