Old 20-06-2003, 06:44 PM
McBad

Default Honeysuckle - help please.

Can anyone help?

We have two honeysuckles, one on either side of our patio, growing on
trellis. One was here when we moved in two years ago, the other I put in
early last year. One grows from the ground, one is in a huge patio pot.

Last year both grew strongly through the spring and early summer, then
leaves started going yellow and brown and dropping off. This seems to
happen one shoot or branch at a time but within a couple of months we were
just looking at sticks...

This year the same looks as if it is about to happen. Both plants have
grown strongly until this last week but now I'm seeing yellowing and rusting
leaves and I guess that by the end of July both plants will appear dead..
Neither plant has shown any sign of flowering.

What should I do, or not do? Can this be cured / solved.

Thanks in advance,

Malcolm.

Old 20-06-2003, 08:56 PM
Chris Stewart

"McBad" wrote in message
[...]

Hi Malcolm,
I have had similar probs where the root run of my honeysuckle was in a "
rain shadow". Could it be that they aren't getting enough water at the
roots?? The end result for me was a fungal attack and loss of leaves. It
grew again the next year, and because I watered it a bit more, didn't seem
to have the same problems. This year, it's roots have spread far and wide -
healthy plant, no watering required.

Chris

Old 20-06-2003, 11:44 PM
McBad

"
rain shadow". Could it be that they aren't getting enough water at the
roots?? The end result for me was a fungal attack and loss of leaves. It
grew again the next year, and because I watered it a bit more, didn't seem
to have the same problems. This year, it's roots have spread far and

wide -
healthy plant, no watering required.

Chris

Hmmm, perhaps possible. I could certainly try watering a bit more - nothing
to loose!

M.

Old 21-06-2003, 06:44 PM
Charlie Pridham

"McBad" wrote in message
Hi Malcolm,
I have had similar probs where the root run of my honeysuckle was in

"
rain shadow". Could it be that they aren't getting enough water at the
roots?? The end result for me was a fungal attack and loss of leaves. It
grew again the next year, and because I watered it a bit more, didn't

seem
to have the same problems. This year, it's roots have spread far and

wide -
healthy plant, no watering required.

Chris

Hmmm, perhaps possible. I could certainly try watering a bit more -

nothing
to loose!

M.

Type of honeysuckle can also be a facter, some just don't like sunny
situations or dry (eg most L. japonica types) for those sorts of locations
choose L. etrusca or one of its hybrids L.x italica
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 22-06-2003, 09:48 AM
McBad

"McBad" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks Charlie. One faces east and gets little sunshine, the other faces
west and gets lots of sun during the summer months... Unfortunately I don't
know what varieties they are so it isn't really a controlled experiment!

Old 22-06-2003, 10:22 AM
Ophelia

"McBad" wrote in message

Thanks Charlie. One faces east and gets little sunshine, the other faces
west and gets lots of sun during the summer months... Unfortunately I

don't
know what varieties they are so it isn't really a controlled experiment!

My Honeysuckles are against the wall and get very little rain. Once a month
or so in summer I give them a very good soak with a hose. I might be told
his is not enough by the experts here but it seems to keep mine ok.

Btw note to the experts. I will take all the advice you care to give)

Ophelia