Old 30-09-2005, 04:25 PM
Ceri Davies

Default When to plant soft fruits

I've traded in my old plot for a larger one at the same site, so it's
planning time. I'm thinking of putting out some raspberries (and
possibly blackberries, though they're common enough round here that I
may not bother) and since it's nearly the time of year where I'd be
cutting back an established plant I wonder when I should be planting out
new ones. Any suggestions?

Ceri
not sure about the former. -- Einstein (attrib.)
Old 30-09-2005, 04:26 PM
shazzbat

"Ceri Davies" wrote in message
I've traded in my old plot for a larger one at the same site, so it's
planning time. I'm thinking of putting out some raspberries (and
possibly blackberries, though they're common enough round here that I
may not bother) and since it's nearly the time of year where I'd be
cutting back an established plant I wonder when I should be planting out
new ones. Any suggestions?

I would recommend thornless blackberries. A friend gave us some a couple of
years ago, and now they're pretty much established I'm taking out the 'wild'
type that were on the allotment from day one. The fruits on the thornless
are a much better shape and size, and I don't get sliced to ribbons picking
them.

Steve

Old 30-09-2005, 05:41 PM
Mike Lyle

shazzbat wrote:
[...]
I would recommend thornless blackberries. A friend gave us some a
couple of years ago, and now they're pretty much established I'm
taking out the 'wild' type that were on the allotment from day one.
The fruits on the thornless are a much better shape and size, and I
don't get sliced to ribbons picking them.

How are they for flavour? Do you know which variety?

--
Mike.

Old 30-09-2005, 06:49 PM
Peter Stockdale

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
shazzbat wrote:
[...]
I would recommend thornless blackberries. A friend gave us some a
couple of years ago, and now they're pretty much established I'm
taking out the 'wild' type that were on the allotment from day one.
The fruits on the thornless are a much better shape and size, and I
don't get sliced to ribbons picking them.

How are they for flavour? Do you know which variety?

--
Mike.

But the poster asked "when", not various opinions on "which" !
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 30-09-2005, 06:53 PM
Mike Lyle

Peter Stockdale wrote:
"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
shazzbat wrote:
[...]
I would recommend thornless blackberries. A friend gave us some a
couple of years ago, and now they're pretty much established I'm
taking out the 'wild' type that were on the allotment from day

one.
The fruits on the thornless are a much better shape and size, and

don't get sliced to ribbons picking them.

How are they for flavour? Do you know which variety?

--
Mike.

But the poster asked "when", not various opinions on "which" !
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

I'm afraid your point eludes me.

--
Mike.

Old 30-09-2005, 07:37 PM
shazzbat

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
Peter Stockdale wrote:
"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
shazzbat wrote:
[...]
I would recommend thornless blackberries. A friend gave us some a
couple of years ago, and now they're pretty much established I'm
taking out the 'wild' type that were on the allotment from day

one.
The fruits on the thornless are a much better shape and size, and

don't get sliced to ribbons picking them.

How are they for flavour? Do you know which variety?

They're nice for flavour, don't ask me to wax lyrical, I don't have the
descriptive powers. And no, I don't know what variety, other than the free
variety. :-)) Sorry

But the poster asked "when", not various opinions on "which" !

True, but I posted that because the OP dismissed blackberries, and I
considered it relevant. I would say that now is a good time to plant new
stock because the soil hasn't got cold and soggy yet, but that's the voice
of logic rather than expertise speaking.

And incidentally, does anyone know of a thornless gooseberry? I wouldn't
mind some of those.

Steve

Old 30-09-2005, 08:27 PM
Kay

In article , Ceri Davies
writes
I've traded in my old plot for a larger one at the same site, so it's
planning time. I'm thinking of putting out some raspberries (and
possibly blackberries, though they're common enough round here that I
may not bother) and since it's nearly the time of year where I'd be
cutting back an established plant I wonder when I should be planting out
new ones. Any suggestions?

If container grown, any time. Otherwise, now.

Blackberries and all the blackberry-raspberry hybrids are pruned in the
late summer/autumn, after you've finished picking all the fruits. Take
out at ground level all the stems that have fruited, then tie in
horizontally at various heights all the long straight non-fruiting
stems. They will produce side branches which will fruit. Meanwhile, new
long straight stems will be produced from the bottom - tie these in
loosely in a bundle vertically to keep them out of the way of the
fruiting branches (for your convenience rather than the plant's)

Someone else will have to explain raspberries as I don't do them.
--
Kay

Old 30-09-2005, 09:29 PM
chris French

In message , Kay
writes
In article , Ceri Davies
writes
I've traded in my old plot for a larger one at the same site, so it's
planning time. I'm thinking of putting out some raspberries (and
possibly blackberries, though they're common enough round here that I
may not bother) and since it's nearly the time of year where I'd be
cutting back an established plant I wonder when I should be planting out
new ones. Any suggestions?

If container grown, any time. Otherwise, now.

Or anytime over winter if necessary, before the new growth starts.

snip

Someone else will have to explain raspberries as I don't do them.

Basically two sorts, Autumn and Summer fruiting.

Autumn fruiting, fruit later (as you might expect) on this years wood.
So cut down all shoots to near the ground in the winter.

Summer fruiting fruit on last years wood, so you need to prune out the
old wood after fruiting has finished.
--
Chris French

Old 30-09-2005, 09:36 PM
J Jackson

Kay wrote:
: In article , Ceri Davies
: writes
: I've traded in my old plot for a larger one at the same site, so it's
: planning time. I'm thinking of putting out some raspberries (and
: possibly blackberries, though they're common enough round here that I
: may not bother) and since it's nearly the time of year where I'd be
: cutting back an established plant I wonder when I should be planting out
: new ones. Any suggestions?
:
: If container grown, any time. Otherwise, now.

If buying bare rooted plants, then I'd suggest the usual late oct/nov, the
same time as you'd do bare roots soft fruit bushes and fruit trees. If you
are tranplanting runners from exisiting plants then as long as you get
enough soil and the roots aren't going to be too disturbed, then any time
after fruiting.

cheers
Jim

: Blackberries and all the blackberry-raspberry hybrids are pruned in the
: late summer/autumn, after you've finished picking all the fruits. Take
: out at ground level all the stems that have fruited, then tie in
: horizontally at various heights all the long straight non-fruiting
: stems. They will produce side branches which will fruit. Meanwhile, new
: long straight stems will be produced from the bottom - tie these in
: loosely in a bundle vertically to keep them out of the way of the
: fruiting branches (for your convenience rather than the plant's)

: Someone else will have to explain raspberries as I don't do them.
: --
: Kay
: "Do not insult the crocodile until you have crossed the river"
:
Old 01-10-2005, 03:05 PM
Ceri Davies

On 2005-09-30, Peter Stockdale wrote:

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
shazzbat wrote:
[...]
I would recommend thornless blackberries. A friend gave us some a
couple of years ago, and now they're pretty much established I'm
taking out the 'wild' type that were on the allotment from day one.
The fruits on the thornless are a much better shape and size, and I
don't get sliced to ribbons picking them.

How are they for flavour? Do you know which variety?

But the poster asked "when", not various opinions on "which" !
Pete

True, but "which" is somewhat implicit in that; the concept of "too
much" doesn't exist when it comes to advice.

Old 01-10-2005, 03:08 PM
Ceri Davies

On 2005-09-30, J Jackson wrote:
Kay wrote:
: In article , Ceri Davies
: writes
: I've traded in my old plot for a larger one at the same site, so it's
: planning time. I'm thinking of putting out some raspberries (and
: possibly blackberries, though they're common enough round here that I
: may not bother) and since it's nearly the time of year where I'd be
: cutting back an established plant I wonder when I should be planting out
: new ones. Any suggestions?
:
: If container grown, any time. Otherwise, now.

If buying bare rooted plants, then I'd suggest the usual late oct/nov, the
same time as you'd do bare roots soft fruit bushes and fruit trees. If you
are tranplanting runners from exisiting plants then as long as you get
enough soil and the roots aren't going to be too disturbed, then any time
after fruiting.

Right, that's good. This plot has nothing on it at the moment (well,
it has bramble, bindweed and dock - nothing that I want to keep!) so a
month will give me enough time to buy in the new plants and sort out the
ground first.

Thanks for all the answers!

Old 01-10-2005, 04:02 PM
Mike Lyle

On 2005-09-30, Peter Stockdale

wrote:

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
shazzbat wrote:
[...]

[...]
The fruits on the thornless are a much better shape and size,

and I
don't get sliced to ribbons picking them.

How are they for flavour? Do you know which variety?

But the poster asked "when", not various opinions on "which" !
Pete

True, but "which" is somewhat implicit in that; the concept of "too
much" doesn't exist when it comes to advice.

Quite so. But in any case I never said anything about what the OP
said! I asked a relevant question of my own, which was duly answered:
so far only Peter has suggested there was anything wrong with that.
It's not his normal behaviour, so I imagine the wrong side of the bed
was implicated -- happens to me so often I've given up even _looking_
for my slippers.

--
Mike.

Old 03-10-2005, 08:55 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Ceri Davies contains these words:

Right, that's good. This plot has nothing on it at the moment (well,
it has bramble, bindweed and dock - nothing that I want to keep!) so a
month will give me enough time to buy in the new plants and sort out the
ground first.

Thanks for all the answers!

Sort out the ground first, then buy in. You need to get bare rooted
trees, etc in as soon as you get them, really.

And unforget - there's many a slip between cup and lip; the best laid
schemes o' mice an' men gang afta-gley - and other adages like don't
count your bridges before Christmas.

--
Rusty
Old 03-10-2005, 08:56 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Mike Lyle" contains these words:

Quite so. But in any case I never said anything about what the OP
said! I asked a relevant question of my own, which was duly answered:
so far only Peter has suggested there was anything wrong with that.
It's not his normal behaviour, so I imagine the wrong side of the bed
was implicated -- happens to me so often I've given up even _looking_
for my slippers.

Just so long as I don't find them by *MY* bed.

--
Rusty
Old 03-10-2005, 11:34 PM
chris French

In message , Jaques
d'Alltrades writes
The message
from Ceri Davies contains these words:

Right, that's good. This plot has nothing on it at the moment (well,
it has bramble, bindweed and dock - nothing that I want to keep!) so a
month will give me enough time to buy in the new plants and sort out the
ground first.

Thanks for all the answers!

Sort out the ground first, then buy in. You need to get bare rooted
trees, etc in as soon as you get them, really.

And then you find that they've sold out of what you want....

Yep, in that ideal world get the ground done first then buy, but if not.
they will be fine 'heeled in' for weeks.
--
Chris French

Soft pretty plant Wendy7 Garden Photos 0 05-04-2010 06:39 AM
Pruning - soft fruits and figs [email protected] United Kingdom 7 02-10-2006 01:00 PM
Why do canned riped fruits stink more badly than fresh ripe fruits? Radium Edible Gardening 13 23-05-2006 11:22 PM
Tall, "Soft" Shrub/Plant pelirojaroja Gardening 9 03-10-2003 03:32 AM
Hard:Alkaline::Soft:Acid ??? (was Amazon sword?) Victor M. Martinez Freshwater Aquaria Plants 4 21-02-2003 09:26 PM