Old 24-10-2006, 01:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Need small ride on mower - Toro or Honda?

Hi,

I have about 1/2 acre of grass (I hesitate to call it lawn) with quite a few
flowerbeds. At the moment I use a 21" self propelled mower but am beginning
to find it a bit of a chore these days.

What I am looking for is a small ride on with the following properties:-

1. Easy to operate as my wife will likely be the main user. This means
hydrostatic or other auto drive.

2. Good mulching capability. I would expect mulching to be the norm with
only very occasional use of grass collection.

3. Reliable with easy servicing. I am an ex motor mechanic and would expect
to do my own servicing. £250 plus is a lot of money just to change the oil,
renew the filters and sharpen the blade. I have overhauled many B & S
engines but ever a Honda - perhaps this says something!

4. My budget is £1600 maximum.

I have done a fair amount of research and am currently looking at the
following two machines both of which have hydrostatic transmission and are
from respected manufacturers. I do realise, of course, that Toro and Honda
probably outsource the manufacturer of these smaller machines.

Honda HF 1211 H - This machine appears to meet my requirements. My only
reservation is in its mulching capabilities. The mulching kit seems to
comprise of just a bung in the grass collection shute. I would be very
interested in hearing from anyone who has this particular mower and how well
it mulches.

Toro H132 / 70186 - Again this machine appears to meet my requirements. This
is marketed as having "Recycler Technology" so may have better mulching
performance than the Honda above. I also like the fact that I have been
able to download the full owner and service manual for the Toro. Honda do
not appear to release this information on the internet. I would like to
hear from anyone who has had any experience with this.machine and also is
full service information provided.

Thanks

Dave

Old 24-10-2006, 03:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Scotch Whisky wrote:
Toro H132 / 70186 - Again this machine appears to meet my requirements. This
is marketed as having "Recycler Technology" so may have better mulching
performance than the Honda above. I also like the fact that I have been
able to download the full owner and service manual for the Toro. Honda do
not appear to release this information on the internet. I would like to
hear from anyone who has had any experience with this.machine and also is
full service information provided.

Thanks

Dave

Honda usually have downaloadable brochures etc for their engines but
you might have to search around on different sites, e.g. try the US one
instead of the UK one. I thinkk the engine stuff is at
www.hondaengines.com there might be a hypen in there. I have a honda
powered digger and a honda powered mower and both have been fine. What
particularly liek is that they can be started with a very light pull
but I suspect a ride-on would have electric start.

As for the mowers themselves I really don't know!

Old 24-10-2006, 04:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Scotch Whisky
wrote:

[...]

I haven't looked those machines up but I would be surprised to learn
that you can buy _any_ ride-on mulching mower for "under £1600" - and
especially one with hydrostatic transmission. When I was looking a
couple of years ago I bought the cheapest I could find which was the
Stiga Park Compact HST at £1700, but now nearer £2000 I suspect. It
meets all of your criteria and I would recommend it. The UK importers
were good enough to let me have their illustrated workshop manual which
is not usually supplied to consumers, so I have been able to change
belts, blades and other basic maintenance tasks without going to a
dealer.
Old 24-10-2006, 07:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hello,

I have a John Deere LT180, its an amazing mulching mower. I use it for
commercial sites and it always mulches with no problem. Only problem I
can see is the price but you could always try to find a good second
hand or demo machine.

Edd Smith

Old 25-10-2006, 08:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
6 6 is offline

[...]

Sir might look at
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MAESTRO-MULCHI...QQcmdZViewItem

Old 25-10-2006, 02:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sir might look at
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MAESTRO-MULCHI...QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks. Looks suitable for my needs.

Old 25-10-2006, 04:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Scotch Whisky
wrote:

Sir might look at

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MAESTRO-MULCHI...emZ13003944712
6QQihZ003QQcategoryZ50377QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQ cmdZViewItem

Thanks. Looks suitable for my needs.

It looks excellent value for money to me - even though neither I nor
Google can find another one anywhere in the world. Presumably it has a
gear shift rather than hydrostatic transmission though.
Old 29-10-2006, 04:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
6 6 is offline

"Scotch Whisky" wrote in message

Sir might look at
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MAESTRO-MULCHI...QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks. Looks suitable for my needs.

Well?

Didya geddit?

Lawn Mower Tractor dilemma ; TORO 16-38HXL or Yard-Man AN 5150K David Lawns 1 24-02-2005 05:51 PM
32" Toro Mower for Sale Barry Lawns 0 19-08-2004 05:23 PM
32" Toro Mower for Sale Barry Lawns 0 19-08-2004 05:23 PM
32" Toro Mower for Sale Barry Lawns 0 19-08-2004 05:23 PM
32" Toro Mower for Sale Barry Lawns 0 19-08-2004 05:23 PM