Old 16-04-2003, 12:44 AM
DaveA

Default Spider plants

My wife who was an avid gardener recently passed away. Im pretty
hopless on all gardening matters,so you might start to get a lot of
questions from me on this group. Anyway my 1st isnt to do with garden
plants but house plants. Years ago my wife attended a well known
stately home and sneakly took a cutting off a spider plant. This soon
grew into a fantastic plant but when she got ill i stupidly fogot to
water it so it dried up. So months later in memory of her i got
another cutting from the same plant,but how do i grow it. For now ive
left it in water overnight as it seems to have a few very small greeny
roots. Should i put it in compost in a pot and if so do i need rooting
compound. Thanks Dave... Oh by the way a friend tells me i can buy a
rose called Angie/Angela is this true and when would it be
available???
Old 16-04-2003, 09:08 PM
Drakanthus

My wife who was an avid gardener recently passed away. Im pretty
hopless on all gardening matters,so you might start to get a lot of
questions from me on this group. Anyway my 1st isnt to do with garden
plants but house plants. Years ago my wife attended a well known
stately home and sneakly took a cutting off a spider plant. This soon
grew into a fantastic plant but when she got ill i stupidly fogot to
water it so it dried up. So months later in memory of her i got
another cutting from the same plant,but how do i grow it. For now ive
left it in water overnight as it seems to have a few very small greeny
roots. Should i put it in compost in a pot and if so do i need rooting
compound. Thanks Dave... Oh by the way a friend tells me i can buy a
rose called Angie/Angela is this true and when would it be
available???

Spider plants propagate very easily. If the offset has got roots, just plant it
up, you don't need rooting powder. Keep the compost moist for the first few weeks
while the roots develop.
Spider plants are virtually indestructible - but they do need watering
occasionally! They form thick white tuberous roots that can store lots of water,
and can withstand much neglect. Take care also not to over-water - this is how
most people kill houseplants. If you are not sure, just water it when the leaves
start to look a little limp or have show signs of losing their glossiness.

Drakanthus.

(Spam filter: Include the word VB anywhere in the subject line or emails
will never reach me.)

Old 16-04-2003, 09:20 PM
Sarah Dale

On Tue, 15 Apr 2003 23:32:48 +0000, DaveA wrote:

another cutting from the same plant,but how do i grow it. For now ive
left it in water overnight as it seems to have a few very small greeny
roots. Should i put it in compost in a pot and if so do i need rooting
compound. Thanks Dave... Oh by the way a friend tells me i can buy a

Hi Dave,

Sorry to hear of your loss. Spider plants should come as baby plants that
look like small spiders with sort of a lump at the bottom and little
stubby roots - they don't tend to come as cuttings.

You can leave you baby spider in water whilst the roots grow a bit and
then put it in a pot. Howver, it would be btter to get a smallish post -
say 3" diameter for now, fill with compost, make a hole in the middle,
put the baby spider in the middle, and firm the compost round it. Water
well, and keep extra damp for a few weeks while the plant establishes.
You'll be pleased to know that spider plants are pretty bomb proof -
even my student brother has managed to keep his going!

For good all round general help, you could watch Gardeners World - BBC2 at
8.30pm on Fridays - new series has just re-started. The Internet also has
lots of good stuff if you look for it, and of course here, where we of URG
are usually extremely friendly and very helpful. Just remember, the only
silly question is the one you didn't ask!

Sarah