Old 17-10-2006, 07:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Unheated Greenhouse

"Uncle Marvo" wrote in message
There are true stories about boats blowing up because the gas was leaking,

A parachutist is hurtling towards the ground after his parachute has failed
to open, when he observes a man hurtling from the ground up towards him! As
they pass one another the first yells "Do you know anything about
parachutes?". The other yells back "No! Do you know anything about paraffin
heaters?"

Boom boom!

--
David
.... Email address on website http://www.avisoft.co.uk

Old 18-10-2006, 07:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Uncle Marvo" wrote
There are true stories about boats blowing up because the gas was leaking,
filling the floor wells, unsuspecting chap gets out of bed and lights fag,
boom, whole marina goes up, millions of pounds-worth of damage, boat bits
found nearly a mile away

Myth Busters had a wonderful thing yesterday about people using 'Bug Bombs'
to clear their house of cockroaches. Sort of aerosol cans which ones sets
of, run away and it sprays automatically. Some people apparently use several
at once if they have a really bad infestation. BUT they forget to turn of
pilot lights on stoves or heaters.... BANG

Jenny

Old 18-10-2006, 09:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

, I, Marvo, say :

In article , Uncle Marvo
writes
The heater should be sited nearish the door and there should be
sufficient gap somewhere for it to flow out of, eg under the door
itself. This obviously lets cold in, so ...

Thank you for that I shall ensure there is a small circulation of air.

I would use a low wattage electric jobbie, like a tube heater or
even a frost protection fan heater with a good thermostat, it
doesn't have to be very powerful. Or even an underfloor element
(available from CEF and most good electrical wholesalers).

With the price of electricity going through the roof, believe it or
not, the paraffin is cheaper. We are currently trying to change
suppliers at present.

Paraffin is cheaper but (looks at stories above) not an option for me!

Or even bubble wrap.

Would that be sufficient in, say, March, April with just bubble wrap
alone?

I've used it on plants outside, things like NZ ferns and stuff, and it did
the job. The UV gets through it, little of it as there be, but the frost
doesn't bite. It is worth barking the soil round the bottom as well as that
is sufficient to insulate against even the deepest frost, so long as some
warmth gets back in during the day (hence bubble wrap). It's the root frost
which does the most damage, IINVMM.

Old 19-10-2006, 11:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Judith Lea
writes

Hi June, I also have an unheated greenhouse; it was heated with a brand
new paraffin stove. I put in my tomato plants very early and lost the
lot. One morning the entire glass inside the greenhouse was covered in
black, when I looked in , the plants were covered in soot - it was
evident that there had been an explosion of some kind; what we never
found out, Edward said it was something called a "blowback?? but I
have never risked lighting it again

A friend had a huge Hartley botanic's greenhouse installed in her new
house in February. Exactly the same thing happened to her with her new
paraffin heater.
She's changed to another form of heating now though she doesn't heat in
the summer.
Mind you the greenhouse must have cost an arm and a leg, small Hartley
Botanic's cost about 35,000.
On the other hand she's also having a swimming pond built at the bottom
of her garden and she did have half an acre of lawn taken up with the
top 6 inches of soil and new turf and soil brought in

(She gardens on a different scale to us!)
--
Janet Tweedy
Amersham Gardening Association