Old 14-11-2006, 05:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Another sorbus

This is another sorbus different to the last one. Again it is a street tree.

The leaves are odd. Overall they give the impression of being conical but
they start with three pairs of compound leaflets followed by a conical
entire section of leaf which has indentations.

THe berries are larger and fewer than a rowan and more in the manner of a
whitebeam.

It gives the impression of some kind of rowan Whitebeam cross but who knows.

Does anyone know what tree this is?

Neil Jones
http://www.butterflyguy.com/
Old 14-11-2006, 05:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Neil Jones writes

This is another sorbus different to the last one. Again it is a street tree.

The leaves are odd. Overall they give the impression of being conical but
they start with three pairs of compound leaflets followed by a conical
entire section of leaf which has indentations.

THe berries are larger and fewer than a rowan and more in the manner of a
whitebeam.

It gives the impression of some kind of rowan Whitebeam cross but who knows.

Does anyone know what tree this is?

Very much from memory - I'll leave others to fill in details, or you to
Google.

Sorbus is roughly divided into Whitebeams, Rowans, and Service Tree.
There is the true Wild Service Tree, which is uncommon, and there is a
'false' service tree, which I think is a hybrid, which IIRC has the
leaves you describe.
--
Kay
Old 14-11-2006, 06:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

K wrote:

Neil Jones writes

[...]

It is actually called a ******* Service Treee. I googled some more after my
original posting and found a picture. It is actually a hybrid beetween the
common whitebeam and the Rowan.

Neil Jones
http://www.butterflyguy.com/

Old 14-11-2006, 06:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , K
writes
Neil Jones writes

This is another sorbus different to the last one. Again it is a street tree.

The leaves are odd. Overall they give the impression of being conical but
they start with three pairs of compound leaflets followed by a conical
entire section of leaf which has indentations.

I'd assume the conical appearance is a result of stress, and not the
normal state.

THe berries are larger and fewer than a rowan and more in the manner of a
whitebeam.

It gives the impression of some kind of rowan Whitebeam cross but who knows.

Does anyone know what tree this is?

Very much from memory - I'll leave others to fill in details, or you to
Google.

Sorbus is roughly divided into Whitebeams, Rowans, and Service Tree.
There is the true Wild Service Tree, which is uncommon, and there is a
'false' service tree, which I think is a hybrid, which IIRC has the
leaves you describe.

******* Service Tree, Sorbus x thuringiaca, which is a hybrid between
the Rowan, Sorbus aucuparia, and the Whitebeam, Sorbus aria. There's all
sorts of hybrid Sorbus, but I don't know of any others with this form of
leaf.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 14-11-2006, 07:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

snip

I would like a young Rowan with red berries but I cannot find one
locally or rather the ones I have found seem to be rather poor
specimens, maybe I will have to buy online.

kate
gloucestershire

Old 14-11-2006, 09:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Neil Jones wrote:

This is another sorbus different to the last one. Again it is a street tree.

The leaves are odd. Overall they give the impression of being conical but
they start with three pairs of compound leaflets followed by a conical
entire section of leaf which has indentations.

THe berries are larger and fewer than a rowan and more in the manner of a
whitebeam.

It gives the impression of some kind of rowan Whitebeam cross but who knows.

Does anyone know what tree this is?

Neil Jones
http://www.butterflyguy.com/

Sorbus forms a series of 'microspecies' in the UK, with limited to very
limited natural distributions, although several have been propogated and
made available commercially.

Bristol University Botanic Garden has a particular interest due to the
presence of several sorbus species in the Avon Gorge. For the millenium,
they propogated and sold a limited number of sorbus species to alumni. I
bought a sorbus bristoliensis and sorbus wilmotiana, both of which only
occur naturally in the Avon Gorge.
--
Larry Stoter