Old 15-10-2006, 09:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default honeysuckle help please, anyone?

Hiya folks,

I planted a honeysuckle back in very early spring and whilst it has
grown really well it is extremely leggy. It has just four stems and
each one is about 5-6ft in length. Can I cut it right back now and
will it grow much stronger? I'd like it to bush out more. I'm not
sure how old the plant is but I got it from a garden centre so I am
guessing it is maybe a year old??

Thanks in advance

Gail

Old 15-10-2006, 11:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

tom&barbara wrote:
Hiya folks,

I planted a honeysuckle back in very early spring and whilst it has
grown really well it is extremely leggy. It has just four stems and
each one is about 5-6ft in length. Can I cut it right back now and
will it grow much stronger? I'd like it to bush out more. I'm not
sure how old the plant is but I got it from a garden centre so I am
guessing it is maybe a year old??

Do you have a spring flowering one or summer flowering one? My spring
one got really ugly around August - it got terribly wet then very dry
and that did it for it and it was around 7 years old. I pruned it hard
late august and it sprouted again. Late flowering ones should be pruned
in spring. If you then keep pinching the tips, it will bush out.
However remember that the late flowering one flowers on previous year's
branches.