Old 16-12-2006, 12:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default New lawn dying

"Emery Davis" wrote in message
On Fri, 15 Dec 2006 18:02:52 -0000
"Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)" wrote:

The Osakazuki is doing fine. Good autumn colour this year, unlike last
year
when just as the thing was starting to colour we had a brief severe frost
and all leaves dropped off. It started the year covered in those white
bug
things
(scale/mealy) but that was sorted with a violent blast from a hose.
It never flinched once in that very hot dry July -so it's a definite
Gudun
in sun.

Glad to hear it. Even with my usual irregular watering (long way from the
spigot)
mine did fine too. I don't think it even showed much leaf burn, which is
impressive
for a newly planted palmatum. On the other hand, not much colour,
although it
wasn't alone in that. Of the palmatums only Okagami and Ariadne (and to
some
extent Mirte) showed any colour this year before the gales blasted them.
Almost
none of the other maples coloured either.

I'd be a little careful with violent hosing of the palmatum, though, they
can be
very prone to bark damage. Although with the mealies, I'm not sure what
other
options there are.

-E
--
Emery Davis
You can reply to ecom

Mealies can be a right pain can't they -sap sucking little barstewards. On
house plants the traditional remedy was to dob them with methylated spirits.
You probably know what I mean but it is the purple dyed alcohol that has a
1001 uses. Unfortunately the original formulation has changed over the years
and now contains a couple of nasty chemicals which can have a drastic effect
on plants --i.e. death.
I use vodka (nearest thing to pure alcohol) which is very effective but you
do have to treat over several weeks to eradicate them.
Alcohol tends to dehydrate plants so I usually spray the plant with water
before and after treatment.
Methinks using those impregnated tissue things (Wet ones) would probably be
a quicker way. I have a Cycad in the house which succumbed to the dreaded
bugs-it's rather therapeutic spending hours hitting them with a cotton bud
soaked in Vodka.
OK I hear you--Rupert get a life :-)

Old 16-12-2006, 11:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JT JT is offline

Thanks for your thoughts

1 What have you growing near it that may change the soil acid/alkali
levels?

Nothing

2 Is there a clay subsoil much lower down?

0ne foot down clay

3 If you remove the top 2" what does it smell like?

ok

4 In the "Circle" is there any drainage away under the rim?

Now theres a point, no....

I will have a word with the landscaper

Old 16-12-2006, 04:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"JT" wrote in message
.uk...
Thanks for your thoughts

1 What have you growing near it that may change the soil acid/alkali
levels?

Nothing

Counts out changes in alkaline or acids then

2 Is there a clay subsoil much lower down?

0ne foot down clay

Ok.......How *do* you expect the water to drain away? Clay will act as a
barrier to the water drainage. Low levels in the clay produce wet patches
much like a bowl. Unless you are relaying onto a GOOD drainage material
try...

Removing top 3" of turf/soil.
Herringbone the area to a depth of 6-8" with a French drain effect around 4"
wide leading out to a free drain area or sump, fill with pea shingle. Lay a
layer of woven polypropelene over the drain areas and recover using quality
soil, weed free, and relay with new turf where required adding some quality
seed as you go in the mix.

3 If you remove the top 2" what does it smell like?

ok

Negates dead matter casuing the problem

4 In the "Circle" is there any drainage away under the rim?

Now theres a point, no....

I will have a word with the landscaper

Word?

Try the words.... "It need relaying because you didn't provide drainage"
It might help

;-)