Old 31-10-2006, 05:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Unripe pears

"Broadback" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:
"michael adams" wrote in message
"Des Higgins" wrote in message
. ie...

You could always try storing some in a brown paper bag with
a ripening banana in a warm room, and see if the ethylene does
the trick. Ethylene is heavier than air, and so position the
banana(s) on top. Change (and eat) the banana(s) every few days
and check the pears.

I can't see the point of hurrying ripening of any fruit - it will happen

in
its own time, naturally!

Mary

Pears are ready to pick when you cup them in your had and lift the pear
to the horizontal, if it breaks away from the tree it is ready for
picking. Seems simple but it works for me.

Sorry my mistake. So that if the pears are left long enough on the tree,
no matter how long it takes, they will all ripen eventually, will they?

I only ask because I seem to have misunderstood the OP. I thought
he was saying that under the conditions in which he grows his pears,
some of them never seem to ripen. Whereas you're saying that left
long enough on the tree, they definitely will.

michael adams

Old 31-10-2006, 06:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Broadback writes
Mary Fisher wrote:
"michael adams" wrote in message
"Des Higgins" wrote in message
. ie...

You could always try storing some in a brown paper bag with
a ripening banana in a warm room, and see if the ethylene does
the trick. Ethylene is heavier than air, and so position the
banana(s) on top. Change (and eat) the banana(s) every few days
and check the pears.

I can't see the point of hurrying ripening of any fruit - it will
happen in its own time, naturally!
Mary

Pears are ready to pick when you cup them in your had and lift the pear
to the horizontal, if it breaks away from the tree it is ready for
picking. Seems simple but it works for me.

That works for apples, but if you leave pears until they are that ripe,
they go over very quickly.
--
Kay
Old 31-10-2006, 06:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

michael adams writes

"Broadback" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:
[...]

Doubt it. I don't think getting frosted does them much good.

--
Kay
Old 31-10-2006, 06:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"K" wrote in message
michael adams writes

"Broadback" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:
[...]

Nothing that a good dose of heavy irony won't cure though, I'd imagine.

michael adams

Kay

Old 31-10-2006, 08:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Des Higgins" wrote in message
"Broadback" wrote in message
Des Higgins wrote:
We have a pear tree and live in a cold damp wet country.
A small number of pears ripened this year and some continue to

ripen but
the great majority never ripen.
Anyone know what to do with them other than throw them over the

back wall
at our neighbours?
I heard someone mention poaching and storing unripe pears; anyone

know
how to do that?

I guess it depends on what you mean by unripe. When my pears a

ready for
picking they are still hard. A week to 10 days will ripen them, it

is
recommended that you wrap them in grease proof paper to keep them,

I don't
bother, I eat them too quickly. ;-)

ok, how do you know when to pick them?
Do you then just store them indoors or in a shed?
They are excellent when they do ripen and it is a nice tree.

Des, pears are one fruit which should never be left on the tree to
ripen as the core will go slimy and the rest of the pear will be
mealy. They should be picked when still hard but by looking at them
you know they will be ready soon - about 2 weks before full ripeness.
Don't rely on the colour as being an indication fo when to pick. The
first thing is to see if the pear will pick easily - pick up the pear
and see if it will twist of easily. The other thing is that the flesh
on a sacrificial pear willb e juicy but soemwhat edible if still hard.
Kepp thenm in a warm room and check them for eating after about a week
or as you feel fit. Youc an pick them in small batches to test them
for a few years to get you eye and senses in.

Old 01-11-2006, 12:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Des,
Just as apples have a season so do pears. There are some that you pick
and will be ripe in Jan. For instance:-

Cultivar Season
Le Lectier Dec-Jan
Forell Nov-Jan

The large Black Worcester season in Dec - Apr

The timing of picking pears is important, too early and they shrivel,
too late and they rot from the core.

Look for colour changes in the fruit and test if it is ready for
picking bu cuping your hand around the pear and lifting with a slight
twist. If it comes off, ready for picking. Store in a cool, dark
place. You will need to check them regularly. Most will change colour
as they ripen.

Whilst you can poach pears (or peel, quarter, core and roast with
vegies) keeps some and see when they ripen, because they should.

Clifford
Bawtry, Doncaster, South Yorkshire

Old 01-11-2006, 07:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Des
Higgins writes
We have a pear tree and live in a cold damp wet country.
A small number of pears ripened this year and some continue to ripen but the
great majority never ripen.
Anyone know what to do with them other than throw them over the back wall at
our neighbours?
I heard someone mention poaching and storing unripe pears; anyone know how
to do that?

Peel, slice, put in pan with a little water and sugar. Simmer until
tender. Freeze in manageable batches.
--
June Hughes