Old 14-10-2006, 12:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Unheated Greenhouse

Hi
Does anyone know what i can grow in an unheated greenhouse
Regards Chris

Old 14-10-2006, 12:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Christine Rowe
writes
Hi
Does anyone know what i can grow in an unheated greenhouse
Regards Chris

Depends where you live. We are in north London and mine is tiny and is
unheated, although when I get round to it, I shall buy a paraffin heater
for it. I usually put down some seeds in boxes in late Feb/March and
cover them with newspaper to germinate, putting a lid on the tray as
well. You could also use fleece, which I find very useful for
protecting seedlings. If you read the instructions on the seed packets
before you buy, you will see that they are generally very clear about
when it is safe to prick out seedlings or put them outside.
--
June Hughes
Old 14-10-2006, 02:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 14 Oct 2006 11:14:29 GMT, "Christine Rowe"
wrote and included this (or some of this):

Hi
Does anyone know what i can grow in an unheated greenhouse
Regards Chris

Stalactites?

Sorry, I'm sure someone may have a more sensible answer (even me
perhaps).

for example, in my greenhouse, unheated except for a little paraffin
heater in the Spring, I grow :-

Tomatoes 10 varieties started from seed in the conservatory
Cucumbers 2 varieties, also from seed
Parsley I usually buy a rooted pack from Tesco, split it up and it
grows like a weed in a greenhouse.
Radish Chuck a few seeds in the soil occasionally during the
season
Lettuce I start some seeds in the conservatory and plant out the
young 'uns in between the tomatoes before they get too big.
TomThumb, Salad bowl, rockets etc all go like the clappers.

When I had two greenhouses I grew some very successful melons and
indoor (late) chrysanthemums.

I've also grown aubergines and peppers

Everything is grown directly in the soil and has been for 15 years.
I sterilise and clean out every December (with a product I won't name)
I was using copious amounts of spent mushroom compost but am now
using mostly 6X and topping up with Growmore, Tomorite and
MiracleGrow. Bit of peat now and again and every other year a
top-up with some garden centre top-soil.

I am relatively lucky and unbothered by wilt or blight. The cucumbers
are planted on mounds of soil and never watered on their leaves or
stems.

Go forth and enjoy!

--
®óñ© © ² * ¹°°³

Old 17-10-2006, 11:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , June Hughes
writes
Depends where you live. We are in north London and mine is tiny and is
unheated, although when I get round to it, I shall buy a paraffin
heater for it. I usually put down some seeds in boxes in late Feb/March
and cover them with newspaper to germinate, putting a lid on the tray
as well. You could also use fleece, which I find very useful for
protecting seedlings. If you read the instructions on the seed packets
before you buy, you will see that they are generally very clear about
when it is safe to prick out seedlings or put them outside.

Hi June, I also have an unheated greenhouse; it was heated with a brand
new paraffin stove. I put in my tomato plants very early and lost the
lot. One morning the entire glass inside the greenhouse was covered in
black, when I looked in , the plants were covered in soot - it was
evident that there had been an explosion of some kind; what we never
found out, Edward said it was something called a "blowback?? but I have
never risked lighting it again

--
Judith Lea

Old 17-10-2006, 12:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Judith Lea
writes
In article , June Hughes
writes
[...]

Blimey, Judith! That has put me off a bit, although my first
father-in-law had several paraffin heaters and never came to any harm.
--
June Hughes
Old 17-10-2006, 12:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , June Hughes
writes
Blimey, Judith! That has put me off a bit, although my first
father-in-law had several paraffin heaters and never came to any harm.

When you come to my Mrs. Bucket's urg meet in June next year, you will
see that it is still black. I am a bit scared to use it in case it
blows up when I am in there.

--
Judith Lea
Old 17-10-2006, 12:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

, I, Marvo, say :

In article , June Hughes
writes
Blimey, Judith! That has put me off a bit, although my first
father-in-law had several paraffin heaters and never came to any
harm.

When you come to my Mrs. Bucket's urg meet in June next year, you will
see that it is still black. I am a bit scared to use it in case it
blows up when I am in there.

Did it have any ventilation? It is important that it does.

It is possible for a build up of paraffin vapour to exist, especially if it
isn't burning properly.

When the vapour and air mixture reaches a critical point you wouldn't want
to be there.

I would not have a gas appliance (or indeed a paraffin one) on the boat for
the same reason.

