Old 18-11-2006, 03:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Suggestions please - vacant wall

As some of you know, if you can grow it and eat it, I will have a go.

Picking edible outdoor figs and kiwi fruits on Nov 15 - amazing.

Anyway, my Jerusalem Artichokes have been expelled from the walled garden
for indiscipline, and Mrs Pat has banned me from growing anything quite so
likely to fall all over the path and drip all over her.

So I have a piece of wall 6' high and 3'6'' wide available, wired and ready.
Alas, it is north facing and not big enough for the usual damsons, acid
cherries, blackberries etc.

Needs to be something that likes a wall, but does not need to much sun and
is not too big....and is edible

Any ideas anyone?

--
Regards
Pat Gardiner

Old 20-11-2006, 06:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pat Gardiner" wrote in message
As some of you know, if you can grow it and eat it, I will have a go.

Picking edible outdoor figs and kiwi fruits on Nov 15 - amazing.

Anyway, my Jerusalem Artichokes have been expelled from the walled garden
for indiscipline, and Mrs Pat has banned me from growing anything quite so
likely to fall all over the path and drip all over her.

So I have a piece of wall 6' high and 3'6'' wide available, wired and
ready. Alas, it is north facing and not big enough for the usual damsons,
acid cherries, blackberries etc.

Needs to be something that likes a wall, but does not need to much sun and
is not too big....and is edible

Any ideas anyone?

Does nobody have any idea?

I know it is difficult, but there must be something. Nature abhors a vacuum.

--
Regards
Pat Gardiner

Old 21-11-2006, 08:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

Well Holboellia will grow there and has edible fruit, but I have to say you
can get old waiting for them as it seldom sets fruit in the UK. What about
Lapageria? needs acid soil, and whether I could bring myself to eat the
edible fruit knowing their worth I am not sure!

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 21-11-2006, 10:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks for that. I was unfamiliar with both, but on checking the Holboellia
seems too tender for the site - and some varieties get too large - the
Lapageria would not like my soil or water supply. (I do grow both
Blueberries and Cranberries but on imported soil and special rainwater
supply. This site is too far away from a lime free supply.

Thanks anyway. Back to the drawing board.

--
Regards
Pat Gardiner

Old 21-11-2006, 03:43 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

[quote=Charlie PridhamWhat about
Lapageria? needs acid soil, and whether I could bring myself to eat the
edible fruit knowing their worth I am not sure![/QUOTE]
You need cross-pollination for Lapagaria fruit, and in the absence of suitable hummingbirds you'll have to do it yourself. I have eaten wild-gathered Lapageria fruit in Chile, and they are tasty, rather like cherimoya/custard apple, but much smaller and a bit gritty. Unfortunately no one has ever gone out and selected them for edibility. You could keep them in large pots and let them grow up the wall - that is what I am (trying to) do. I appreciate the point about collecting enough rainwater to irrigate all of ones blueberries, rhodies, proteas, etc. But I don't find my lapageria, its pot being in a shady place, needs as much water as many of the rest.

I have a couple of Chaenomeles growing on a north-facing fence and they fruit fine - that edible enough for you?