Old 23-11-2006, 08:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Tree-fruit ID pelase ?

Hi

A friend in France has asked me to ID a tree/fruit she saw there........ I
have no idea what it is.
I thought it looks a bit like an olive until I read her description.......

Anyone else have an idea ??

http://www.ljconline.nl/garden/oddsandsods.htm

--
Jenny (the Netherlands)
remove squirrel to reply

Old 23-11-2006, 09:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"JennyC" wrote in message
Hi

A friend in France has asked me to ID a tree/fruit she saw there........ I
have no idea what it is.
I thought it looks a bit like an olive until I read her description.......

Anyone else have an idea ??

http://www.ljconline.nl/garden/oddsandsods.htm

--
Jenny (the Netherlands)
remove squirrel to reply

Not absolutely sure but it looks a lot like Acca selweliana (sp) the
pineapple guava. as a shrub or small tree it grows and flowers outside in
the uk but seldom sets fruit.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 23-11-2006, 10:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message

"JennyC" wrote in message
Hi

A friend in France has asked me to ID a tree/fruit she saw there........
have no idea what it is.
I thought it looks a bit like an olive until I read her
description.......

Anyone else have an idea ??

http://www.ljconline.nl/garden/oddsandsods.htm

--
Jenny (the Netherlands)
remove squirrel to reply

Not absolutely sure but it looks a lot like Acca selweliana (sp) the
pineapple guava. as a shrub or small tree it grows and flowers outside in
the uk but seldom sets fruit.
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

That was fast Charlie :~))
Certainly looks similar to the photo's - duly forwarded - will report back
asap
Jenny

Old 23-11-2006, 11:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Plants for problem place......

"JennyC" wrote
"Charlie Pridham" wrote
"JennyC" wrote
Hi
A friend in France has asked me to ID a tree/fruit she saw there........
Ihave no idea what it is.
I thought it looks a bit like an olive until I read her
description.......
Anyone else have an idea ??
http://www.ljconline.nl/garden/oddsandsods.htm
Jenny (the Netherlands)

Not absolutely sure but it looks a lot like Acca selweliana (sp) the
pineapple guava. as a shrub or small tree it grows and flowers outside in
the uk but seldom sets fruit.
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Isn't internet wonderful :~))
You have hit it on the head:~))

PS She is now totally convinced that URG is full of gardening experts and
has asked the following:

"Yup, reckon he's right - good chap Charlie, must really know his plants"
"Perhaps he could tell me what other 'exotic' but frost hardy (down to minus
14) plants grow in pure chalk with a thin middle PH (6.5) residual topsoil
where summer temperatures can reach 50° and we can have three months without
any real rain !!!! ?"

Jenny

Old 23-11-2006, 04:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"JennyC" wrote in message

[...]

Hardly Cornwall is it!!
Still I recently read (2006) a good piece in "The Garden" on fruit such as
Quinces and Figs, where there has apparently been much progress with
varieties, which now give better more usable crops, be worth a read. But the
stated conditions are so far from mine I can help from experience.

Old 23-11-2006, 04:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"JennyC" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks anyway :~)
Jenny

Old 23-11-2006, 05:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

JennyC wrote:
Hi

A friend in France has asked me to ID a tree/fruit she saw
there........ I have no idea what it is.
I thought it looks a bit like an olive until I read her
description.......
Anyone else have an idea ??

http://www.ljconline.nl/garden/oddsandsods.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feijoa Have four in front of me just like
yours. Very odd to eat.... Bravely tried one whole, skin and all, after
reading it was edible on the nursery label.

Les

--
Remove Frontal Lobes to reply direct.

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our
brains drop out. (Richard Dawkins)

http://armsofmorpheus.blogspot.com/

http://www.richarddawkins.net/index.php

Les Hemmings a.a #2251 SA

Old 24-11-2006, 05:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Les Hemmings" wrote in message

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feijoa Have four in front of me just

like
yours. Very odd to eat.... Bravely tried one whole, skin and all,

after
reading it was edible on the nursery label.

Peel the fruit and make sure it's ripe or you'll get an acidy, mealy
mouth feel. They are lovely ripe.

Old 24-11-2006, 08:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Les Hemmings" wrote
JennyC wrote:
Hi
A friend in France has asked me to ID a tree/fruit she saw
there........ I have no idea what it is.
I thought it looks a bit like an olive until I read her
description.......
Anyone else have an idea ??
http://www.ljconline.nl/garden/oddsandsods.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feijoa Have four in front of me just like
yours. Very odd to eat.... Bravely tried one whole, skin and all, after
reading it was edible on the nursery label.
Les

Thanks Charlie and Les - thats the one :~))
Jenny