Old 19-10-2006, 02:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Anaconda tracks on the lawn...?

Now that the lawn is dewy in the morning, it is clear that some
creature wanders across it every night leaving behind a solid track
through the dew approx 6in wide. It does not follow the same route each
time and the line meanders but extends edge to edge across the lawn. No
sign of paw prints; no scrapings or excavations, no underground tunnels
- just contiguous tracks as might be made by a large snake. The garden
is surrounded by fields and no human beings go anywhere near the lawn
in the night - and rarely during the day. Answers on a postcard...
Old 19-10-2006, 07:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Stan The Man
writes
Now that the lawn is dewy in the morning, it is clear that some
creature wanders across it every night leaving behind a solid track
through the dew approx 6in wide. It does not follow the same route each
time and the line meanders but extends edge to edge across the lawn. No
sign of paw prints; no scrapings or excavations, no underground tunnels
- just contiguous tracks as might be made by a large snake. The garden
is surrounded by fields and no human beings go anywhere near the lawn
in the night - and rarely during the day. Answers on a postcard...

Hedgehog?
--
lancre dot net - The personal domain of Will and Cath Wilkinson.
Send e-mail to news dot will at lancre dot net
Old 19-10-2006, 09:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Stan The Man" wrote in message
In article , Will Wilkinson
wrote:

In message , Stan The Man
writes
Now that the lawn is dewy in the morning, it is clear that some
creature wanders across it every night leaving behind a solid track
through the dew approx 6in wide. It does not follow the same route each
time and the line meanders but extends edge to edge across the lawn. No
sign of paw prints; no scrapings or excavations, no underground tunnels
- just contiguous tracks as might be made by a large snake. The garden
is surrounded by fields and no human beings go anywhere near the lawn
in the night - and rarely during the day. Answers on a postcard...

Hedgehog?

I thought there was daylight under a hedgehog.

Not at night.

Steve

Old 19-10-2006, 10:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Now that the lawn is dewy in the morning, it is clear that some
creature wanders across it every night leaving behind a solid track
through the dew approx 6in wide. It does not follow the same route each
time and the line meanders but extends edge to edge across the lawn. No
sign of paw prints; no scrapings or excavations, no underground tunnels
- just contiguous tracks as might be made by a large snake. The garden
is surrounded by fields and no human beings go anywhere near the lawn
in the night - and rarely during the day. Answers on a postcard...
Hedgehog?

I thought there was daylight under a hedgehog.

Not at night.

My first thought was a hedgehog, we have tracks like that on our grass
but they do tend to go in straight lines, there is always a great deal
of hedgehog poo, messy little blighters :-)

kate
Old 19-10-2006, 10:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Will Wilkinson
wrote:

In message , Stan The Man
writes

Old 19-10-2006, 12:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Kate Morgan" wrote
My first thought was a hedgehog, we have tracks like that on our grass
but they do tend to go in straight lines, there is always a great deal
of hedgehog poo, messy little blighters :-)

I thought quite possibly hedgehog too.

When we find different sized mysterious tracks through the longish grass
at the bottem end of our garden on a dewy morning, we often wish we
could set up an infra-red camera overnight to see what wanders around
down there 'afer hours'.

--
Sue

Old 19-10-2006, 01:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Stan The Man
writes
http://www.yptenc.org.uk/docs/factsh...ldlife_id.html
suggests I should see footprints though on my short grass. Perhaps I've
got an overweight hedgehog with a low-slung belly.

How about a patch of damp sand somewhere the track is likely to go?

(Else wait for the snow...)

--
Klara, Gatwick basin

Old 19-10-2006, 08:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Stan The Man" wrote in message
Now that the lawn is dewy in the morning, it is clear that some
creature wanders across it every night leaving behind a solid track
through the dew approx 6in wide. It does not follow the same route each
time and the line meanders but extends edge to edge across the lawn. No
sign of paw prints; no scrapings or excavations, no underground tunnels
- just contiguous tracks as might be made by a large snake. The garden
is surrounded by fields and no human beings go anywhere near the lawn
in the night - and rarely during the day. Answers on a postcard...

what about a baseball rolling along the grass.................field of
dreams.

Old 19-10-2006, 10:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Stan The Man" wrote in message
Now that the lawn is dewy in the morning, it is clear that some
creature wanders across it every night leaving behind a solid track
through the dew approx 6in wide. It does not follow the same route each
time and the line meanders but extends edge to edge across the lawn. No
sign of paw prints; no scrapings or excavations, no underground tunnels
- just contiguous tracks as might be made by a large snake. The garden
is surrounded by fields and no human beings go anywhere near the lawn
in the night - and rarely during the day. Answers on a

postcard...

Possibly a rat?
Cheers Keith

Old 19-10-2006, 10:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Stan The Man wrote:
Now that the lawn is dewy in the morning, it is clear that some
creature wanders across it every night leaving behind a solid track
through the dew approx 6in wide. It does not follow the same route each
time and the line meanders but extends edge to edge across the lawn. No
sign of paw prints; no scrapings or excavations, no underground tunnels
- just contiguous tracks as might be made by a large snake. The garden
is surrounded by fields and no human beings go anywhere near the lawn
in the night - and rarely during the day. Answers on a postcard...

I get this on a regular basis. It is the postman.

Old 19-10-2006, 10:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"hen3ry" wrote in message
oups.com...

Stan The Man wrote:
Now that the lawn is dewy in the morning, it is clear that some
creature wanders across it every night leaving behind a solid track
through the dew approx 6in wide. It does not follow the same route each
time and the line meanders but extends edge to edge across the lawn. No
sign of paw prints; no scrapings or excavations, no underground tunnels
- just contiguous tracks as might be made by a large snake. The garden
is surrounded by fields and no human beings go anywhere near the lawn
in the night - and rarely during the day. Answers on a postcard...

I get this on a regular basis. It is the postman.

9 times out of 10 with junk mail :-(((

Mike

--
.................................................. .........
www.rnshipmates.co.uk

Old 20-10-2006, 12:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sue" wrote in message
When we find different sized mysterious tracks through the longish

grass
at the bottem end of our garden on a dewy morning, we often wish we
could set up an infra-red camera overnight to see what wanders

around
down there 'afer hours'.

:-)) Your post made me smile. I think in our case the animals should
the animals/birds/insects should set up a camera to see what the 2
legged animals do to disturb their garden in the daylight hours.

Old 20-10-2006, 01:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote

:-)) Your post made me smile. I think in our case the animals should
the animals/birds/insects should set up a camera to see what the 2
legged animals do to disturb their garden in the daylight hours.

Yes, they could show it on Fox TV! :-)

--
Sue