Old 20-11-2006, 08:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Greenhouse advice needed

Hi
Im planning my first greenhouse, got space for an 8 x 6 with one end against
the house wall. Problem is there are so many to choose from, does anyone
have any advice for a beginner? Roof vents, louvres, etc are they worth
having?

Martin

Old 20-11-2006, 09:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin W" wrote in message
Hi
Im planning my first greenhouse, got space for an 8 x 6 with one end
against
the house wall. Problem is there are so many to choose from, does anyone
have any advice for a beginner? Roof vents, louvres, etc are they worth
having?

Roof vents certainly are, especially the automatic type. I would arrange it
so that the roof vent(s) is on the side away from the prevailing wind, so
the wind doesn't get under it.

Also try to arrange the greenhouse so that rainwater falling on it comes off
at the end which suits you. Best to do this before putting the glass in.

Steve

Old 20-11-2006, 11:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"shazzbat" wrote in message

Roof vents certainly are, especially the automatic type. I would arrange
it so that the roof vent(s) is on the side away from the prevailing wind,
so the wind doesn't get under it.

Also try to arrange the greenhouse so that rainwater falling on it comes
off at the end which suits you. Best to do this before putting the glass
in.

Steve

You may benefit from reading a book or two on the subject as there are too
many points that can be constructively covered here.
Greenhouse Gardener by David Shelton is one such publication.

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 20-11-2006, 11:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin W" wrote
Im planning my first greenhouse, got space for an 8 x 6 with one end
against
the house wall. Problem is there are so many to choose from, does anyone
have any advice for a beginner? Roof vents, louvres, etc are they worth
having?

Depends what you want to grow, for tomatoes etc it would be best to have
automatic roof vents and an automatic louver vent at the bottom so that the
hot air can funnel out the top and at the same time suck cool air in the
bottom thus giving a good throughput of air to cool the house. I mention
automatic as if the sun comes out when you are not around the temperature in
your greenhouse will rise alarmingly without you being there to open the
vents/door.

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 21-11-2006, 05:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin W" wrote in message
Hi
Im planning my first greenhouse, got space for an 8 x 6 with one end
against
the house wall. Problem is there are so many to choose from, does anyone
have any advice for a beginner? Roof vents, louvres, etc are they worth
having?
Martin

Vents and louvres are a good idea as it will get too hot otherwise. The
automatic ones are best.
I presume you are getting a lean too type?
Will the house wall retain heat? (mine does!)
Jenny
http://www.ljconline.nl/garden/indexgarden.htm

Old 21-11-2006, 08:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"JennyC" wrote in message

"Martin W" wrote in message
Hi
Im planning my first greenhouse, got space for an 8 x 6 with one end
against
the house wall. Problem is there are so many to choose from, does anyone
have any advice for a beginner? Roof vents, louvres, etc are they worth
having?
Martin

Vents and louvres are a good idea as it will get too hot otherwise. The
automatic ones are best.
I presume you are getting a lean too type?
Will the house wall retain heat? (mine does!)
Jenny
http://www.ljconline.nl/garden/indexgarden.htm

Cant fit a lean to as I have to avoid a boiler vent. Have been looking at a
few models and the Elite Craftsman dosent look bad. Am thinking of having 1
louvre and 1 roof vent possibly 1 at each end of the house. The wall is
south facing so should be quite warm. A friend at work said the best way of
heating would be to run a radiator through the outside wall but I think I'll
manage with something electric. Currently thinking of tomatoes, peppers for
a crop (Im up North in Lancashire so they dont do too well outside) and for
sowing seeds earlier.
Thanks for your replies

Martin

Old 22-11-2006, 05:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin W" wrote
Cant fit a lean to as I have to avoid a boiler vent.

My lean to had to fit around a chimney breast, so was tailored to fit. It
was more expensive than an of the shelf model, but fits in well. Maybe you
could extend the vent upwards and fit around it ??

Have been looking at a
few models and the Elite Craftsman dosent look bad. Am thinking of having
1
louvre and 1 roof vent possibly 1 at each end of the house. The wall is
south facing so should be quite warm. A friend at work said the best way
of
heating would be to run a radiator through the outside wall but I think
I'll
manage with something electric.

A small electric heater to keep it frost free and some bubble wrap is what I
use :~)
Something like one of these:
http://www.garden4less.co.uk/greenhouse-heaters.asp
Jenny