Old 18-11-2006, 08:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
sam sam is offline

Default Oysters acknowledged.

Thanks for you welcome advice.
My wife has just finished mixing the Christmas puddings
and there is half a bottle of Guiness left over.
(No, I'm not OFF TOPIC)
So either my slugs will die laughing,or they will have
the biggest muscles in the world.

Sam.
Old 18-11-2006, 09:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , sam
writes
Thanks for you welcome advice.
My wife has just finished mixing the Christmas puddings
and there is half a bottle of Guiness left over.
(No, I'm not OFF TOPIC)
So either my slugs will die laughing,or they will have
the biggest muscles in the world.

The only problem is, you only catch a few that way. If you are really
sadistic, you could pour salt on the ones you catch. The next morning,
they will be like little strips of leather. Of course, if you don't
want to waste the Guinness, you could always use lager. I have tried
many ways of eradicating the slugs in my garden without success.
(Barnsdale Gardens have organic slug pellets, which look interesting but
I haven't tried them yet).
--
June Hughes
Old 18-11-2006, 10:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

June Hughes wrote:
In message , sam
writes
Thanks for you welcome advice.
My wife has just finished mixing the Christmas puddings
and there is half a bottle of Guiness left over.
(No, I'm not OFF TOPIC)
So either my slugs will die laughing,or they will have
the biggest muscles in the world.

The only problem is, you only catch a few that way. If you are really
sadistic, you could pour salt on the ones you catch. The next morning,
they will be like little strips of leather. Of course, if you don't
want to waste the Guinness, you could always use lager. I have tried
many ways of eradicating the slugs in my garden without success.
(Barnsdale Gardens have organic slug pellets, which look interesting but
I haven't tried them yet).

I don't think it has to be beer: I believe water flavoured with jam
will do as well -- but if you leave that for a day or so it'll ferment
a bit anyway. Presumably a weak sugar solution would work too, but I
haven't tried it. You need to cover them to keep other creatures out,
by the way -- we don't want too many drunken rats and hedgehogs around
the place.

--
Mike.

Old 18-11-2006, 10:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Mike Lyle wrote:

I don't think it has to be beer: I believe water flavoured with jam
will do as well -- but if you leave that for a day or so it'll ferment
a bit anyway. Presumably a weak sugar solution would work too, but I
haven't tried it. You need to cover them to keep other creatures out,
by the way -- we don't want too many drunken rats and hedgehogs around
the place.

Mike you would not believe the drunk rats that are leaping around my
linen line in the garden. They are so drunk, I called in the
exterminators, I do wish they had not come in a van marked vermin
control, what do the neighbours think, I worried.

It appears, so the rat man told me, that it is the apples from the
trees that do it, so I have been picking up all the ones which came
down in the wind. When I went to hang out the linen ,I promise you,
they came to within a few feet of me, 4 of them, I was rooted to the
spot, Edward appeared at the landing window with the shotgun, pointing
at them, I screamed, no, you haven't got your specs on, to which he
replied "don't be silly, I'm just adjusting the aim, now go inside
before I start shooting". Go inside? how could I with an army of rats
between me and the house. Well aimed y fronts got rid of them.

Old 18-11-2006, 11:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message .com, Mike
Lyle writes

June Hughes wrote:
In message , sam
writes
[...]

I use a dog-bowl with a slate on top then a brick. Just the job and the
dog can't get at it.
--
June Hughes

Old 18-11-2006, 11:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message .com,
judith lea writes

Mike Lyle wrote:

[...]

Apples, eh? Oh Blimey - we have hundreds of windfalls but there is no
way I am going out there in this cold. They will have to wait until
morning. I usually pick and freeze them but with one thing and another,
I have only used a few this year.
--
June Hughes
Old 19-11-2006, 07:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

writes
Thanks for you welcome advice.
My wife has just finished mixing the Christmas puddings
and there is half a bottle of Guiness left over.
(No, I'm not OFF TOPIC)
So either my slugs will die laughing,or they will have
the biggest muscles in the world.

The only problem is, you only catch a few that way. I have tried many
ways of eradicating the slugs in my garden without success. (Barnsdale
Gardens have organic slug pellets, which look interesting but I haven't
tried them yet).
--
June Hughes

I think I posted this tip on getting rid of slugs here some years ago,
anyway, Buy a packet of lettuce seed and sprinkle next door! Watch 'em go!

Old 19-11-2006, 09:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Jim
Paterson writes

writes
Thanks for you welcome advice.
My wife has just finished mixing the Christmas puddings
and there is half a bottle of Guiness left over.
(No, I'm not OFF TOPIC)
So either my slugs will die laughing,or they will have
the biggest muscles in the world.

The only problem is, you only catch a few that way. I have tried many
ways of eradicating the slugs in my garden without success. (Barnsdale
Gardens have organic slug pellets, which look interesting but I haven't
tried them yet).
--
June Hughes

I think I posted this tip on getting rid of slugs here some years ago,
anyway, Buy a packet of lettuce seed and sprinkle next door! Watch 'em go!

What did the neighbours say?
--
June Hughes
Old 19-11-2006, 10:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"June Hughes" wrote in message
In message .com, judith
lea writes

Mike Lyle wrote:

[...]

I've never seen windfall apples as a problem, but you have me worried now,
I've always assumed that the holes in them were caused by the birds.

Alan

--
June Hughes

Old 19-11-2006, 11:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I think I posted this tip on getting rid of slugs here some years ago,
anyway, Buy a packet of lettuce seed and sprinkle next door! Watch 'em go!

What did the neighbours say?
--
June Hughes

I didn't hang around to find out!