Old 18-11-2006, 10:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Brrrrrr

2C right now at 10.30pm and the automatic heating has started up in the
greenhouses. It's a very cold night indeed.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 18-11-2006, 10:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:
2C right now at 10.30pm and the automatic heating has started up in the
greenhouses. It's a very cold night indeed.
--
Sacha

Edward has just gone to lock up and said it will be 6 degress under
tonight. We went out to dinner last night and the rain was so bad that
there was an awful accident on the Southern bypass because of the rain
and wet leaves which meant the taxi had to find an alternative route
home.

I have stuff in the greenhouse which I would like some advice on so I
will start a new thread, but maybe in the morning as I am told that
wine on the keyboard is not a good idea.

Judith

Old 18-11-2006, 10:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Yup!

Visited my dad this afternoon who had planned to lift his dahlia tubers but
felt too tired. Insisted I did the digging for him. Took me just a little
while (bit younger and fitter).

So pleased as they are now lifted and drying in a more appropriate
environment than frozen/frosty ground!.

--
I smile and go off waving
(Amiably) - for that's my way

Baal

http://www.helden.org.uk

Old 18-11-2006, 10:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Baal wrote:

Visited my dad this afternoon who had planned to lift his dahlia tubers but
felt too tired. Insisted I did the digging for him. Took me just a little
while (bit younger and fitter).

So pleased as they are now lifted and drying in a more appropriate
environment than frozen/frosty ground!.

Baal, why do you lift them? I have a lot of Dahlia and when I planted
them I put them in deeper than recommended on a thin bed of sand and
despite dreadful East of England winters they survive.

Old 18-11-2006, 11:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"judith lea" wrote in message
ups.com...

Baal wrote:

Visited my dad this afternoon who had planned to lift his dahlia tubers
but
felt too tired. Insisted I did the digging for him. Took me just a
little
while (bit younger and fitter).

So pleased as they are now lifted and drying in a more appropriate
environment than frozen/frosty ground!.

Baal, why do you lift them? I have a lot of Dahlia and when I planted
them I put them in deeper than recommended on a thin bed of sand and
despite dreadful East of England winters they survive.

41 F. up here in the balmy North as we speak.
Fortunate as my kero heater is kaput !

Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 18-11-2006, 11:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
2C right now at 10.30pm and the automatic heating has started up in the
greenhouses. It's a very cold night indeed.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
http://www.discoverdartmoor.co.uk/

Serves you right for living down there. It's just a bit warmer up here.
It's only a few more weeks before you state that your Akebia is about to
strut it's stuff :-)
Glad to see you back--I need a whipping boy/girl /thingy.

Old 18-11-2006, 11:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"judith lea" wrote in message
ups.com...

Baal wrote:

Visited my dad this afternoon who had planned to lift his dahlia tubers
but
felt too tired. Insisted I did the digging for him. Took me just a
little
while (bit younger and fitter).

So pleased as they are now lifted and drying in a more appropriate
environment than frozen/frosty ground!.

Baal, why do you lift them? I have a lot of Dahlia and when I planted
them I put them in deeper than recommended on a thin bed of sand and
despite dreadful East of England winters they survive.

Yes -the good drainage bit is the solution to overwinter "so called" tender
exotics. Dahlias-Canna-Gingers etc. Dahlias are fine but the rest will be
slow to start growth around this area and will consequently flower very
late.
I am amazed at the sort of stuff that people are planting and successfully
overwintering. Less than half a mile from me a chap has a banana (basjoo)
still blasting out new leaves despite the odd sub zero evening.
Cacti seem to be the latest craze amongst the exotic crowd--big "sod off"
things that grow well in 90% grit and 10% rubbish soil.
Sorry about that quick ramble but Drainage is the answer to many
overwintering problems.

Old 19-11-2006, 12:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote
2C right now at 10.30pm and the automatic heating has started up in the
greenhouses. It's a very cold night indeed.

Yes, I noticed when we just drove home. Unfortunately I haven't put Sue's
Citrus trees inside yet, hope they will be OK, wouldn't want to lose all the
fruit let alone the trees.

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 19-11-2006, 06:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bob Hobden wrote:

"Sacha" wrote
2C right now at 10.30pm and the automatic heating has started up in the
greenhouses. It's a very cold night indeed.

Yes, I noticed when we just drove home. Unfortunately I haven't put Sue's
Citrus trees inside yet, hope they will be OK, wouldn't want to lose all the
fruit let alone the trees.

--
Regards
Bob H
17mls W. of London.UK

He he.. he says after a nice sunny day with the temp over 70, but it
does get cold, around 12 degrees at night :-p

Old 19-11-2006, 07:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18/11/06 23:38, in article , "Rupert (W.Yorkshire)"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
2C right now at 10.30pm and the automatic heating has started up in the
greenhouses. It's a very cold night indeed.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
http://www.discoverdartmoor.co.uk/

Serves you right for living down there. It's just a bit warmer up here.
It's only a few more weeks before you state that your Akebia is about to
strut it's stuff :-)

Oh dear - that was one of my better moments! But if it's any comfort to
you, about 10 days ago the Rosa banksiae lutea was in flower - and not just
one or two, either. I'm waiting to see what made it through last night.

Glad to see you back--I need a whipping boy/girl /thingy.

1. Thank you. 2. Look elsehwere!

Old 19-11-2006, 08:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message .com, Mike
in Spain writes

Bob Hobden wrote:

"Sacha" wrote
2C right now at 10.30pm and the automatic heating has started up in the
greenhouses. It's a very cold night indeed.

Yes, I noticed when we just drove home. Unfortunately I haven't put Sue's
Citrus trees inside yet, hope they will be OK, wouldn't want to lose all the
fruit let alone the trees.

--
Regards
Bob H
17mls W. of London.UK

He he.. he says after a nice sunny day with the temp over 70, but it
does get cold, around 12 degrees at night :-p

Lucky you, Mike. Are you now all settled in?
--
June Hughes

Old 19-11-2006, 08:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message -hctertsdd, David D
Stretch writes
On Saturday 18 Nov 2006 23:30, Peter Stockdale
) wrote:

41 F. up here in the balmy North as we speak.
Fortunate as my kero heater is kaput !

It is 3 C here in Stoke-on-Trent. Just under a week ago, we collected the
last of the green beans growing outside. They looked a little worse for
wear, but still were all right eating. The variety is one you can't buy in
the UK - we bought a couple of packets of them in China, and I was assured
that they could tolerate cold weather. They taste like a much more tender
and delicate version of French beans.

The thermometer says it dropped to 2 degrees here but it seemed a lot
colder than that and there is frost on the rooftops and cars. I still
can't find my aloe vera but reckon it must have expired by now.
--
June Hughes
Old 19-11-2006, 12:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Sacha
writes
2C right now at 10.30pm and the automatic heating has started up in the
greenhouses. It's a very cold night indeed.

It was 2degrees at 9am here! Think it's feeling colder because it is
still so damp from the rain the other day. Brother and partner running
in the Herbert's Hole race this morning, travelled up from Brighton to
do so. Mad devils. They could be out helping me seep up the leaves, but
no they prefer to run through mud instead.
Funny how being gardener you accept conditions that others falter when
faced.
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph