Old 02-11-2006, 06:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Large stones in the garden, good or bad?

I've got some large stones in my garden, some small ones too. I
arranged them into a small dry stone wall about 6 feet wide and 2 feet
high. I noticed that wood lice and slugs had made their home under the
stones and wonder if this is good for the garden, ie: slugs and tomato
plants don't mix. We have a wren in the garden and notice that they
like dry stone walls, so is it a choice between having a wren, wood
lice and slugs, or nothing. What's the best thing to do with garden
stones?

Old 03-11-2006, 08:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Nov 2, 7:32 pm, "computar2006" wrote:
I've got some large stones in my garden, some small ones too. I
arranged them into a small dry stone wall about 6 feet wide and 2 feet
high. I noticed that wood lice and slugs had made their home under the
stones and wonder if this is good for the garden, ie: slugs and tomato
plants don't mix. We have a wren in the garden and notice that they
like dry stone walls, so is it a choice between having a wren, wood
lice and slugs, or nothing. What's the best thing to do with garden
stones?

Well if it attracts things like slugs, then it will attract their
predators to the garden, birds, frogs and toads, also useful garden
insects will also use it to hide.

Old 03-11-2006, 11:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mike in Spain" wrote in message
ups.com...

On Nov 2, 7:32 pm, "computar2006" wrote:
I've got some large stones in my garden, some small ones too. I
arranged them into a small dry stone wall about 6 feet wide and 2 feet
high. I noticed that wood lice and slugs had made their home under the
stones and wonder if this is good for the garden, ie: slugs and tomato
plants don't mix. We have a wren in the garden and notice that they
like dry stone walls, so is it a choice between having a wren, wood
lice and slugs, or nothing. What's the best thing to do with garden
stones?

Well if it attracts things like slugs, then it will attract their
predators to the garden, birds, frogs and toads, also useful garden
insects will also use it to hide.

I agree. The wall sounds nice. Woodlice are completely harmless anyway and
slugs are only a problem when they eat yer veg.
You might as well concentrate them in one place where the birds can easily
find them.
Even without the wall, you will have zillions of slugs anyway.

Des in Slug City, Arizona, near Dublin

Old 03-11-2006, 06:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thanks all. The stones look nice and yes there are zillions of slugs
anyway and I like predators coming to my garden, so a drystone wall it
is.