Old 19-11-2006, 03:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Marks & Spencer Live Christmas Tree - How to Car For

I have bought an M & S "Musical Advent Gift Bag" containing a live tree
about 8" tall. The one I bought last year died so I would appreciate any
advice on how to care for the tree. I would eventually like to put the tree
in the garden.

Old 19-11-2006, 04:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

M wrote:
I have bought an M & S "Musical Advent Gift Bag" containing a live tree
about 8" tall. The one I bought last year died so I would appreciate any
advice on how to care for the tree. I would eventually like to put the tree
in the garden.

Just up the road from my house, the Christmas trees from a very large
estate are felled yearly - they wre felled 2-3 weeks ago and are all
covered in mesh things, hundreds and hundreds of them stacked and
ready for sending to retailers. These will certainly drop their
needles before Christmas.

The ones that have still got their roots attached are also stacked so
the drying process has already begun so if you buy one in 4 weeks time
it will have taken quite a battering. I have managed to plant, in my
last house, two bare rooted trees. As soon as I got them, I put them
into the greenhouse in a bucket of water for several days before I
planted them, in soil, for bringing indoors - they survived but I have
done this to countless other Chriasmas trees and they did not survive.

Good luck

Old 19-11-2006, 06:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"M" wrote in message
I have bought an M & S "Musical Advent Gift Bag" containing a live tree
about 8" tall. The one I bought last year died so I would appreciate any
advice on how to care for the tree. I would eventually like to put the
tree in the garden.

Whatever else you do to it, two weeks indoors will drastically cut it's
chances of survival.

Old 19-11-2006, 08:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Russel Sprout" wrote in message

"M" wrote in message
I have bought an M & S "Musical Advent Gift Bag" containing a live tree
about 8" tall. The one I bought last year died so I would appreciate any
advice on how to care for the tree. I would eventually like to put the
tree in the garden.

Whatever else you do to it, two weeks indoors will drastically cut it's
chances of survival.

I've heard it said a Christmas tree indoors in a centrally heated house
needs a gallon of water per day to survive. I would put it in a container
which you can give this amount of water without it going all over the floor.

Steve

Old 20-11-2006, 05:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"M" wrote in message
I have bought an M & S "Musical Advent Gift Bag" containing a live tree
about 8" tall. The one I bought last year died so I would appreciate any
advice on how to care for the tree. I would eventually like to put the
tree in the garden.

Whatever else you do to it, two weeks indoors will drastically cut it's
chances of survival.

I've heard it said a Christmas tree indoors in a centrally heated house
needs a gallon of water per day to survive. I would put it in a container
which you can give this amount of water without it going all over the
floor.
Steve

blub blub bluub !
A gallon for an 8" tree :~))))))

BBC has some good advice ;
http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/plant...xmastree.shtml

But the chances of success are slim. The variation in temperature between
indoors and out is huge.

jenny

Old 20-11-2006, 02:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"M" wrote in message
I have bought an M & S "Musical Advent Gift Bag" containing a live tree
about 8" tall. The one I bought last year died so I would appreciate
any advice on how to care for the tree. I would eventually like to put
the tree in the garden.

Whatever else you do to it, two weeks indoors will drastically cut it's
chances of survival.

I've heard it said a Christmas tree indoors in a centrally heated house
needs a gallon of water per day to survive. I would put it in a container
which you can give this amount of water without it going all over the
floor.
Steve

blub blub bluub !
A gallon for an 8" tree :~))))))

Inches? Inches? That's not a tree, it's barely even a seedling.

But yes, I missed that. :-}

Steve

Old 20-11-2006, 02:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin wrote:
"Abies koreana - grows to 12m (40ft) and therefore more suitable for the
smaller garden." LOL!!!!!!

)) Should have said 'more suitable of the "ordinary" smaller garden
....'. Honestly...

This year we will have twigs as a xmas tree, the amelanchier of a
friend which overnight died this summer (the tree not the friend).
Still haven't found out why the tree died, but then again my friend has
a jungle and you wouldn't know it's not there anymore. These trees are
so beautiful, I've got one facing my front door, and are quite robust
in general. I thought.