Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 30-09-2006, 12:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Converting a Jungle to a Garden

A little inspiration! For those gardeners faced with the task of converting
weed infested abandoned allotments or gardens into productive land or flower
beds, take heart that it can be done! Before and After photos of our garden
at:

http://dlts-french-adventures.blogspot.com/

Half of the 1 acre garden had been completely untended for around 15 years.
It was lost to an impenetrable tangled jungle of 6 feet high brambles,
nettles, bindweed, self set trees, rubbish and hundreds of discarded wine
bottles. It was completely impenetrable - even with a machete!

It has taken a year, a JCB, a chainsaw, a petrol strimmer, a pick, spade,
fork, secateurs and lots of weedkilling, lots of rotovating, blood, sweat
and tears, numerous insect bites, numerous cups of tea and lots of
back-breaking work collecting rocks dug up in the process.

If we can do it, anyone can, it just takes a clear vision of the desired end
result - and a really bad memory (to forget the hard graft done yesterday so
you can go out and do it again today!)

David & Lillian (in Normandy)... ready for a well earned rest!
Next, we've got the house and derelict barn to renovate.