Old 03-11-2006, 07:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Butternut squash.

The message
from "Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)" contains these words:

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

"sam" wrote in message
om...
I cleared the butternut squashes from the garden this morning.
Last year I was given two seedlings by my neighbour, and as
the plants grew they rampaged all over the place.
This year I erected a frame and they grew up it, using much
less ground space.

In the open?

Where are you? I'd like to try next year.

Mary

I normally grow ornamental gourds which look superb but this year I also
tried butternut squash. Dismal results,however, my sister who only lives up
the road had a superb crop. Methinks that there are many varieties of
seeds?
Until recently the consensus of opinion was that it was impossible to get
them to crop oop North.

There are some offered as quicker to mature and therefore not needing
warmth for quite such a long season, e.g. 'Butternut Sprinter'. I grew
three different types this year: straightforward Butternut, Butternut
Sprinter and Waltham Butterut. They all seemed to do quite well but
ended up in a glorious tangle so I never got round to sorting out which
plant had done best.

I shall resolve to keep better tabs on their relative performance next year.

Janet G
Old 03-11-2006, 07:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Galpin" wrote in message

Until recently the consensus of opinion was that it was impossible to get
them to crop oop North.

Not so.

There are some offered as quicker to mature and therefore not needing
warmth for quite such a long season, e.g. 'Butternut Sprinter'. I grew
three different types this year: straightforward Butternut, Butternut
Sprinter and Waltham Butterut. They all seemed to do quite well but
ended up in a glorious tangle so I never got round to sorting out which
plant had done best.

LOL!

I shall resolve to keep better tabs on their relative performance next
year.

sigh

I make such resolutions too :-(

This year I labelled all the lilies in a tub so that if I chose to move them
I'd know which was which.

The hens have scratched all of them into an unidentifiable heap!

Mary

Old 08-11-2006, 09:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"johnsheppard" wrote in message

Mary

On keeping; I grow 6 - plants each year here on the Isle of Wight.
Last year we harvested 92, this year about 50.
The spares were put in the loft and we just used one from remaining
last year, 13 months after harvest. It was perfect.
John.

After tonight's meal I'm determined to grow squash next year - although we
haven't enough garden for that lot!

Following HFW I cut a lid off a small one, removed the seeds, put some
shards of cheese in the cavity and filled it with double cream seasoned with
pepper and a star anise (he suggested nutmeg but I couldn't find it). Lid
replaced and baked.

It was fabulous! Stringy sauce ladled out, soft flesh ... drool

We had it with baked ram chops, kale and jacket potatoes but the squash was
the highlight!

Mary
the diet begins tomorrow

Old 08-11-2006, 09:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

johnsheppard wrote:
On keeping; I grow 6 - plants each year here on the Isle of Wight.
Last year we harvested 92, this year about 50.

Wow, even the smaller number works out at over eight fruits per plant!
I know that some of that is going to be down to the extended season and
warmer weather in the south, but still… Did you do anything special in
the way of feeding? How big did you let the plants grow?

Rhiannon