Old 17-10-2006, 01:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Judith Lea
writes
In article , June Hughes
writes
Blimey, Judith! That has put me off a bit, although my first
father-in-law had several paraffin heaters and never came to any harm.

When you come to my Mrs. Bucket's urg meet in June next year, you will
see that it is still black. I am a bit scared to use it in case it
blows up when I am in there.

Yes, I can understand that, Judith.
--
June Hughes
Old 17-10-2006, 02:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Uncle Marvo
writes
Did it have any ventilation? It is important that it does.

I think the window was open a little

It is possible for a build up of paraffin vapour to exist, especially if it
isn't burning properly.

My husband said that perhaps it wasn't burning properly

When the vapour and air mixture reaches a critical point you wouldn't want
to be there.

So what can one do to ensure that this doesn't happen again?

--
Judith Lea

Old 17-10-2006, 02:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

, I, Marvo, say :

In article , Uncle Marvo
writes
Did it have any ventilation? It is important that it does.

I think the window was open a little

It is possible for a build up of paraffin vapour to exist,
especially if it isn't burning properly.

My husband said that perhaps it wasn't burning properly

When the vapour and air mixture reaches a critical point you
wouldn't want to be there.

So what can one do to ensure that this doesn't happen again?

Ventilate it. You should provide an escape route for the vapour. I wouldn't
use a paraffin heater in a greenhouse myself but, if you do, be aware that
the vapour is heavier than air (although when it is hot and leaves the wick,
if there is one, it will initially rise) and it will eventually reach a
level where it finds the source of ignition (the heater itself) and blow
back (ie go bang).

It is a dodgy device and even if fully certified and serviced is a weapon.
Paraffin is what they run commercial jet airliners on (near enough) which
gives you some idea how potent it can be :-)

The heater should be sited nearish the door and there should be sufficient
gap somewhere for it to flow out of, eg under the door itself. This
obviously lets cold in, so ...

I would use a low wattage electric jobbie, like a tube heater or even a
frost protection fan heater with a good thermostat, it doesn't have to be
very powerful. Or even an underfloor element (available from CEF and most
good electrical wholesalers).

Or even bubble wrap.

HTH

Old 17-10-2006, 04:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Uncle Marvo wrote:
Ventilate it. You should provide an escape route for the vapour. I wouldn't
use a paraffin heater in a greenhouse myself but, if you do, be aware that
the vapour is heavier than air (although when it is hot and leaves the wick,
if there is one, it will initially rise) and it will eventually reach a
level where it finds the source of ignition (the heater itself) and blow
back (ie go bang).

When we were poor, we used to have an aladin parafin heater. It leaved
at the end of our bed (a matress on the floor) and I used to kick it
with my foot so that the flap would cover the wig and then switch it
off.

One day, I went to bed by myself - D was working late - and as usual I
kicked the aladin and fell asleep. Some hours later, I do remember
smelling the parafin, but it usually smelt a bit, and I kept sinking
deaper into my duvet. But then I was woken up by a crazy D, yelling my
name and struggling trying to open the window. When I opened my eyes I
couldn't see, for the smoke was so thick and I couldn't breeze either.

It is thanks to my Angel up there and D returning when he did. Or I
don't think I'll be there to tell the tale....

Old 17-10-2006, 04:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Uncle Marvo
writes
The heater should be sited nearish the door and there should be sufficient
gap somewhere for it to flow out of, eg under the door itself. This
obviously lets cold in, so ...

Thank you for that I shall ensure there is a small circulation of air.

I would use a low wattage electric jobbie, like a tube heater or even a
frost protection fan heater with a good thermostat, it doesn't have to be
very powerful. Or even an underfloor element (available from CEF and most
good electrical wholesalers).

With the price of electricity going through the roof, believe it or not,
the paraffin is cheaper. We are currently trying to change suppliers at
present.

Or even bubble wrap.

Would that be sufficient in, say, March, April with just bubble wrap
alone?
HTH

It does, thank you

--
Judith Lea
Old 17-10-2006, 04:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Uncle Marvo
writes
addendum ...

is it possible to make the floor of the greenhouse slope, even a little bit?

I'm afraid not. However, the door flew away for the second time in a
bad storm, it left the broken glass behind. We retrieved it and it is
now fitted with clear plastic where the glass was. It should be
possible to make some air holes at the bottom of the plastic.

--
Judith Lea