Old 24-10-2006, 08:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Green tomatoes

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

"Jim Jackson" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:
The ones from the greenhouse are in a basket gradually ripening, as I've
described elsewhere.

The ones from outside plants were left just one day too late and a very
cold
night damaged most of them. I preserved a lot but the rest were showing
patches of mould, some quite large.

So tonight's supper was egg, bacon, mushrooms and fried green tomatoes -
no
salt, no sugar, nothing else.

I've heard of this but never had the courage to do it. I thought Spouse
would protest too. But we both enjoyed them! I'll never waste any again!

Green Tomato Jam is also very nice. Dunno what prompted me to try - maybe
just a bad ripening year in the 90's, and a glut of them.

Recipe?

Please :-)

There is also Green Tomato Chutney.

Boring. And we don't eat much chutney anyway. This year I made some plum
chutney (to my own, unrepeatable :-( recipe) because a neighbour brought
stones of plums. It's great with a strong chees such as Quicke's Cheddar
or Lincolnshire Poacher.

The wife of a freind of mine gave me a recipe for banana chutney and it is
delicious!

Alan

Mary

Old 25-10-2006, 04:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Alan Holmes wrote:
[...]
The wife of a freind of mine gave me a recipe for banana chutney and it is
delicious!

Yes: it sounds like one of those half-aced things they put in to pad
out cookery books, but it's actually one of the best. Are your
ingredients anything like these?..

3 lb bananas
6 oz onion
4 oz sultanas
2 tsp curry powder; or garam masala+a pinch of ground fenugreek
6 oz white sugar
1 tsp salt
10 fl oz spiced vinegar. (It would keep better with double the vinegar,
but I think that might overpower the fruit.)

For some reason, bananas and ready-made curry powder (which I _don't_
use when making Indian-type food!) like one another: You can also dress
sliced bananas with a mixture of yogurt and mayo lightly flavoured with
curry powder.

--
Mike.